2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so I’ve got a 1.5 sport and took it into the dealer where I bought it for a complimentary first oil change. I drove the car without checking it thinking the dealer must have left it good. Second oil change comes around and i did it at home. I checked the owners Manuel and it specifies it requires 3.7 quarts and when I drained the oil I noticed it had way more then that. I then take a look at the paperwork and it says they added 5 quarts. So my question is how many quarts does it really take and also what can I do about the dealers mistake if they did make a mistake. I live in California if that helps thank you in advance

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Owner's Manual p. 620 says oil capacity including oil filter:
1.5 liter engine - 3.7 US quarts
2.0 liter engine - 5.0 US quarts
It looks like your technician screwed up. I'm not sure what can be done about it other than bringing it to the attention of the service manager that the technicians are overfilling the 1.5 engines. Also, keep the paperwork for proof that they caused any problems if oil leaks, blown seals, or oil contamination occurs in the future.

·
Registered
212 Posts
P.S., I'm not sure if you can file a complaint with Honda Corporate. That way they are on record of being notified that there may be potential damage caused by the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Owner's Manual p. 620 says oil capacity including oil filter:
1.5 liter engine - 3.7 US quarts
2.0 liter engine - 5.0 US quarts
It looks like your technician screwed up. I'm not sure what can be done about it other than bringing it to the attention of the service manager that the technicians are overfilling the 1.5 engines. Also, keep the paperwork for proof that they caused any problems if oil leaks, blown seals, or oil contamination occurs in the future.
Thanks for the clarification I know to always follow the Manuals instructions but since it’s my first time buying a new car just wanted to make sure I didn’t make a fool of myself when I go talk to the manager.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Similar screw up here with first oil change they used the wrong weight oil in my 2.0t. Contacted Honda and they had the service manager call me. He apologized and had the correct weight oil put in.

·
Registered
880 Posts
OK - I Just Added 5 qts. to the 2.0 ( Did Not Drop Filter ) as I changed OE to the Boss 15K Filter 2000 miles ago ..
Seeing I Added 1 Qt. during Break In 5W-30 1/3 at a Time as Engine Used it .. _ Last Big ~ State to State Trip with Cooler Temps = ( No Oil Consumption at All )

Added 5W-20 ~ 5 Qts with "Oil Level Falling Mid Way" on the Dip Stick after Change .. ( Now Is It Possible the 4 Min. Drain ~ Siphons Oil from the Filter ? )
Seeing the Filter is Laying over at about 25 - 30 Degrees and the Front of the Vehicle is in the Air . . 12" Higher then Normal - could be . . as in Might . . Pull some ..

If I had Dropped Filter - Pretty Sure - to Fill to Top of Orange Maker on Dip Stick would take 5.5 qts. - in fact I could almost do that now . . being @ Mid Way Point .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Similar screw up here with first oil change they used the wrong weight oil in my 2.0t. Contacted Honda and they had the service manager call me. He apologized and had the correct weight oil put in.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but how did you know the put the wrong weight oil in your engine?

I am asking because I had the 1st oil change today on my 2.0T. I got home and let it sit for 45min. and then checked it and it looks darker than when the car had 500-1k mi. on it when I was checking it. It was very clear almost transparent - like water when the car was "new". This oil they put it is light brown, so I am pretty sure they did not put 0W-20 in it, and probably not full synthetic either. I have suspected this dealer rips people off for a while now, because they did a similar thing with my wife's 2013 Accord EX about 6 months ago. I checked her oil and it was dark and almost down to the lower line on the dipstick right after they supposedly did an oil change. I had to go up to the service manager and they re-did the oil change and it looked much lighter and was at the top on the dipstick. So my dealer rips people off and leaves the old oil in, or just tops it off, which I think is what they did with my car. The level was between the low and high line on the dipstick on my 2.0T (with 3,200 mi.) this morning when I checked it. Now the level is only slightly higher, but not much lighter at all. Almost the same color as it was before the oil change. It should be a very very LIGHT brown or yellow color on the paper towel, and it should look almost transparent on the dipstick and hard to see - just like it was the first 1,000 mi. I was checking it, and then it slowly got darker from 1K-3K. This new oil they put in is nothing like when I first got the car. The color looks like a 5W-20 or 5W-30 that I used to put in my Civics, or it's the old oil the car came with.

I think they just added 1/2 Qt. and that was it, because they were telling me I did not need an oil change until 5k mi. So they probably assume I will bring it back in another 3K mi. and they 'll do the "real" oil change then.

Now I am doubting they changed the filter too..

I 'll be getting some Mobil 1 and a couple of filters and go to my friend's place to get it done, because he has more tools than me and ramps you drive the car up on.

Fricking stealers. I never trusted them and never will. I will call them and bitch though so they know not all their customers are naive or clueless.

Harry

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Hey everyone so I’ve got a 1.5 sport and took it into the dealer where I bought it for a complimentary first oil change. I drove the car without checking it thinking the dealer must have left it good. Second oil change comes around and i did it at home. I checked the owners Manuel and it specifies it requires 3.7 quarts and when I drained the oil I noticed it had way more then that. I then take a look at the paperwork and it says they added 5 quarts. So my question is how many quarts does it really take and also what can I do about the dealers mistake if they did make a mistake. I live in California if that helps thank you in advance
If I'm reading this correctly you discovered the problem when you drained the oil meaning you never once checked the oil between oil changes. I'd say you have zero recourse at that point. It would be good to very politely inform the service manager at the dealership that made the error so they can make sure the techs know the proper amount of oil for the two engine sizes but if you want to complain and scold any you should go find a mirror.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but how did you know the put the wrong weight oil in your engine?

I am asking because I had the 1st oil change today on my 2.0T. I got home and let it sit for 45min. and then checked it and it looks darker than when the car had 500-1k mi. on it when I was checking it. It was very clear almost transparent - like water when the car was "new". This oil they put it is light brown, so I am pretty sure they did not put 0W-20 in it, and probably not full synthetic either. I have suspected this dealer rips people off for a while now, because they did a similar thing with my wife's 2013 Accord EX about 6 months ago. I checked her oil and it was dark and almost down to the lower line on the dipstick right after they supposedly did an oil change. I had to go up to the service manager and they re-did the oil change and it looked much lighter and was at the top on the dipstick. So my dealer rips people off and leaves the old oil in, or just tops it off, which I think is what they did with my car. The level was between the low and high line on the dipstick on my 2.0T (with 3,200 mi.) this morning when I checked it. Now the level is only slightly higher, but not much lighter at all. Almost the same color as it was before the oil change. It should be a very very LIGHT brown or yellow color on the paper towel, and it should look almost transparent on the dipstick and hard to see - just like it was the first 1,000 mi. I was checking it, and then it slowly got darker from 1K-3K. This new oil they put in is nothing like when I first got the car. The color looks like a 5W-20 or 5W-30 that I used to put in my Civics, or it's the old oil the car came with.

I think they just added 1/2 Qt. and that was it, because they were telling me I did not need an oil change until 5k mi. So they probably assume I will bring it back in another 3K mi. and they 'll do the "real" oil change then.

Now I am doubting they changed the filter too..

I 'll be getting some Mobil 1 and a couple of filters and go to my friend's place to get it done, because he has more tools than me and ramps you drive the car up on.

Fricking stealers. I never trusted them and never will. I will call them and bitch though so they know not all their customers are naive or clueless.

Harry
If they were dodgy six months ago on your wife's car why would you take either car back to them to let them be dodgy again?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you can't trust Honda for an oil change, how confident are you in any of their services?
This is a huge problem. All the dealerships are full of nice people who seem concerned. And yet the world is full of stories like this.

On my pre-Accord days Toyota Corolla, I had a problem where the antenna got knocked off and was hanging by a wire on my back window. I took it to the dealer and asked if what it would cost to get fixed. They said it would cost $1200. They also took a look at my brakes and said they needed to new pads. I said, "Well I don't have time today I'll come back."

So I took it to my mechanic and he looked at the brakes and said, "I don't know what you're talking about there's at least a year and a half left on these brakes."

I bought an antenna from a junkyard for $25. I took it to Collision Experts and said, "can you install this." They said sure. Total charges, $225.00. (I didn't want to touch it because it was center rear of roof and you had to pull the fabric down and get it back looking neat, which car interior guys can do but I sure can't.)

One way I deal with this issue is I use a regular non-dealer mechanic for most work. But for things like a transmission fluid change I'd rather have a power flush with OEM fluid put in, not some other brand. If it's a dealer where they just take the car out in the lot and charge you $300 for doing nothing and giving you the old oil (or old transmission fluid) back then we're in a pickle with no easy solutions.

Greg N

·
Registered
27 Posts
I normally change my own oil, but after having the timing belt changed at Honda, they told me that my oil pan was leaking on my 2000 Accord. Since I've never seen a drop of oil on my driveway or on my pan when I changed it, I drove my car up on my ramps and found that it was as dry as a bone. Honda seems to be getting as trustworthy as in and out lube garages.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I normally change my own oil, but after having the timing belt changed at Honda, they told me that my oil pan was leaking on my 2000 Accord. Since I've never seen a drop of oil on my driveway or on my pan when I changed it, I drove my car up on my ramps and found that it was as dry as a bone. Honda seems to be getting as trustworthy as in and out lube garages.
It's an extremely discouraging state of affairs. I have also had bad experiences with dealers--dishonest experiences. In my case, with Toyota. My radio antenna had been knocked off in a weird accident and went in to get a quote on having it fixed. They told me my brakes needed doing. When I took it to my own mechanic, he said, "I don't know what they're talking about these brakes have at least a year or two left in them."

As for the repair quote: replace roof antenna: $1200

What I did:

1. Antenna from junkyard $25
2. Took car to Collision Experts for installation (which is a chore you have to take the fabric off the ceiling from the inside). $200.
3. Total repair $220.
4. Total cost for brakes: $0

And the thing is if they had quoted me $450 or $500 for the antenna repair I probably would have done it. They get so outrageous sometimes that it forces you to consider alternatives. I don't know if there is such a thing as an honest dealer. Toyota and Honda are supposed to be among the best. But it seems to be a situation of beasts running wild. You step into a dealer and you are prey. And not a one of them seems to care about this state of affairs or people discussing it openly.

Greg N

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
You can sometimes get fairly reliable appraisals on dealerrater.com website.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One of my friends bought a 2019 Vette. I was following him last week on a drive and a huge puff black smoke came out of the exhaust. A few minutes later a gray cloud of smoke came out. This time I could smell the oil. The car was just serviced at the dealer. There are two different Vette engines, one holds 9 quarts, his holds 6. Looks like they put 9 in his engine. So it's not just Honda that can't keep track of their products.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
You have to double check everything any more. You can't trust anyone to do the job correctly.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
One of my friends bought a 2019 Vette. I was following him last week on a drive and a huge puff black smoke came out of the exhaust. A few minutes later a gray cloud of smoke came out. This time I could smell the oil. The car was just serviced at the dealer. There are two different Vette engines, one holds 9 quarts, his holds 6. Looks like they put 9 in his engine. So it's not just Honda that can't keep track of their products.
That's fricken crazy!!!

Just further verifies my theory that a relationship should be established between owner and preferred technician... I personally only request/allow one technician (that came highly recommended from salesperson) to work on my vehicle.... I also take time to get to know them, and them to get to know me... I'll on occasion give them a "tip" (lunch on me) to show my appreciation. In return they will advise/show me things on my car that I might not have been aware of (most times I'm aware of what they are showing), answer my questions/concerns regarding aftermarket performance/tuning questions (as it regards to OEM warranty), etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts