2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in January I purchased a 1.5 2018 Honda Accord. I put a k&n intake kit on it, and cut the mufflers off to give it a little sound. So, here we are, only a few months later and all of the warning lights are on, along with sputtering. I changed the spark plugs and injectors, and been to the dealership three time. The dealer claimed that because i put the k&n intake system on it causing this issue. So, I took it off and put on the stock, three days later. You guess it, back on, I called the dealership and now he is telling me that because someone cut the catalytic converter off it's the car is running rich. Note I said mufflers and not the converters, I'm burnt out mentally. Had the car only three months, only put 4k miles on it.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (Still Night Pearl)
110 Posts
Those are some strange issues you are experiencing and I wouldn't think your small modifications would cause this. I have the 2.0T with a DC Sports Exhaust and a Mishimoto intake, I have never had a single light come on once. I have serviced at the dealer one time since having these mods and nothing was said about them (Although, I do work at a Honda dealer)

Does the K&N intake you installed have an exposed cone filter? (not covered with a box). Could water have gotten into the intake? Are you able to pull any CEL codes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are some strange issues you are experiencing and I wouldn't think your small modifications would cause this. I have the 2.0T with a DC Sports Exhaust and a Mishimoto intake, I have never had a single light come on once. I have serviced at the dealer one time since having these mods and nothing was said about them (Although, I do work at a Honda dealer)

Does the K&N intake you installed have an exposed cone filter? (not covered with a box). Could water have gotten into the intake? Are you able to pull any CEL codes?
The K&N intake has an exposed cone, but has the partially open box ( heatshield I take it). i have reinstalled the OEM intake and its still doing the same stuff, and honestly i doubt any water has gotten into the intake. the only code that i seen from a scanner was the misfire in bank four( changed the sparks and coils btw). my next step is the injectors.

·
Registered
Lunar Silver 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
341 Posts
The Cat is on the downpipe. Did you put a new downpipe on? Mufflers don’t do anything to cause lights on the dash. Sounds like warranty to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Cat is on the downpipe. Did you put a new downpipe on? Mufflers don’t do anything to cause lights on the dash. Sounds like warranty to me.
Exactly, and nothing but cut the mufflers and put an k&n intake system on, cat is still on the car. But i went back to stock intake (per dealership) to see if it will fix the issue. They are saying the car is burning too rich idk man, I'm guessing it's the injectors (oil dilution problem), since i did buy the car used at 55k miles.

·
Administrator
2,844 Posts
Sounds like warranty to me.
I'm guessing it's the injectors (oil dilution problem), since i did buy the car used at 55k miles.
Being that it's a '18 the 3 yr/36k warranty has expired, mileage at time of purchase was 55k if it's now over 60k on the car the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty has also expired (if it's honored to used car purchases).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Being that it's a '18 the 3 yr/36k warranty has expired, mileage at time of purchase was 55k if it's now over 60k on the car the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty has also expired (if it's honored to used car purchases).
When I purchased the car it was a certified pre-owned, so it had 100,000 MI warranty on it. I'm calling to see now what's all covered up under the warranty.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (Still Night Pearl)
110 Posts
Could certainly be oil dilution, smell your oil and see if it smells like gasoline!

Sometimes changing the spark plug or coil pack in correlation with the cylinder that is misfiring may help. Have you checked out your spark plugs or coil packs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could certainly be oil dilution, smell your oil and see if it smells like gasoline!

Sometimes changing the spark plug or coil pack in correlation with the cylinder that is misfiring may help. Have you checked out your spark plugs or coil packs?
Yes, when I seen the code I went ahead and change out all of the spark plugs and coils

·
Administrator
2,844 Posts
When I purchased the car it was a certified pre-owned, so it had 100,000 MI warranty on it. I'm calling to see now what's all covered up under the warranty.
That'll make a difference... good luck, let us know how it goes & how it was resolved.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0t
37 Posts
Having ran a Honda service department, I can tell you that there have been numerous issues with factory fuel injectors. Multiple models were effected on 2017's and up. It should definitely be a warranty item. Best of luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dealers are really quick to blame any aftermarket part for issues and threaten to void warranties. That’s why the MMA had to be written. Stay firm and get the problem figured out. If they’ve already blamed a missing CC when it’s still on…….. yeah. Sounds typical.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts