2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at weight difference of tire and wheel. Looks like factory Sport wheel is 31.6 lbs and aftermarket wheel in 18" is 22 lbs. Factory tire size generally p235/40R19 is 23 lbs. Tire rack list 18" as p225/45R18 and that is 1/2" short. The best size is a p235/45R18 which ways roughly 25 lbs.
So you save 8 lbs per tire/wheel in 18".

·
Registered
318 Posts
Those are some pretty significant weight savings. Any particular brand of aftermarket 18's that you're looking at?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm not sure that I would spend thousands of dollars to save 32 pounds (actually, 30.4 by my calculations). I can't image such little weight reduction would make any noticeable difference.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure that I would spend thousands of dollars to save 32 pounds (actually, 30.4 by my calculations). I can't image such little weight reduction would make any noticeable difference.
Do you understand what weight rotating weight does as far as performance?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you understand what weight rotating weight does as far as performance?
No, I don't understand it. But, I'm also satisfied with the performance I'm getting with the 19" wheels on my 2.0 Turbo. Actually, I rather have 17" rims to get a softer ride, but I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on that.

BTW, What do you mean by performance? Are you talking better gas mileage, more horsepower, more torque, smoother ride, etc? And, how much more performance would I get with a 30.4 lbs reduction in the weight of the wheel's?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It takes more energy to move. It takes more power to stop. It takes more force to change direction. In general the performance is reduced.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know if there is an accurate weight to measure the increases to performance with lighter tires, but they certainly provide one. This is one of the first swaps that enthusiasts make on their new cars, as they know the OEM set is typically quite heavy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Holly Smok e those Wheels are Heavy !

I'd be Removing those in Heart Beat !
Nice 18019 lb 18" 10-15 mm Off set Stance . . Lighter Tires , My Set up on VW was 10lbs. Per Corner - Under Factory - getting rid of the Run Flats & Heavy Factory Wheels ..
At Least Volvo uses an Euro Factory and Those Rims are usually Light ..

You should be able to Drop 12 Lbs a Corner - that is Huge Step in Performance .2-.3 in the Qrt. Mile .50 sec. in 1/2 Mile .
MPG will Go Up .. to Boot . .

Just looking at weight difference of tire and wheel. Looks like factory Sport wheel is 31.6 lbs and aftermarket wheel in 18" is 22 lbs. Factory tire size generally p235/40R19 is 23 lbs. Tire rack list 18" as p225/45R18 and that is 1/2" short. The best size is a p235/45R18 which ways roughly 25 lbs.
So you save 8 lbs per tire/wheel in 18".

·
Registered
8 Posts
going smaller than factory will look anemic
seen even fat tired 18s on new accords and...i'll pass (and i'm not a big wheel type of guy)
u can get weight savings going to a decent brand name aftermarket 19" wheel, also using care when ordering tires as some are very heavy compared to others (run flats)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts