2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2019 Accord Hybrid and wondering what mileage I should change my oil. There is no chart in the manual but a maintenance minder. I know that's good for some but a perfectionist like me that won't work. I usually change mine at 5k intervals with my others cars but with a hybrid I know it's different and never owned one before I am unsure. I like to change oil out early on break in due to metal shavings. I'm thinking 5k also on this oil change. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2,615 Posts
Follow the maintenance minder recommendation... it takes into account several factors (city vs. highway driving, style of driving timid/aggressive, along w/other factors) to determine when oil change is required (BTW the OEM oil is a full synthetic). I do a lot of city driving and my maintenance minder actually indicated an oil change needed at 4,026 miles... following your theory my oil would have been 1,000 miles overdue for a change. Now, on the other hand if it's not showing you need an oil change at 5,000 miles and it will make you feel better to change by all means change it... is it neccessary not IMHO, but for your peace of mind then go for it. Same goes for changing it the first time as it regards "break in" oil... is it needed... not IMHO, but for your peace of mind go for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's a hybrid. Do yourself a favor and break your habit. Follow the maintenance reminder. My girlfriend has a 2018. Her first oil change was around 10,500.
Remember, the engine is off quite often. I have a 2019. I only drive 8,000-10,000 miles a year. They recommend changing every 12 months if you do not make it till maintenance reminder alert due to low mileage.
Most peeps on forums are coming in around 10,000 miles for oil change intervals.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was planning a vacation last month so I made an appointment since I was at 7,200 miles at the time but it still said 30% oil life, when I took it to the dealer they said the oil that comes in a new car should be left in it until the 15% maintenance reminder since it has additives that help protect the new engine. I most likely could have gotten to 10,000 before it got to 15% but would have been in the middle of our trip so at 20% and 9,000 miles I got the oil changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts