2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was wondering if it was possible to drive the 2.0T 10 speed, in full manual, using the paddle shifters.

I tried last week end in sport mode but even then, the auto transmission was shifting up automatically when getting to high RPMs but way before red line

If it's possible, what are the settings please? Do you need to deactivate traction control for example?

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
If I remember correctly when you put it in sport mode hold one of the paddles down for a few seconds and you should see "D1" displayed (if you change to sport while not moving). You then can shift manually, however I believe there are some safety features that will automatically shift if you hit the rev limiter or prevent downshifting if you attempt to do that at too high of an RPM.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think there is anywhere to tweak the rev limiter, to allow for higher rpms before auto shifts. Suppose you could start by disabling a bunch of the safety systems and go from there. This behaviour could probably be altered with a tune/remap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Related to Fired00d's comment... If you are in Sport mode and have put the transmission into manual, you can get in back into full auto by holding the right "up shift" paddle down for a couple of seconds. You'll see the display in the dash switch from say "D5" back to "D".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone else find manual downshifting basically does nothing?

I understand that 10 gears is a lot. And the upper ratios are very close to each other. But downshifting in other cars will give you engine braking and deceleration. You have to go down to 4th,3rd,2nd gear to get any engine braking. And even then, the auto rev match negates the brake effect.

I was sort of surprised to see this, sort of bummed too. On one hand, acceleration, and fuel efficiency is increased with the automatic, on the other hand, the engine braking and paddle shifts really don't do much.

I guess I should have gotten the manual.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Even the CTR has automatic rev matching now. Unfortunately I think it has just as much to do with maximizing efficiency as it does with protecting the transmission.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Out of those 10 gears, 4 are OD. 6th is 1:00 to 1. Sport mode seems to like to hang around 7th gear, from what I can tell.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does anyone else find manual downshifting basically does nothing?

I understand that 10 gears is a lot. And the upper ratios are very close to each other. But downshifting in other cars will give you engine braking and deceleration. You have to go down to 4th,3rd,2nd gear to get any engine braking. And even then, the auto rev match negates the brake effect.

I was sort of surprised to see this, sort of bummed too. On one hand, acceleration, and fuel efficiency is increased with the automatic, on the other hand, the engine braking and paddle shifts really don't do much.

I guess I should have gotten the manual.

If you need the manual, download it from their website. Also have one for the Navi system as well.

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
If you need the manual, download it from their website. Also have one for the Navi system as well.
Speaking of that... You can also request printed copies of those manuals within the first six months (I believe that is the time period) of ownership (this is for the original owner only). This request can be made on the same website.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lol, I am not sure if y'all trolling, or serious. Manual downshift, as in paddle shifters.

I don't think this discussion had anything to do with the owners manual.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just Picked Up a Honda Accord - First Time with Honda so I'm wondering what to Expect Myself somewhat . .

OK New Car so Just Babying it around , Right Off the 10 Speed seems Nice and Smooth - I have had the DSG Trans few times some of those on Audi's are
Quite Good and some are VW's are Slow - to - Respond under Passing Conditions - where you just want to Move Half Throttle and Good Load .
Seems that always wanted to Go High RPM's and Half Load then Not shift in Up Manual Sport - DSG would RPM Hang ..

I don't find the Honda doing that at all - I drop 2-3 gears and Off We Go Quietly, Faster and Quick - without sounding like I'm Trying to Race the Vehicle I'm Passing . .
Still Breaking in so , but so Far all seems Very Good Set Up . . Sport Button is a Smile Maker Mode . . haven't been over 4000 RPM , so My 5 Cents here may Not be Fully Developed Yet .

·
Registered
534 Posts
Now to Respond to just Down Shifting : Yes it does something it just takes a few moments , to Check Up the Fuel and Go Negative Boost Pressure . . some Coasting is Required ..

I'm sure it's Not as Good as 6 Speed , But doing a lot of Down Shifting to Brake a Std. Trans is NOT Good for the Transmission . . an Auto is Free Wheeling some to Obtain
Max MPG . .

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you bought a 10 speed auto why would you ever want to manually shift, especially through that many gears?

To put it another way, I must be missing something about the thrill of paddle shifting. Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Most Auto Transmissions - don't - Shift when You want them to - Now I have Placed Shift Kits and seen Programming that makes this all much more Pleasant . .

Seems the Paddles do away with all the Extra Fuss , so way on that Apex just as You come out - an Auto may go to 3 Right at the Time of Full Power is Applied .. in The Rain
that may Not be Great Idea .. Shift it Up 1 or two Gears Early - Unless You are complete Throttle Jockey . .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Remember that 7 thru 10 in the 10AT are OD gearing. For me, relevant downshifting happens from 6 down. I don't know when I'd do it anyway - maybe going down a long mountain road? Yeah, I might want to hold gears and downshift in that situation.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The Honda should be Set Up for HP & TQ seeing How much the Civic R puts Down .. - it would be nice to Here about the Differences in Clutch Plate & Flywheel . . Thou ..
I use to Drive the M66 Pretty Hard - Air under all 4 Wheels going over Tracks ( Nice Tracks ) .. AWD puts more Load on the Trans also .. Volvo had about 5-6 Failures I Know Of over 12 Years .
some were pushing 330 Hp & 400Tq. : most were 275Hp / 295Tq. with Goodies & Tunes ..

I Wish Honda would do More Blue Print type Views of Their Stuff or Cut Away Views of Real - Drive-Train .. Crappy Part was that the Trans - Really wasn't made in a way to be Rebuilt ..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I suppose the paddle shifters on the 10 speed auto would be useful for long downhill descents. It would hold the gear. But the freewheeling effect is quite significant. I haven't broken my car in yet to test how much engine compression happens in the higher revs.

I take my Subaru CVT in manual mode into the 6-7k rpms under heavy engine braking.

The most I have gotten to with my Honda is 5k. The delay in engine braking makes it not worth it for regular use.

After full break in, I can report back. I still want to use the auto trans engine for braking. I had been successfully in certain situations while following a car around a cloverleaf freeway exchange.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts