2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Honda Accord, the red one as a matter a fact, since November. I was able to either disengage several of the features which seem to take over when I drive my vehicle. Now, I have noticed two things which have happened more than once, recently several times.
My vehicle excelerates without my actually stepping actively on the gas to speed it up. I mean, it revs up and speeds up for no apparent reason and my foot has not changed in pressure on the gas pedal.

Secondly, my headlights delayed in turning off in the daylight on a sunny day. Once, I had gone to a car wash and know one reason for that one might have been my car thought the car wash and the soap etc. was dusk or darkness and they automatically came on as my setting is automatic. However, once out of the car wash and upon driving more than a mile, they were still on and only turning them completely off and then back on did the headlight icon turn off. The other condition is that several times on a perfectly sunny clear day without clouds the headlights turned on as if dusk or dark. After it did it a couple times, called the service department of the dealer where my vehicle was purchased and was told sometimes it is the way the sun hits the camera which turns them on. At least once (lights on automatic) they would not turn off and I ended up turning them off completely and turn the knob back on and to automatic and they turned off. Now, these might very well be glitches. I think I have a bit over 2000 miles on it right now.
Simply, I wanted to know whether any of this has happened to anyone else and also the Service Department person's explanation makes any sense to anyone? Unless I can anticipate these two things happening, I was told there is nothing which can be done. (Service person said to me).

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't experienced any of your issues, but here are my thoughts:

For the first issue, it sounds like the Adaptive Cruise Control/Low Speed Follow feature is being used. The car will accelerate and decelerate on its own using that feature. If not intentionally using this feature, then you may have accidentally set the ACC/LSF?

For the second issue, do you have any items hanging from the rearview mirror? Are any labels, plaques, or tinted film near the rearview mirror area? If so, then the item may be casting a shadow upon the camera lens, and thereby causing it to misread the daylight settings. The dealer's response only makes sense if something is blocking the camera reading the sunlight.

Note that both issues make use of the camera behind the rearview mirror. This may be the source of your problems. In other words, that camera may be faulty.

It's hard to determine anything else without knowing a few more specifics about your car such as the year and trim level. Also, did you buy it new? Have any stock features been modified? Were any accessories added?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't experienced any of your issues, but here are my thoughts:

For the first issue, it sounds like the Adaptive Cruise Control/Low Speed Follow feature is being used. The car will accelerate and decelerate on its own using that feature. If not intentionally using this feature, then you may have accidentally set the ACC/LSF?

For the second issue, do you have any items hanging from the rearview mirror? Are any labels, plaques, or tinted film near the rearview mirror area? If so, then the item may be casting a shadow upon the camera lens, and thereby causing it to misread the daylight settings. The dealer's response only makes sense if something is blocking the camera reading the sunlight.

Note that both issues make use of the camera behind the rearview mirror. This may be the source of your problems. In other words, that camera may be faulty.

It's hard to determine anything else without knowing a few more specifics about your car such as the year and trim level. Also, did you buy it new? Have any stock features been modified? Were any accessories added?
Thank you so much for your response. I purchased the automobile new. My edition is a 2018 LX Radiant Red. It had 4 miles on it when purchased. I will check the ACC/LSF to see if I accidentally set it.

I do have mardi gras beads hanging from my rearview mirror. Nothing else. There is a film which is above on the inside where I think the camera is on the outside The automobile came like that though. I will remove the beads and see if that helps the second issue. No, the accessories added were cosmetic and not anything having to do with the actual original equipment. A gearshift section, console organizer and a rim around the start button. Otherwise, only the mardi gras beads are not part of the original items when purchased. Thank you again for your suggestions on both issues.

·
Registered
213 Posts
By tinted film I meant after-market window tinting film, not the OEM windshield film. Also, make sure there's nothing on top of the dash (such as papers, devices, etc.) which may cause interference with the camera and sensors. The use of certain windshield sunshades are also known to introduce problems with the camera and sensors.

If the problems continue, try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 seconds. This should clear any electrical faults that may be causing your issues. (Note: 10 seconds, not 10 minutes.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By tinted film I meant after-market window tinting film, not the OEM windshield film. Also, make sure there's nothing on top of the dash (such as papers, devices, etc.) which may cause interference with the camera and sensors. The use of certain windshield sunshades are also known to introduce problems with the camera and sensors.

If the problems continue, try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 seconds. This should clear any electrical faults that may be causing your issues. (Note: 10 seconds, not 10 minutes.)
Thank you for letting me know. No, I did not put anything on the windshield or dash in terms of the aftermarket. I will 10 seconds not 10 minutes, negative battery cable. Thank you again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By tinted film, I meant after-market window tinting film, not the OEM windshield film. Also, make sure there's nothing on top of the dash (such as papers, devices, etc.) which may cause interference with the camera and sensors. The use of certain windshield sunshades is also known to introduce problems with the camera and sensors.

Turns out the ACC/LSF was set at 25. Don't know how, but I must have set it by mistake unknowingly. The other issue I am going to write and say that I have on several occasions found that the camera has to kind of get clear or warmup or something. I say this because there have been times it did not work immediately. Like after it has rained or I have taken it through the carwash or early in the morning. Once it dries out or I get going it then works well. Thanks for helping me to solve these mysteries.

Reactions: Keyboard
1 - 6 of 6 Posts