2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

Cold air intake options and why

20K views 64 replies 9 participants last post by  2020 accord sport se 
#1 ·
I have a 2018 Honda Accord 2.0t, I am looking at adding a cold air intake over oem intake. Was curious about best options and results. I know pretty much any cold air will increase spooling noises from the turbo, which is a plus, but if I can get a bit of performance increase as well why not right! Lol rest of the car is stock for now.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums!

I've been told the K&N design is not good and there are better options out there. Most people are running Mishimoto or PRL.

Mishimoto has the cone out in the open with more WHOOSH sounds, but it's not as cold air as the PRL would be as it's collecting hot engine air.

PRL has a box enclosure and this is the route I went with. It does muffle a lot of the intake sound but is the best performance option for the 2.0T.

I would recommend keeping your climate in mind when making a decision. If you're in the north with colder temps, you can get away with the Mishimoto or other open-air filter designs. If you're further south in a hotter area, get the PRL so the air stays cooler.

I'm in the north and decided to get the PRL for performance, but during the winter months, I take off the side panel on the box so I can hear the beautiful turbo noises!

#3 ·
As @NYounus mentioned some that have went w/the open cold air intake have found that they are getting hot air from motor. IMO the enclosed systems will provide better performance (if that's what you're after) and the open systems will provide the "whoosh" sound but lessen performance. Some have found that just installing a better filter (K&N) in OEM box have provided increase in performance.

#8 ·
I will definitely agree wit you on your point. I put the K&N high performance air filter into my OEM airbox on my 2.0T Sport, and I definitely notice a little better performance/responsiveness from the engine, and revving out each gear! I was also on the fence about a cold air intake. However, the power gains you make are very minimal compared with the actual cost of the intake system. That's the problem with it!

#9 ·
I just installed the PRL HVI. Can't speak to performance, because i installed downpipe and charge pipe as well. I'm running stage 2 Hondata tune. But i can definitely tell you the whoosh sounds are real. For me in it was an added benefit. A bit more sportiness to the engine. I'm my experience, cold air intakes don't do well in heat and stop and go traffic is a killer. The enclosure PRL system was the way to go for me. Now i get a nice whoooshing reminder of the turbo.

#10 ·
Perfect thanks all for the information so far! I have some questions on the Hondata stage 2 tune. I've read it's night and day driving different, really wakes up the engine, how badly does it affect fuel efficiency? I still use the car as daily driver and don't want atrocious mpg.

#11 ·
In my experience, it does not change MPGs all that much. Obviously that will fluctuate depending on driving style. For me, my mpg fluctuate a lot due to mainly doing short city trips which hurt the numbers. But I can manage to average mid to low 20s. But other memebrs here have averaged much higher numbers consistently.

#12 ·
So most of my commuting right now is about 10 miles to work so I've been averaging around 26 mpg, it's like 2 miles in town and 8 miles out of town. So it probably wouldn't change a whole lot. I've never tuned a car and just bought my 2018 3 weeks ago so a little nervous buying a tune.

#14 ·
This is my second go-around with Hondata. I had it previously on my 2007 Civic Si. I have been running Stage 2 Tune for a couple of months. That being said, my car only has 8,000 miles. I have had zero issues. At this point, Hondata has this down to a science. You plug it in, flash the tune, and forget it. I trust in the reliability and strength of the tune. For me, that was the most important thing, safety and trust. To be sure that the car wasn't being harmed. Hondata provides that trust that they know what they are doing. (FYI I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT K TUNER DOES AS WELL) Also, there's a ton of members who have been running tunes for 30,000+ miles with little to no issues.
How big of a difference does the stage 2 make? I know right now I lose traction if I really get into it.

#35 ·
It is awesome how helpful this community is!

I probably wont upgrade the turbo anytime soon, I think I will do an intake in near future. By downpipe you mean after market exhaust correct? If so I will probably do that as well to get a slightly meaner exhaust.

What is flex kit, have not heard of that?

Does the oem intercooler perform poorly under the added hp and workload?

#36 ·
It is awesome how helpful this community is!

I probably wont upgrade the turbo anytime soon, I think I will do an intake in near future. By downpipe you mean after market exhaust correct? If so I will probably do that as well to get a slightly meaner exhaust.

What is flex kit, have not heard of that?

Does the oem intercooler perform poorly under the added hp and workload?
downpipe is the exhaust pipe coming down from the exhaust side of the turbo leading to the rest of the exhaust under the car. flex kit, or flex fuel kit, allows you to run different variation of higher ethanol content fuels for increased performance which requires the kit and a new tune, check out the likes of prl for a kit like that. they offer tunes for it as does phearable.net. The intercooler on my 17 civic si was useless after a single pull in the texas summer. I've heard complaints of the 2.0 accord and type r having cooling issues. if you want big power and dont want it to fade its worth the investment to upgrade the intercooler and piping. you won't see monster power gains from just that but you will keep the gains you have from accompanying power adders, especially in warmer temps.

#47 ·
I made up a performance upgrade wish list from information gathered on this forum and other sources. Total cost of parts came to $7+K.... now all I need to do is win the lottery. 😁

PRL Civic Type-R FK8 P600 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade $2649.99
PRL Plug ‘N Play Flex Fuel Kit $499.99
PRL High Volume Intake System $399.99
PRL Street Downpipe & Front Pipe Combo Upgrade $829.99
PRL Intercooler Upgrade $599.99
PTP Turbo Blanket (PRL) $135.95
K-Tuner or Hondata $649.00/$695.00
Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can $270.00
Borla Cat-Back Exhaust System $1,049.99 (PRL)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.