2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts
The possible loss of warranty is the part that makes me want to wait a little while just to make sure but at the same time it's a honda what's gonna break on it lol
If loss of warranty is of concern I would not recommend any tuning device. Some (vendors) will say their products will allow car to be restored to OEM tune/settings without leaving a trace that an aftermarket tune has/had been installed. Take that with a grain of salt as our cars have the technology to log data of how the car has been used/driven (IE: boost settings, RPM range, etc., etc.) if checking those logs and that data is out of OEM settings your warranty will be voided on the spot even if your car is back to OEM tune/settings at the time.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
If loss of warranty is of concern I would not recommend any tuning device. Some (vendors) will say their products will allow car to be restored to OEM tune/settings without leaving a trace that an aftermarket tune has/had been installed. Take that with a grain of salt as our cars have the technology to log data of how the car has been used/driven (IE: boost settings, RPM range, etc., etc.) if checking those logs and that data is out of OEM settings your warranty will be voided on the spot even if your car is back to OEM tune/settings at the time.
That is truly helpful, I think I'm going to drive it for a little while, make sure there aren't any potential issues, and then look into a tune. Will doing things like adding a cold air intake void warranties because it's not oem?

That is truly helpful, I think I'm going to drive it for a little while, make sure there aren't any potential issues, and then look into a tune. Will doing things like adding a cold air intake void warranties because it's not oem?
IMO a CAI shouldn't impact the warranty as it doesn't adjust any of the OEM tune/settings... but that's just my opinion. 🙂

Couldn't have said it better!

My dealership told me if I mod my car and bring it in for a warranty issue, they will "help me out" by telling me to put it back to stock and come back to then so they can put the claim in.

If the time ever comes tho, I'm sure I'll be haggling for service.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
My dealership told me if I mod my car and bring it in for a warranty issue, they will "help me out" by telling me to put it back to stock and come back to then so they can put the claim in.

That's awesome of your dealership! My brother was saying I should change the bov spring, I wasn't sure if he literally just meant I different spring or a bov that would hold boost longer. What mods has everyone done to there cars?

That's awesome of your dealership! My brother was saying I should change the bov spring, I wasn't sure if he literally just meant I different spring or a bov that would hold boost longer. What mods has everyone done to there cars?
You want to avoid changing the BOV. Not sure about what the spring change involves, that's the first I've heard of it for a stock BOV. In our cars the air recirculates from the BOV so changing to one that throws some air out to atmosphere is a no no because it throws off the sensors and air/fuel ratio.

Intake, downpipe, intercooler, flex kit, are a good place to start and then civic type-r turbo swap can be done as well.

Don't go BOV, they sound cool but with the location of the stock recirc valve and the MAF dumping to atmosphere just throws off AFRs. It doesn't sound like running rich for a split second after a shift sounds that bad but overtime that excess unaccounted for fuel will just be problems. You can get an aftermarket recirc valve with stronger internals that will avoid potential boost leak if you plan on turning up the boost. He may be thinking of wastegate spring but I'm pretty sure they're electronically gated as opposed to the traditional mechanical set up of the past.

Have heard that being told before... Funny if it isn't written/documented how fast a dealership will back out of it, especially if for any reason Honda wants to send a factory rep to look at your car prior to authorizing warranty work. Another thing of concern is if your car breaks down away from this dealer... your choices are take a chance taking it to closest dealer or having the car towed back to your dealership. You said it right and are aware that if needed you'll be "haggling for service".

Discussion starter · #32 ·
You want to avoid changing the BOV. Not sure about what the spring change involves, that's the first I've heard of it for a stock BOV. In our cars the air recirculates from the BOV so changing to one that throws some air out to atmosphere is a no no because it throws off the sensors and air/fuel ratio.

Intake, downpipe, intercooler, flex kit, are a good place to start and then civic type-r turbo swap can be done as well.
Type r turbo I'm guessing is larger? Probably fairly expensive swap? With the added boost from that turbo do any internals need upgraded?

Discussion starter · #35 ·
It is awesome how helpful this community is!

I probably wont upgrade the turbo anytime soon, I think I will do an intake in near future. By downpipe you mean after market exhaust correct? If so I will probably do that as well to get a slightly meaner exhaust.

What is flex kit, have not heard of that?

Does the oem intercooler perform poorly under the added hp and workload?

It is awesome how helpful this community is!

I probably wont upgrade the turbo anytime soon, I think I will do an intake in near future. By downpipe you mean after market exhaust correct? If so I will probably do that as well to get a slightly meaner exhaust.

What is flex kit, have not heard of that?

Does the oem intercooler perform poorly under the added hp and workload?
downpipe is the exhaust pipe coming down from the exhaust side of the turbo leading to the rest of the exhaust under the car. flex kit, or flex fuel kit, allows you to run different variation of higher ethanol content fuels for increased performance which requires the kit and a new tune, check out the likes of prl for a kit like that. they offer tunes for it as does phearable.net. The intercooler on my 17 civic si was useless after a single pull in the texas summer. I've heard complaints of the 2.0 accord and type r having cooling issues. if you want big power and dont want it to fade its worth the investment to upgrade the intercooler and piping. you won't see monster power gains from just that but you will keep the gains you have from accompanying power adders, especially in warmer temps.

downpipe is the exhaust pipe coming down from the exhaust side of the turbo leading to the rest of the exhaust under the car. flex kit, or flex fuel kit, allows you to run different variation of higher ethanol content fuels for increased performance which requires the kit and a new tune, check out the likes of prl for a kit like that. they offer tunes for it as does phearable.net. The intercooler on my 17 civic si was useless after a single pull in the texas summer. I've heard complaints of the 2.0 accord and type r having cooling issues. if you want big power and dont want it to fade its worth the investment to upgrade the intercooler and piping. you won't see monster power gains from just that but you will keep the gains you have from accompanying power adders, especially in warmer temps.
I've noticed the better cooling difference in being able to do more pulls one after another and not feel the engine bog down with heat.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.