2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never owned a Honda product before, but after my last experience decided I needed something with a better reliability record. My last car was a 2015 Mercedes C300 Sport which was a really good vehicle which I enjoyed driving ... when it wasn’t at the dealer for some sort of repair. My other current vehicle is a 2013 Porsche Boxster S, and I've previously owned BMW's, Audi's, and Volvo's. I have tracked my Porsche, and taken rally driving and high performance driving classes. I am a “car guy”, and have been since I was a kid .... which was many, many years ago.

So, after all that great metal, I now own a new Honda Accord. I liked the style, the new 2.0T engine looked really good on paper, and the reviews have been glowing. A few weeks ago I drove over to my local Honda dealer, traded in the C300, and drove off with the Accord EX-L. I was tempted by the Touring, but had no use for the navigation, I prefer maps with CarPlay, and also did not want the 19” tires given the often rough road conditions near my home. I did test drive the new Camry, which I found pleasant enough, but totally bland and uninspiring in its demeanor. It also had a very high level of tire noise, which bothered me.

The Accord has surprised me with its basic goodness. This is a very well thought out vehicle, which seems to do everything really well. That 2.0 T engine is everything I hoped it would be ... quick revving with lots of low end torque. It even provides very acceptable fuel economy, with numbers over 30mpg in mixed and hilly driving. I like the heavy weighting of the steering, although wish there was more feedback coming through the wheel. The ten speed auto is smooth and effective in normal mode, although it does a get somewhat coarser in Economy mode. I did find it odd that there is no pull down handle on the trunk lid, but can manage to live without that minor convenience. I was also surprised to see intrusive hinges on the trunk, rather than struts. It's also been years since I had a hood with a manual hold open rod ... no support struts there either.

The interior is very well done ... simple and attractive. No complaints at all, although it would have been nice if the faux wood had some grain molded into the smooth plastic surfaces. The upgraded sound system is okay, and much better than a 1960's vintage transistor radio. After playing with it for several days, I concluded that the surround sound option has to stay off in order to preserve any bass response. With it off, I am able to dial in a reasonable frequency response. I did remove the rear seat head rests to improve rear visibility. In general, the electronic interfaces are almost intuitive and easy to figure out. Seating is comfortable for me .... 6’3” and 215 pounds ... with ample leg and head room. No height adjustment or memory for the passenger's seat though.

Handling is pretty good, with very controlled body lean, and almost no dive or squat. The 17” tires do well, and the ride feels solid and well damped. Interior noise is generally well controlled, with no wind noise, no rattles, and only moderate tire and road noise seeping through. Just a very solid and well planted feel in all driving situations.

Perfection? No. The windshield on my car reflects direct sunlight badly, and looks like it’s covered with countless micro chips when hit with direct sun. I picked it up with less than 20 miles on it, so these aren’t chips but likely in the glass itself. The body panel fit is not what I expected, and certainly not comparable to the German cars I've owned. Large and uneven seams are the norm. I also had my dealer adjust both rear doors before I took the car, since neither door lined up well along the upper crease line. The paint, on the other hand, is excellent with only minor orange peel. I got the Champagne Frost Pearl, and it really looks good.

So, after 1,000 miles, I am getting used to the car and all it’s electronic nannies. I hate LKAS and keep it off, but all else seems to work well and isn’t too tough to live with. In most ways, it's certainly as good as some of my past high end cars. I just wish Honda would pay more attention to the final fit of the panels and give us a body that looks like someone actually looked at the final product before shipping it.

Reactions: 2veloce

·
Registered
15 Posts
Windshield: The windshield on my 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T (build date 3/18) has a "graininess" within the glass that is noticeable to me in the morning and afternoon when the sun is low on the horizon. The best I can describe it is that an inner laminate of the windshield has a contamination or defect in manufacture. It appears as a wavy grainy-ness across the windshield.

I noticed this shortly after delivery. Both the service advisor and manager see it. Interestingly, the service manager has looked at 4 other 2018's since he looked at mine. He called and said he can see in on all four of the other cars. It might be "normal".

I can't get a photo that captures the effect. It's not totally unacceptable. I would consider getting a replacement under warranty however I think it might be more sensible to live with it and not "break" the factory seal on the windshield.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Windshield: The windshield on my 2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T (build date 3/18) has a "graininess" within the glass that is noticeable to me in the morning and afternoon when the sun is low on the horizon. The best I can describe it is that an inner laminate of the windshield has a contamination or defect in manufacture. It appears as a wavy grainy-ness across the windshield.

I noticed this shortly after delivery. Both the service advisor and manager see it. Interestingly, the service manager has looked at 4 other 2018's since he looked at mine. He called and said he can see in on all four of the other cars. It might be "normal".

I can't get a photo that captures the effect. It's not totally unacceptable. I would consider getting a replacement under warranty however I think it might be more sensible to live with it and not "break" the factory seal on the windshield.
Yes, it's a very fine effect and is only visible under certain lighting situations. I have examined the glass for micro chips and there are none, so this has to be caused by impurities in the laminate. I too do not want a replacement windshield on a brand new car, so I'll leave it alone. Luckily, it's not visible under most driving conditions ... and is more of a nuisance than a big problem. Pretty poor quality control though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it (for the most part) - how were your BMWs and Porsches in terms of reliability? I have the 2.0T Sport with 10 speed, so far it's been great. A $30k car isn't going to compare to a $60k+ car in some aspects of quality but overall these cars are an amazing value as a daily driver

I don't like the forward collision braking system (had it activate once at high speed) but it's usually not overly intrusive

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you're enjoying it (for the most part) - how were your BMWs and Porsches in terms of reliability? I have the 2.0T Sport with 10 speed, so far it's been great. A $30k car isn't going to compare to a $60k+ car in some aspects of quality but overall these cars are an amazing value as a daily driver

I don't like the forward collision braking system (had it activate once at high speed) but it's usually not overly intrusive
My BMW's were very good, but had some issues as well. I had three Audi's over the years, and all had only minor issues. I still have my Porsche, and it has been rick solid ... probably the finest car as far as performance, balance, and quality that I have ever owned. The Mercedes was an excellent vehicle handicapped by very poor quality control.

I do like my new Accord very much. In fact, it's driving qualities are very similar to what I had in my German cars. I think it will work out very well ... in spite of the little annoyances.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Now the $60k question - can the lowly Accord 2.0 take down your Boxster 0-60 or 1/4 mile? It might be closer than some think

Heaven help you if you need to do engine work on it, and I'm not impressed those cars use struts. Even an S2000 and FD RX-7 have better suspension

Porsche are nice cars, but they should be for the 20% profit margin or whatever insane number they get on every car

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Now the $60k question - can the lowly Accord 2.0 take down your Boxster 0-60 or 1/4 mile? It might be closer than some think

Heaven help you if you need to do engine work on it, and I'm not impressed those cars use struts. Even an S2000 and FD RX-7 have better suspension

Porsche are nice cars, but they should be for the 20% profit margin or whatever insane number they get on every car

The answer is no, since the S will routinely run 0-60 times in the low 4 second range versus the mid to high 5 second range of the 2.0T.

Porsche manages to put together the most perfectly balanced driving package I have ever been in. Everything is well thought out and perfectly integrated. I have owned and raced a variety of sports cars over the years, and tracked my BMW Z3 and Z4. Nothing, in my experience, really compares to the overall feel and agility of the Porsche.

My Boxster S is a mid engine design so, no, it's not easy to work on. However, in the six years I've owned it, the only repair has been a defective seat memory module, which was replaced under warranty. I also owned two C6 Corvettes, neither of which was particularly reliable. Great torque, good handling but, in the end, very compromised GM products. The new C8 looks promising, but too early to know much about how it will work out in real life.

I doubt that my Accord will ever see any track time ... that's not why I bought it. If it turns out to be a fairly reliable and fun to drive vehicle, that will be fine with me. My early impressions of the car are mostly positive, and I think that 2.0T engine paired with the ten speed auto is an excellent combination. So far, so good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok yes that is the later model n/a six cylinder rated for what, 320 hp? So it should beat the Accord easily

I may get a Cayman S eventually (normally aspirated version), right now I have a 2016 Camaro SS which is a surprisingly good handling car for what it is, and 6.2L LT1 which makes about 415 at the wheels

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok yes that is the later model n/a six cylinder rated for what, 320 hp? So it should beat the Accord easily

I may get a Cayman S eventually (normally aspirated version), right now I have a 2016 Camaro SS which is a surprisingly good handling car for what it is, and 6.2L LT1 which makes about 415 at the wheels
Mine is the classic six cylinder “Boxer” engine, a design also used by Subaru. It's the 981S, while the newer model with the turbo four is the 718.

My last Mercedes C300 had a turbo 4 which was very rough sounding, although performance was fine. The Honda is much smoother, faster, and gets better fuel economy. I do feel some torque steer with it though, which was never an issue with the AWD Mercedes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts