2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

Finally Disabled RDM => NEW CAR!!!

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  DDNorCal 
#1 ·
I was stubbornly clinging to keeping RDM on for "safety purposes". Last year, I had dozed off at the wheel on 101 in No Cal and came to 3 lanes over. Miraculously nothing happened. I thought that this feature on the 10th Gen Accord would prevent that from happening ever again. Today, I rethought that logic, and finally switched it off on a longish drive. Wow, the car tracked straight and true and felt like a brand new car to me all over again! I've been enjoying it since, for the entire weekend. I think that on really long boring drives, I may turn LKAS on. I will probably never doze off at the wheel again after that experience last year anyway. RDM needs work or is just not practical on the roads I travel in...

#2 ·
Good to hear it!

I finally turned off RDM yesterday and drove locally on back roads. I did not feel the steering fighting me like before but I think I only hit 50mph. I normally felt it >40 or 45mph. I have to take it on the highway to see how it behaves at higher speeds.

I hope this will resolve the issue I am having with the steering having a mind of each own and having to constantly correct it. It was the only thing I had not turned off, although I thought I did. If this doesn't do it I 'll be at the dealer this Friday or Sat. because there is nothing left to disable. I even disabled Traction Control a few days ago, but that didn't help.

Harry

#9 ·
It would be great if everyone please try to mention MY, trim and build month? Mine a '19 Sport 2.0 with build date 11/18.

#5 ·
Is this a 2018 vs 2019 thing? I just got my 18 Sport so I don't have many miles on it but the RDM has been a gentle reminder to me a few times as I've been driving along and it hasn't really bothered me. Perhaps my feelings on this will change but I didn't know if it was something that was based on the year to try and help narrow down the issue.

#6 ·
No both '18 and '19 models have issues with RDM where the steering wheel gets very stiff at the center, and resists input from the driver, and when it releases the resistance it causes you to over-compensate and correct again - back & forth like that all the time.

The 2018 I test drove before I bought the '19 did not have this issue and all safety features were enabled. LKAS also worked great on that '18 and it was steering fine by itself on the freeway. Mine does not like LKAS or RDM. It goes off the lane after going left to right, right to left riding on the lane markers like a drunk person is driving the car, before going into the next lane or off the road. It was unnerving to say the least. It even does that going in a straight line on a smooth freshly paved road - unless I turn everything off.

BTW, nothing has changed between '18 and '19 models built so far. They both have the same issues and idiosyncrasies. Honda and most manufacturers do not make changes or improvements until the 3rd or 4th year of production.

#8 ·
I was only wondering about the year because it could have been something like switching suppliers part of the way through, software, etc. Seems that theory is a bust though as it's looking kind of random. It's nice these things can be turned off but it's unfortunate that key features aren't acting as expected.

#10 ·
I think some have RDM confused with LKAS. Also, you need to say whether RDM is set at narrow or wide? I use LKAS on well marked roads with very little tar strips. RDM is set to narrow with very little problems now. :wink: Build date is 7/18.

#11 ·
I had a 2016 Acura TLX. LKAS taught me that I hugged the left side of the lane too much. Which explained the beeps I would often get before I I had a car with this feature. On the TLX, I would turn on self-drive (which I suppose is a form of RDM) when I wanted to briefly take my hands off the wheel. It would also nudge me if I got too close to the lane edges.

The Accord seems to be a combo of both and it is much more aggressive with its nudging. But, honestly in most driving I do I am unaware of it. I am not sure how turning it off results in a whole new driving experience, and if it does I would first suspect something is wrong with the system....then perhaps the driver :surprise:.

#12 ·
It has nothing to do with the driver. People are getting new steering systems because of this problem. One owner got a new one here in our forum and he is very happy now. I am not the OP, but I too noticed the steering got a lot better once I turned off both RDM and LKAS. It was driving me nuts before not staying in the lane and fighting every steering input by me.

Even though a lot better now, mine still does NOT track straight, and I am also still feeling some resistance in the steering wheel, but it's less pronounced than before. Something is not right with the steering rack or EPS (electric power steering) in some of our cars, and I suspect I need to have the steering system or EPS replaced as well. Like I have said a few times already - I test drove an '18 Sport 2.0 before I bought a '19 they had in the lot. The '18 tracked straight and RDM and LKAS did everything right with the cruise on at 65mph in very light traffic. The car steered itself for at least 5-6 miles on the highway (I missed the 1st exit and had to take the next one) without any input from me. It was perfect and drove in the middle of the lane almost the entire 6 miles and it blew my mind how well it did it. When I test drove mine (the '19 MY) it was raining and there was rush hour traffic, so I couldn't drive fast or set the cruise. I was in pretty much stop & go traffic. Not an ideal test drive but at lower speeds it felt fine. It's when I go >40mph when I start feeling the steering wheel fighting me (kind of locks up in the center) and the car begins wondering constantly requiring repeated correction from me like every second, and I still can't get it to go straight.

#13 ·
It has nothing to do with the driver. People are getting new steering systems because of this problem. One owner got a new one here in our forum and he is very happy now. I am not the OP, but I too noticed the steering got a lot better once I turned off both RDM and LKAS. It was driving me nuts before not staying in the lane and fighting every steering input by me.

Even though a lot better now, mine still does NOT track straight, and I am also still feeling some resistance in the steering wheel, but it's less pronounced than before. Something is not right with the steering rack or EPS (electric power steering) in some of our cars, and I suspect I need to have the steering system or EPS replaced as well. Like I have said a few times already - I test drove an '18 Sport 2.0 before I bought a '19 they had in the lot. The '18 tracked straight and RDM and LKAS did everything right with the cruise on at 65mph in very light traffic. The car steered itself for at least 5-6 miles on the highway (I missed the 1st exit and had to take the next one) without any input from me. It was perfect and drove in the middle of the lane almost the entire 6 miles and it blew my mind how well it did it. When I test drove mine (the '19 MY) it was raining and there was rush hour traffic, so I couldn't drive fast or set the cruise. I was in pretty much stop & go traffic. Not an ideal test drive but at lower speeds, it felt fine. It's when I go >40mph when I start feeling the steering wheel fighting me (kind of locks up in the center) and the car begins wondering constantly requiring repeated correction from me like every second, and I still can't get it to go straight.
Now if that is truly the way you put that I think mine is that way. I will have to turn it back on to check it. :surprise::surprise:

#14 ·
My 2018 Touring 2.0T with (I guess it is LKAS) on, senses I am near/on or over the right line) on the road frequently, especially on a narrow country road, going around 55-60 mph. The road is a highway but rural and mostly straight. Maybe I am and it is seeing it properly but it seems to take a lot of time to recognize I have moved over. Maybe I am moving toward the center of the lane too slowly but it seems to keep nudging me and showing on the display for 4-5 seconds after I think I have corrected. Also, I notice I gets fooled every so often if driving over a road where the outside lines have been moved due to routing chages or older construction with old lines still visible.

Are there any settings to modify the sensitivity?

Anyone else seeing this?

Thx DD

#15 ·
RDM settings

Sorry, my bad. It is RDM which is causing this. Don't have LKAS on. I checked out the manual and did see there are a few customized settings for it. Maybe I should experiment with the options.
Manual is a bit vague about "Narrow". Says:

Normal - Steering control starts from inside the lane edge. (My current setting - This drives me nuts when on a somewhat narrow road, corrects way too frequently and is slow to give back control.
Wide - Steering control starts from outside the lane edge. Sounds like this would be more relaxed but also apparently lets the tire to get past the line?
Narrow - all is says is "use for driving on narrow roads"??? I guess this setting would engage more frequently? Or is it the opposite.?

Thx DD

My 2018 Touring 2.0T with (I guess it is LKAS) on, senses I am near/on or over the right line) on the road frequently, especially on a narrow country road, going around 55-60 mph. The road is a highway but rural and mostly straight. Maybe I am and it is seeing it properly but it seems to take a lot of time to recognize I have moved over. Maybe I am moving toward the center of the lane too slowly but it seems to keep nudging me and showing on the display for 4-5 seconds after I think I have corrected. Also, I notice I gets fooled every so often if driving over a road where the outside lines have been moved due to routing changes or older construction with old lines still visible.

Are there any settings to modify the sensitivity?

Anyone else seeing this?

Thx DD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.