2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0, 2003 Civic Si
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am noticing this fluttering sound when under partial throttle at times now after flashing the stage 2 tune on my 2020 sport 2.0 with 1500 miles.

it seems to be when its trying to build full boost when i dont really need it at times because of the weird throttle response with the pedal and its the re-circulation valve just working over and over to keep the boost level. just wanted to get opinions, as i dont want to mess anything up.

· Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0t
167 Posts
I get a flutter once and a while but never like that. Seems like your diverter valve isn't holding boost pressure. But you say its only on partial throttle so idk, I'm curious to see what's causing this.

· Registered
22 Posts
Having owned both the 1.5T and 2.0T 6 speed manuals with KTuner stage 2 Ive heard this in both, especially with WOT in 5th/6th gear I just assume its normal...however it may not be.

· Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0
133 Posts
Gonna get one soon. Thank you.

Ktuner or Hondata? Does it happen in all 3 modes (Eco, D, Sport)?

I'm running Stage 2 Hondata and haven't experienced anything like that...
Talking to one of my friends, come to find out it only happens under part throttle and low RPMs. I'll have to find out to see if it's harmful over a long period of time. I don't think it is.

· Registered
183 Posts
You guys are having that issue because the OEM bypass valve is a piece of thin tin and weak rubber. The increased boost levels and quicker spool rate will destroy that thing over time. Click the link above if you are running anything over stock boost and you will be good for the life of your motor and beyond.

· Registered
971 Posts
You guys are having that issue because the OEM bypass valve is a piece of thin tin and weak rubber. The increased boost levels and quicker spool rate will destroy that thing over time. Click the link above if you are running anything over stock boost and you will be good for the life of your motor and beyond.
Sorry but that's incorrect. The outside material is irrelevant to the life or operation of a diverter/bypass valve. If its a piston style design and not a diaphragm, which stock Honda is, the only thing you have to worry about is the o ring's wearing out over time from the heat, which will cause a leak. The aftermarket ones use orings to seal them just like OEM ones. They also require regular maintenance and lubing of the piston. They don't use special oring that do not need replacement ever. So even an aftermarket one needs service. They do respond slightly quicker and look blingy, but they are not a magical replacement for stock.

Op sounds like your getting compressor surge which yes could be cause by a faulty dv or boost leak. If you have a ktuner log your actual vs request boost this will tell you if you have a leak or not

· Registered
183 Posts
Your opinion may differ from other members but name calling will not be tolerated. If you can't post w/o the name calling don't post at all.
Sorry but that's incorrect. The outside material is irrelevant to the life or operation of a diverter/bypass valve. If its a piston style design and not a diaphragm, which stock Honda is, the only thing you have to worry about is the o ring's wearing out over time from the heat, which will cause a leak. The aftermarket ones use orings to seal them just like OEM ones. They also require regular maintenance and lubing of the piston. They don't use special oring that do not need replacement ever. So even an aftermarket one needs service. They do respond slightly quicker and look blingy, but they are not a magical replacement for stock.

Op sounds like your getting compressor surge which yes could be cause by a faulty dv or boost leak. If you have a ktuner log your actual vs request boost this will tell you if you have a leak or not
I ignored your hybrid-driving stupidity for a reason. The diaphragm and material composition in general is weak in the OEM bypass valve versus the bronze, billet aluminum, and stainless steel composition of the Boomba Racing part...remember Stage 2 runs 23 psi...I run 25 psi at Stage 3 so I can vouch for the validity of the usefulness of the part (ABSOLUTELY NO BOOST LEAK). Before you try and comment on a real turbo K-motor go actually buy one. Weaksauce little boy!

· Registered
38 Posts
Funny thing I flashed my car back to stage 1. No problems, and datalog was fine. Flashed back to stage 2 now that problem I had is now gone. Did a hard pull from 3rd and no fluttering noise. Whatever it was it’s now gone. I am loving my stage 2 tune now

· Registered
971 Posts
I ignored your hybrid-driving stupidity for a reason. The diaphragm and material composition in general is weak in the OEM bypass valve versus the bronze, billet aluminum, and stainless steel composition of the Boomba Racing part...remember Stage 2 runs 23 psi...I run 25 psi at Stage 3 so I can vouch for the validity of the usefulness of the part (ABSOLUTELY NO BOOST LEAK). Before you try and comment on a real turbo K-motor go actually buy one. Weaksauce little boy!
Your comments prove you don't know what your talking about(as it wasn't even the problem they were having. The stock dv is a piston design, not a diaphragm design, just like your precious Boomba that you constantly race to defend like you invented them or something. Vw makes theirs out of plastic not even tin and they have no issues holding above 25psi. Your tiny little turbo barely peaks at 25 psi for all of about 2sec under load in the higher gears. It doesn't sustain it. The turbo is simply too small for that to compress that much air without over spinning. You have posted about this before and failed to show any logs or proof, just simply jump in defending the Boomba product adamantly with baseless claims. I have spent years actually testing products like this,( and from the way you react to posts and constantly say let's race when people disagree with you prob many years before you were even driving), just blindly installing them. All these people with stage 2 and 3 tunes and magically no one is really having any problems with the stock valve except you.
What i drive daily is especially irrelevant to my knowledge or what other cars I have in my garage. If a turbo engineer rides a bicycle to work, does he forget everything about turbos? It's funny you think your K motor turbo is something special, or a big boys turbo car, and you obviously have no idea how much a hybrid costs because I could have had any model for the price. My weekend car is double everything your little turbo is: double the displacement and turbos. My "bigboy" turbo vehicle V8 engine puts out about as much naturally aspirated without it's twin turbos as your puny little maxed out stage three turbo. I have proven here time and time again my knowledge of turbos and modifications.

· Registered
183 Posts
Roger that...:)!

· Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0
133 Posts
It's basiclly extra boost trying to find a place to go. Not TOO much of a problem. Had Hondata stage 2 for a year now. No issues. Talked to the techs and they told me it's the extra boost that's been added finding an exit.

· Registered
38 Posts
It's basiclly extra boost trying to find a place to go. Not TOO much of a problem. Had Hondata stage 2 for a year now. No issues. Talked to the techs and they told me it's the extra boost that's been added finding an exit.
I thought everything was cool, went for coffee and then a drive this morning. The dreaded flutter noise came back again. Have you experienced this noise too? You said asked the tech but is it safe? That noise just makes me feel un easy everytime I hear it lol

· Registered
183 Posts
I thought everything was cool, went for coffee and then a drive this morning. The dreaded flutter noise came back again. Have you experienced this noise too? You said asked the tech but is it safe? That noise just makes me feel un easy everytime I hear it lol
You have my link and my explanation sir. Take a look and make it go away properly. :cool:!

· Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0
133 Posts

I hear it every day. Lol. Part throttle is when I hear it. I put it in sport, it goes away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.