2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Accord was severely damaged yesterday in an accident and my emergency assistance failed to contact the authorities. I had my phone plugged in to use CarPlay and sitting in the cup holder. I was rear ended at about 45 while sitting still, and pushed into another car in front of me and an additional truck in front of it, 4 vehicles all together. An awful way to start my day.
What happened next was Honda link failed. Tried calling out and crickets, no error or any indication there was a failure or a connection, literally just nothing. Car was still ok, power was available, etc.
Seems like an important function to have fail at a critical time. That really bothers me. I was in the city, good access to phone service, etc.
The impact act blew the knee airbag only as well as deploying the rear safety latch system for car seats, which I didn’t have any installed. My head broke the headrest too, very strange. Everyone I’ve showed from the first responders, police, and subsequent insurance and car salespeople have never seen a case of that happening.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would get Honda involved very quickly to find out what went wrong. Please keep posted how things are progressing. Is your car being totaled or repaired? Glad you were not badly injured. Poor Accord.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Glad you are OK. The pictures show damage from a severe impact. Get yourself checked out for your own well being. The car can be replaced you cannot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Really sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you are alright. Really odd that so many of the cars safety systems failed to work correctly. I hope you've reached out to Honda for some clarification.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
Sorry to read this... glad you are ok, but like has been mentioned if you haven't already get yourself checked out by a doc. Often after an accident you have an adrenalin dump and don't feel pain only to wake up the next day (or later the same day) in excruciating pain.

Will be interesting to hear Honda's explanation as to why the emergency assistance system failed. :sad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up, spoke with Honda and they say I don’t have the option for emergency assistance. It’s only available on the elite and touring trims. I’m positive it attempted to make that call though, i didn’t have anything better to do but sit and wait for police and ems to arrive.
The airbag failure they said is by design as well, in a rear collision they said it would be more damage than good.

Pretty bummed about the whole interaction and situation, waiting to hear if it’s totalled out or not. If so, not sure I’ll buy another or not. I really love this car too, it’s been great overall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I was taken to the hospital to be seen for my injuries and have been multiple times to be checked for items sustained in the accident. Can never be too careful or vigilant when dealing with injuries from a collision. Always get checked out, no matter what happens.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
Follow up, spoke with Honda and they say I don’t have the option for emergency assistance. It’s only available on the elite and touring trims. I’m positive it attempted to make that call though, i didn’t have anything better to do but sit and wait for police and ems to arrive.
The airbag failure they said is by design as well, in a rear collision they said it would be more damage than good.

Pretty bummed about the whole interaction and situation, waiting to hear if it’s totalled out or not. If so, not sure I’ll buy another or not. I really love this car too, it’s been great overall.
Thanks for the follow up info regarding the emergency assistance as it was concerning me as I have this feature (2.0 Touring) and have added some people to notify in case of emergency (if I were unable to do so).

Sorry it wasn't included in your model... you'd think in this day and time it would be a no brainer to put this in all models. :plain:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Omg - !

Dam - It could have been Much Worst -- You would have gotten a Quick Orange Alert - then BAM !

From My Reading - If it's Iphone - Siri - Dials Out - If I understand that Correctly - but Going to a Class on This in 3 weeks ..

My Partner works for Insurance Co. , soory to say , But - get a - Lawyer Fast _ and Don't say anything to them ..
They will Dig into You & Your Doctors - Records before You can get off the Phone . .

You just lost $5K-7K right off the Value of the Accord - Instantly !

If Air Bags went Off that Might ever Right It Off .. I didn't see that so it's a Month in Body Shop . . Ouch !
Time for that Custom Exhaust or get a Low Estimate and Two High Ones . . - Use the Low one to Trade Up - If You decide to do that .. Damm

Thanks everyone, I was taken to the hospital to be seen for my injuries and have been multiple times to be checked for items sustained in the accident. Can never be too careful or vigilant when dealing with injuries from a collision. Always get checked out, no matter what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts