2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just bought a 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T a few months ago and I want to purchase larger wheels for the car since the ones that came with it are 17". I've been doing alot of research and still can't decide on the size of the larger wheels. I really want to get 20" because I love the look more than the 19". Although the 19" seem to be less risky (more stock) because the sport wheels are 19". I was hoping some of you can help me out and give me some tips/suggestions on the fitment of the wheels I provide at the end and what you're running and what data you have as far as handling, performance, rubbing, etc. I've seen alot of these posts on here and I believe I should be fine with the 20" but I wanted some feedback from other Accord owners before I make my final decision. Thank you in advance.

One thing I'll point out too is I do alot of highway driving and wondering how much more the 20" would affect me in the long run. Also another concern I have is what lug nuts can I use to mount these. Never purchased a set of wheels before so I'm new to this aspect.
TireRack says they will send me lugnuts that fit my car if I buy the wheel tire combo.

I'm looking at purchasing some Enkei Phantoms 20x8.5 +40mm 6.34" backspacing 27.1lbs per wheel w/ ContinentalExtremeContact DWS Plus 245/35ZR20

STOCK - 225/50R17

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
520 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing some Enkei Phantoms 20x8.5 +40mm 6.34" backspacing 27.1lbs per wheel w/ ContinentalExtremeContact DWS Plus 245/35ZR20
Do a few searches here and on other accord forums - there are a lot of posts on what people are running. Also check websites like Fitment Industries. Assuming the bolt pattern is the same, the set up you listed would most likely work ok. Some people don't believe in them but I would recommend getting hub rings as well. Double check the rolling diameter of your new tires vs OEM to see how much it may affect your speedometer accuracy. Your lugnuts will depend on what is required for the specific wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly depends on which size I get. I have to see how it looks but If I get 19" then probably lower it a lil with springs. I hear most get about an inch drop. If I get the 20" then I think I'll leave it stock because I worry about rubbing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do a few searches here and on other accord forums - there are a lot of posts on what people are running. Also check websites like Fitment Industries. Assuming the bolt pattern is the same, the set up you listed would most likely work ok. Some people don't believe in them but I would recommend getting hub rings as well. Double check the rolling diameter of your new tires vs OEM to see how much it may affect your speedometer accuracy. Your lugnuts will depend on what is required for the specific wheels.
Yup I've looked at FI and a couple other places and that encourages me to get the 20". Yes the bolt pattern fits. Yea I've looked at willtheyfit.com and plugged in a few numbers and with the 20" I would be off by 3.04% so at 60mph it would read 58mph. That worries me a lil. If I run 245/30 instead of 245/35 then I'll be about 0.5% but at point I feel I'll feel every bump plus not as many tire choices. Honestly with the 19" the numbers work better across the board. Sounds like a no brainer to get the 19" but I'm stubborn on the look. Do you know alot of people get hub rings? Any recommendations on good lugnuts?

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
520 Posts
If it reads low, you'll be saving a little mileage! ;) I have hub rings for my wheels - they weren't very expensive and give me a little peace of mind. Lugnuts? Dunno, maybe some theft resistant ones that look good with your wheels...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone I just bought a 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T a few months ago and I want to purchase larger wheels for the car since the ones that came with it are 17". I've been doing alot of research and still can't decide on the size of the larger wheels. I really want to get 20" because I love the look more than the 19". Although the 19" seem to be less risky (more stock) because the sport wheels are 19". I was hoping some of you can help me out and give me some tips/suggestions on the fitment of the wheels I provide at the end and what you're running and what data you have as far as handling, performance, rubbing, etc. I've seen alot of these posts on here and I believe I should be fine with the 20" but I wanted some feedback from other Accord owners before I make my final decision. Thank you in advance.

One thing I'll point out too is I do alot of highway driving and wondering how much more the 20" would affect me in the long run. Also another concern I have is what lug nuts can I use to mount these. Never purchased a set of wheels before so I'm new to this aspect.
TireRack says they will send me lugnuts that fit my car if I buy the wheel tire combo.

STOCK - 225/50R17

STOCK - 225/50R17
when looking for 19 or 20" wheels, make sure they don't jut out like factory wheels. the o.e. 19's stick out just a hair, but seems to make it a natural curb magnet

·
Administrator
2,837 Posts
Do you know alot of people get hub rings?
Learned something new... wasn't aware of what hub rings are and what determined if they were needed so did a Google search and found the video below explaining what they were, when they were needed, and how to get the correct ones/size...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when looking for 19 or 20" wheels, make sure they don't jut out like factory wheels. the o.e. 19's stick out just a hair, but seems to make it a natural curb magnet
No worries there car is always parked inside garage and in big parking lot at work away from any curbs and I'm always conscious about keeping away from them.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
560 Posts
The facotory wheels aren't the problem so much as the factory tire sizing. run a wider tire on the factory wheels and the sidewall will hang over the face of the wheel adding some curb protection. the factory tire size leaves the sidewall almost stretched a little like a stanced car which opens up the face the of wheel to damage more easily. there's some guys on here who have posted pics of running wider tires on stock sport wheels and you can see where that pushes the sidewall out beyond the wheel just enough to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this exact same question and am still going back and forth. I have a 2020 Honda Accord EX with stock 17" wheels. I was looking to get 19" but then fell into the mindset of, well why not 20"? Like op, I don't plan on lowering, I drive mainly highways as an everyday commuter. Because I don't plan on changing suspension, I think the 20" would look much nicer. But I'm worried about ride quality and tire durability with 20". I don't want to have to buy new tires all the time. I also don't want to have backaches from a car feeling stiff and bouncy.

Has anyone been driving 20" on their Accord for several years (maybe you 2018 owners?) and regret getting the 20" and would've preferred to just get 19"?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Technically the best setup for the 20" is 245/30R20 to avoid speedo error or makes it very minimal but the 30mm had limited tires for it and I believe it would make the ride that much stiffer. The 35mm gives it a little more cushion and I see alot of people running that setup plus tons of tire availability in that size. There's a 3.34% speedo error going from the 17" to the 20" but if you compare the 19" sport rims to the 20" setup is becomes very minimal. Check out fitmentindustries.com to see what guys are running plus willtheyfit.com and that might help you decide too.

I was trying to get feedback about the ride quality too but I guess I'll just have to find out once I get them. I will let you know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m still debating whether or not I want to get 19s or 20s. If I go 19s with same size as stock I can save money buying the same size just different offset to save money on tires haha. But the full send side of me says just buy the 20s and new tires and try to go for the best fit look. But the Work wheels I want are made to order which will take 12 weeks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m still debating whether or not I want to get 19s or 20s. If I go 19s with same size as stock I can save money buying the same size just different offset to save money on tires haha. But the full send side of me says just buy the 20s and new tires and try to go for the best fit look. But the Work wheels I want are made to order which will take 12 weeks
I get where you're coming from. For me its only about $150 price difference so I've convinced myself to get the 20" lol. I'm also trying not to go too crazy and overspend on the rims since I drive alot. One of my buddies just ordered his wheels and they told him 8 weeks but he spent almost $4k. I'm gna be at about $2500 with everything installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get where you're coming from. For me its only about $150 price difference so I've convinced myself to get the 20" lol. I'm also trying not to go too crazy and overspend on the rims since I drive alot. One of my buddies just ordered his wheels and they told him 8 weeks but he spent almost $4k. I'm gna be at about $2500 with everything installed.
What did you end up deciding? I am likely getting Niche Verona M150 in 20 in. I really love the stock driving experience on the 2018 sport, but the rims are really going to seal the deal for me. I don't want to lower the car so 20 in. just seems to make sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ended up getting 20's. I like how it looks but I'm definitely noticing the gap. Now I'm seriously contemplating lowering the car....doing research on springs vs. coilovers.

What did you end up deciding? I am likely getting Niche Verona M150 in 20 in. I really love the stock driving experience on the 2018 sport, but the rim mommys are really going to seal the deal for me. I don't want to lower the car so 20 in. just seems to make sense.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE 7/5
Hey everyone! So I finally got the wheels and got them installed this weekend. I love the look and I'm very happy with the result! I will admit the car does look like it needs to be lowered now so I will be looking into getting some lowering springs. The ride comfort is nice and yes they are a bit louder but that was expected since I went from 17" to 20". If you go from the 19" sport wheels to 20" you probably won't notice a big difference. I also didn't need hub rings which I was expecting to put on. These wheels fit like a glove like they were meant to be. No rubbing at all with the 245/35R20 setup either which was my biggest concern. I only took some fast pics right after install and after wash. Will post a link to some better pics once I take some. Let me know what you think and any other questions you might have.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Before

After

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 29 Posts