2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

Cold air intake options and why

20K views 64 replies 9 participants last post by  2020 accord sport se 
#1 ·
I have a 2018 Honda Accord 2.0t, I am looking at adding a cold air intake over oem intake. Was curious about best options and results. I know pretty much any cold air will increase spooling noises from the turbo, which is a plus, but if I can get a bit of performance increase as well why not right! Lol rest of the car is stock for now.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Perfect thanks all for the information so far! I have some questions on the Hondata stage 2 tune. I've read it's night and day driving different, really wakes up the engine, how badly does it affect fuel efficiency? I still use the car as daily driver and don't want atrocious mpg.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
In my experience, it does not change MPGs all that much. Obviously that will fluctuate depending on driving style. For me, my mpg fluctuate a lot due to mainly doing short city trips which hurt the numbers. But I can manage to average mid to low 20s. But other memebrs here have averaged much higher numbers consistently.
So most of my commuting right now is about 10 miles to work so I've been averaging around 26 mpg, it's like 2 miles in town and 8 miles out of town. So it probably wouldn't change a whole lot. I've never tuned a car and just bought my 2018 3 weeks ago so a little nervous buying a tune.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
This is my second go-around with Hondata. I had it previously on my 2007 Civic Si. I have been running Stage 2 Tune for a couple of months. That being said, my car only has 8,000 miles. I have had zero issues. At this point, Hondata has this down to a science. You plug it in, flash the tune, and forget it. I trust in the reliability and strength of the tune. For me, that was the most important thing, safety and trust. To be sure that the car wasn't being harmed. Hondata provides that trust that they know what they are doing. (FYI I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT K TUNER DOES AS WELL) Also, there's a ton of members who have been running tunes for 30,000+ miles with little to no issues.
How big of a difference does the stage 2 make? I know right now I lose traction if I really get into it.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Hondata Stage 2, I can make my winter tires spin in 5th gear. it definitely is a night and day difference.

Not much of a hit in the gas mileage but As said above, it all depends on the driving style. Having the intake sounds doesn't help with the driving habits :devilish:
I have been driving mine a little hard just trying to hear the turbo and bov and it's hard to hear sometimes!

And dang tire spin in 5th gear!!! Looks like something I will be getting? Does anyone know how much the stage 2 increases hp and torque by?

Discussion starter · #23 ·
If loss of warranty is of concern I would not recommend any tuning device. Some (vendors) will say their products will allow car to be restored to OEM tune/settings without leaving a trace that an aftermarket tune has/had been installed. Take that with a grain of salt as our cars have the technology to log data of how the car has been used/driven (IE: boost settings, RPM range, etc., etc.) if checking those logs and that data is out of OEM settings your warranty will be voided on the spot even if your car is back to OEM tune/settings at the time.
That is truly helpful, I think I'm going to drive it for a little while, make sure there aren't any potential issues, and then look into a tune. Will doing things like adding a cold air intake void warranties because it's not oem?

Discussion starter · #28 ·
My dealership told me if I mod my car and bring it in for a warranty issue, they will "help me out" by telling me to put it back to stock and come back to then so they can put the claim in.

If the time ever comes tho, I'm sure I'll be haggling for service.
That's awesome of your dealership! My brother was saying I should change the bov spring, I wasn't sure if he literally just meant I different spring or a bov that would hold boost longer. What mods has everyone done to there cars?

Discussion starter · #32 ·
You want to avoid changing the BOV. Not sure about what the spring change involves, that's the first I've heard of it for a stock BOV. In our cars the air recirculates from the BOV so changing to one that throws some air out to atmosphere is a no no because it throws off the sensors and air/fuel ratio.

Intake, downpipe, intercooler, flex kit, are a good place to start and then civic type-r turbo swap can be done as well.
Type r turbo I'm guessing is larger? Probably fairly expensive swap? With the added boost from that turbo do any internals need upgraded?

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Ah another question what octane fuel do you generally run? I've done both 91 and 87, I haven't driven enough to notice much of a difference, but didn't know if engine runs better on one or the other

Discussion starter · #35 ·
It is awesome how helpful this community is!

I probably wont upgrade the turbo anytime soon, I think I will do an intake in near future. By downpipe you mean after market exhaust correct? If so I will probably do that as well to get a slightly meaner exhaust.

What is flex kit, have not heard of that?

Does the oem intercooler perform poorly under the added hp and workload?

Discussion starter · #48 ·
I made up a performance upgrade wish list from information gathered on this forum and other sources. Total cost of parts came to $7+K.... now all I need to do is win the lottery. 😁

PRL Civic Type-R FK8 P600 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade $2649.99
PRL Plug ‘N Play Flex Fuel Kit $499.99
PRL High Volume Intake System $399.99
PRL Street Downpipe & Front Pipe Combo Upgrade $829.99
PRL Intercooler Upgrade $599.99
PTP Turbo Blanket (PRL) $135.95
K-Tuner or Hondata $649.00/$695.00
Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can $270.00
Borla Cat-Back Exhaust System $1,049.99 (PRL)
Hot damn, if I win the lottery and it's the big one I'll take that mod list and send everyone the parts lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.