2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I look at the electronics in my 2019 1.5 CVT Accord and I think

1. The transmission is a rubber band (couldn't get the manual, girlfriend won't drive it)
2. There is a veritable blizzard of electronics. Even the battery doesn't look like a simple battery hookup. I wonder if I could swap it out like I did on the 2014. And I just wonder how long that stuff will last.
3. Do turbo chargers really *last*?
4. What do we know about DGI, carbon build up on the valves, and ultimate maintenance costs? Girlfriend just bought a 2020 Corolla and the phrase "direct gasoline injection with secondary port injection" caught my attention. So they have a second set of injectors to keep the valves clean....unlike us.

Meantime the car handles beautifully, better than my 2014 six speed manual, and it accelerates powerfully--also better than my 2014 six speed manual. If I didn't have a lot of doubts about all these multiple levels of new technology I would be enjoying the experience immensely.

Greg N

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well not that we're getting a whole lot of discussion on this thread but I will add this thought: Tier III emissions controls include a warranty on the emissions system of ten years or 150k miles whichever comes first.

That sounds pretty good, till I thought: What if they just fill the car with so much frilly stuff that breaks that they know people will bail out of the cars way before 150k miles, so they never have to worry about the mandatory emissions system warranty?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I looked at a number of different cars (multiple Toyotas, Chevys, Hondas) when I purchased my 2018 Hybrid Touring and they all had similar safety features some where missing one or two that the Accord had but you had to get the base model on a lot of them to get a car without most of the features, Honda was one of the few were even the base model has most of the features.

I'm a little leery of many of the features as well since the only reason I was looking for a new car was my 2008 Ford Torus Limited had on three occasions thought the steering wheel was straight when I was turning and saw the inner wheel spinning slower than the outer and since it thought I was going straight it thought the car lost traction so traction control engaged the brakes stopping me in traffic and sounding like I was dragging a garbage can under the car. On a few occasions I've had the Accord think something was in front of me when there was nothing there and it pushed the brake however I was able to push the gas and override it, with the Ford it wouldn't release the brakes until I came to a complete stop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I look at the electronics in my 2019 1.5 CVT Accord and I think

1. The transmission is a rubber band (couldn't get the manual, girlfriend won't drive it)
2. There is a veritable blizzard of electronics. Even the battery doesn't look like a simple battery hookup. I wonder if I could swap it out like I did on the 2014. And I just wonder how long that stuff will last.
3. Do turbo chargers really last?
4. What do we know about DGI, carbon build up on the valves, and ultimate maintenance costs? Girlfriend just bought a 2020 Corolla and the phrase "direct gasoline injection with secondary port injection" caught my attention. So they have a second set of injectors to keep the valves clean....unlike us.

Meantime the car handles beautifully, better than my 2014 six speed manual, and it accelerates powerfully--also better than my 2014 six speed manual. If I didn't have a lot of doubts about all these multiple levels of new technology I would be enjoying the experience immensely.

Greg N
I have faith in the car, i believe it will reach 150k but beyond that might be a hit or miss. My 2018 EX has had an axle leak and that might've ran on for maybe 10k+ miles since I'm currently at 56k miles. I have faith in the entire car except for the transmission. But if the transmission fails, i'll just buy one from car-part and have it installed. THat should run me like 3-5k but i'm fine with it. The car has been nothing but a fun thing to drive and I've modded its appearance thoroughly. Any car can hit 200k if you can maintain it properly and baby it from the getco. Except anything touched by FIAT or GM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts