2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I reside in south California, temp has been in mid to high 90's, my 2.0t has a strong smell of gas on the deep stick and oil filler cap, but the 2017 2.4 L CRV has normal smell of oil, both cars are GDI, been changing oil and working on automobiles for 40 years and can differentiate between a normal used oil smell and gas diluted used oil, up to 2% of gas dilution might be OK, but anything above that will break down the viscosity of the oil and cause premature engine wear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Could it be that Honda is trying to sweep this under the rug,so that their quality rating stays up?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks for the reply, i am experiencing something new with this car, for the last week or so when i drive it normally keeping RPM under 3k in normal mode {not sport, econ} after driving for 10 to 15 miles start hearing some sort of soft knocking from the engine area, it could be turbo heating up or the moving components of engine all due to oil loosing its viscosity, letting it cool off and drive the noise dissapear, just ordered a test kit from Blackstone labs.
Hey everyone would be Nice If they Followed Up on any and All Threads they Replied to - Very Interested to see what Blackstone Labs ~ had to say ~ some of these Cars take a Bit of Running
to Break then in and Seat everything , He should have Dropped the Filter and Add some 5-30W If He thought the Oil had Gas in it .(( Never Wait an see on a New Motor ))
I went through entire Qt. during Break in and used 1/4 Qt after that Until Second Change then it Stopped and seems Normal Now , over 14K Last Oil Change went 7500 miles , Perfectly
Normal No Oil Use Now ~

·
Registered
591 Posts
NO , I'd say the Oil Company's are Not Delivering the Correct Oils in some Counties ~ Poor Choices by Owners also ..

Yeah , having the Right Tune for that Stuff is Important ~ LSPI Events are Increased in all Direction Injection Motors .

A Owner should be more aware of Knock or Pings Direct Injection Engines are always going to have more Fuel
( Possibly getting into the Oil ) and slight Increase in LSPI = Low Speed Pre_Igination

It has Been Investigated :
LSPI
is also Brought On or Caused by Oils - that have High Calcium and or Sodium or Both .
Therefore it is Imperative You don't use an Oil that
Carries to Much of these Detergents ~ Period those Two Detergents mix with Oil & Fuel
Make a Third Chemical - has Lower Octane Value - Enhancing LSPI - Events - which could take Your Motor Out !

·
Registered
32 Posts
because I have seen a few people mention it, I am in NJ where it can get cold, not quite as cold as I think required though for regular issues.
Obviously I will be skeptical moving forward, as generally people sell a car for a reason. I am just hoping the reason was due to being a lightly use Off-Lease car and not due to some issue.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts