2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my accord about 3 months ago and I’ve had some serious issues with handling in the rain. It’s a 2018 1.5 sport with 26k miles and every time it rains my traction control comes on and I notice some hydro plaining. The tires and such are all oem and in almost brand new condition. I’m getting it inspected but is anyone else having this issue or have a solution? So far it’s making me regret this car since I live on the east coast and it’s rains frequently and my last car was smaller and had none of these issues. I just would lament that I bought a car with terrible handling to be my daily driver if this is normal.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Car handles great def sounds like driver error. Try using less throttle in the wet or econ mode if you can't modulate the throttle to avoid the low down torque.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can you explain in more detail what you mean by "every time it rains my traction control comes on"? Are you talking about some electrical issue where rain makes the TC light come on? Or are you talking about limited traction in the rain which causes TC to cut in? I have a Touring 2.0T (different tires, different engine, different transmission) and I will say my car is very traction limited even in best case scenarios. I don't know how easy it is to spin the wheels on the Sport 1.5T, but it could just be getting used to the throttle. I have no issues with my car in the rain. Now my Touring tires in the snow is a different story...

My thoughts:

1) you mention your previous car being smaller and not having any issues. The Accord Sport has 235 width tires. A wider tire will inherently have more problems with hydroplaning than a narrower tire (more surface area to have to push the water away). It could be that you are just getting used to driving a different car.

2) I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) that the Sport comes with Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. While they don't have the ultimate wet weather traction, they aren't known to be terrible in the rain. Check out Tire Rack's rating system, users rate it at 7.8 "good"( https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=2018&autoModel=Accord+1.5T&autoModClar=Sport ).

3) Also looking at the Tire Rack user reviews (and I believe I've seen some other posts on this forum as well) the Goodyears may wear more quickly. That same link says it's tread wear is "fair" at 6.1 and a couple of posts mention needing to replace the tires sooner than expected. So check your tread wear and see if the tires need replacing. Maybe look up the tire manufacture and see what they warranty the car to (milage wise). But it's sounding like you just need new tires. 26,000 miles is not "brand new" and could legitimately need replacing.

4) don't hate the car for tire issues.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The other issue is that small turbo engines have just that, small turbos that produce torque very early in the rpm range. For people not used to driving a turbo car, having full torque so early in the rpm range could cause them to seemingly have traction issues. Being easier on the throttle or using econ would help in this scenario.
Edit: my point being is i have a nice amount more power and torque instantly due to hybrid system than the op. Plus crappier energy saver tires to boot, and don't have these issues.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can you explain in more detail what you mean by "every time it rains my traction control comes on"? Are you talking about some electrical issue where rain makes the TC light come on? Or are you talking about limited traction in the rain which causes TC to cut in? I have a Touring 2.0T (different tires, different engine, different transmission) and I will say my car is very traction limited even in best case scenarios. I don't know how easy it is to spin the wheels on the Sport 1.5T, but it could just be getting used to the throttle. I have no issues with my car in the rain. Now my Touring tires in the snow is a different story...

My thoughts:

1) you mention your previous car being smaller and not having any issues. The Accord Sport has 235 width tires. A wider tire will inherently have more problems with hydroplaning than a narrower tire (more surface area to have to push the water away). It could be that you are just getting used to driving a different car.

2) I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) that the Sport comes with Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. While they don't have the ultimate wet weather traction, they aren't known to be terrible in the rain. Check out Tire Rack's rating system, users rate it at 7.8 "good"( https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=2018&autoModel=Accord+1.5T&autoModClar=Sport ).

3) Also looking at the Tire Rack user reviews (and I believe I've seen some other posts on this forum as well) the Goodyears may wear more quickly. That same link says it's tread wear is "fair" at 6.1 and a couple of posts mention needing to replace the tires sooner than expected. So check your tread wear and see if the tires need replacing. Maybe look up the tire manufacture and see what they warranty the car to (milage wise). But it's sounding like you just need new tires. 26,000 miles is not "brand new" and could legitimately need replacing.

4) don't hate the car for tire issues.
I have a 2018 Accord for 2.0 t. I agree with everything you just said. I usually have it in sport mode in the rain. I'm just very gentle with the throttle. The car comes with all season 235 width tires. In addition, I get more nervous and worried about when it snows. In the rain, it handles just fine in fact it handles beautifully in the rain. Unless I give it a lot of throttle /floor it, it barely spins unless I want it to spin. I mean I've never driven the 1.5 base Sport, but it does have less power than the 2.0 does of course. With that being said, I wouldn't judge the car just for the wheels spinning problem. Yeah, you might have to get more used to the throttle on your sport.like I said, if I floor the throttle, it will spin the tires in the rain, but I just don't floor the throttle unless I need to. In fact when I wear my stock tires out, I plan on upgrading them to wider and lower profile ultra high performance all season tires for my 2.0 t sport!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a 2018 Accord for 2.0 t. I agree with everything you just said. I usually have it in sport mode in the rain. I'm just very gentle with the throttle. The car comes with all season 235 width tires. In addition, I get more nervous and worried about when it snows. In the rain, it handles just fine in fact it handles beautifully in the rain. Unless I give it a lot of throttle /floor it, it barely spins unless I want it to spin. I mean I've never driven the 1.5 base Sport, but it does have less power than the 2.0 does of course. With that being said, I wouldn't judge the car just for the wheels spinning problem. Yeah, you might have to get more used to the throttle on your sport.like I said, if I floor the throttle, it will spin the tires in the rain, but I just don't floor the throttle unless I need to. In fact when I wear my stock tires out, I plan on upgrading them to wider and lower profile ultra high performance all season tires for my 2.0 t sport!
That's 109% normal being on all season tires vs snow tires and being more nervous when it snows. When outside gets to about 38 deg F or so all season tires are going to start responding poorer as that compound will just be too hard, especially the lower the temps go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's 109% normal being on all season tires vs snow tires and being more nervous when it snows. When outside gets to about 38 deg F or so all season tires are going to start responding poorer as that compound will just be too hard, especially the lower the temps go.
Well, yes, that's my point. The cooler the air temperature is the worst the tires are going to perform.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This normally occurs while I’m already driving, going around 50-60mph even with cruise control. Unless my car is pumping torque while I’m already up to speed and maintaining my speed It’s not a torque issue. I live in Maryland so it’s been hot and humid the whole time no cool air or weather since I’ve had it. Mainly highway driving with straight roads and some hills. The tires have at least 1/4”-1/3” left on the tread. And what I mean by my traction control coming on is my car skids every 100yds or so when it’s rains around an inch or more and the vsa kicks on, not an electrical issue. And also I forgot to mention this usually occurs when I’m driving in a straight line, not hitting puddles, turning, or low rpm range. Those are simple things I could’ve figured, hence why I’m seeking any other kind of problem. The main reason this is concerning was as I mentioned my last car was smaller and handled better in the rain even with more horsepower and torque.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This normally occurs while I’m already driving, going around 50-60mph even with cruise control. Unless my car is pumping torque while I’m already up to speed and maintaining my speed It’s not a torque issue. I live in Maryland so it’s been hot and humid the whole time no cool air or weather since I’ve had it. Mainly highway driving with straight roads and some hills. The tires have at least 1/4”-1/3” left on the tread. And what I mean by my traction control coming on is my car skids every 100yds or so when it’s rains around an inch or more and the vsa kicks on, not an electrical issue. And also I forgot to mention this usually occurs when I’m driving in a straight line, not hitting puddles, turning, or low rpm range. Those are simple things I could’ve figured, hence why I’m seeking any other kind of problem. The main reason this is concerning was as I mentioned my last car was smaller and handled better in the rain even with more horsepower and torque.
I have a 1.5t with CVT — tuned with stage 2 K-tuner...so maybe around 15-25% more hp/tq than you...I have zero issues in the rain. I did have the stock 19” wheels and tires on for a while (they generally sucked- but no issues in rain). However, now I have aftermarket 19” wheels with Michelin PSS tires 245’s (~50% life) and again, zero issues in rain.

I don’t know what exactly is going on for you- although I did read...but if it were me, I’d upgrade from the shitty stock tires...either a GOOD set of high performance all seasons -OR- 1 set of summers, and 1 set of winters...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ah well now after reading that your problem is not the tires. If it's happening at freeway speed like you said it's the stupid way they setup the stock rear sway bar. The rain is amplifying the problem. Go replace it with any aftermarket or CTR rear bar and your problem will be solved and be better all around to drive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I usually drive in eco mode in my 2.0 and don’t have any problems during the rain nor snow. But then again I’m in NJ and I’m used to having to drive in adverse weather with a fwd vehicle.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I usually drive in eco mode in my 2.0 and don’t have any problems during the rain nor snow. But then again I’m in NJ and I’m used to having to drive in adverse weather with a fwd vehicle.
Even before the bar I didn't have these problems that op is controlling the vehicle just took more effort on my part in heavy construction areas on the freeway here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my accord about 3 months ago and I’ve had some serious issues with handling in the rain. It’s a 2018 1.5 sport with 26k miles and every time it rains my traction control comes on and I notice some hydro plaining. The tires and such are all oem and in almost brand new condition. I’m getting it inspected but is anyone else having this issue or have a solution? So far it’s making me regret this car since I live on the east coast and it’s rains frequently and my last car was smaller and had none of these issues. I just would lament that I bought a car with terrible handling to be my daily driver if this is normal.
I had the same problem with my base Accord Sport. I bought it brand new at the end of 2017, and drove a 2013 Accord before that. I noticed this accord started driving “weird” in the rain about 2 years ago. However, I drove 7 minutes to work, not on the highway and I thought maybe I just wasn’t used to all the new sports features. Upon moving further away and driving the freeway more, this became a major issue, like the car would start to almost drift or hydroplane into another lane, going the speed limit. And then I had to drive it in a snow storm and thought I might die 😂
I hit a pot hole and busted a tire, had one tire replaced, problem persisted. The low pressure light stayed on after the tire was replaced and I thought that was a computer issue. Then, driving on the freeway another tire exploded. Got another tire, from the same place from tire discounters. (Still the same Michelin tires). Checked with the guy and made sure both of the good tires were put on the front. After this, I had even worse issues. I was due for an oil change and Honda told me the guy lied and that both the tires were on the same side. Once Honda rotated them, the new tires and everything being balanced made a world of difference. He did, however, tell me to get the rear tires replaced ASAP as well before any winter weather hit. We have not had any bad winter weather in Ohio in years and my car was driving great in the rain. However, we just had a snow storm and I inexplicably spun out on a relatively clean freeway going 50ish in the slow lane and ended up in the median.
I’m just a busy Mom, but the only thing I can think of with things like this happening for the first time in my life at 33, is that these cheap tires suck and I know for a fact that the original ones wore out quickly for the kind of short city distances I had been going. The only thing that has helped me were new tires and making everything balanced. I hope to be able to afford much nicer tires for my two new ones soon.
Sorry so long winded. Hope this helps anyone else having these issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my base Accord Sport. I bought it brand new at the end of 2017, and drove a 2013 Accord before that. I noticed this accord started driving “weird” in the rain about 2 years ago. However, I drove 7 minutes to work, not on the highway and I thought maybe I just wasn’t used to all the new sports features. Upon moving further away and driving the freeway more, this became a major issue, like the car would start to almost drift or hydroplane into another lane, going the speed limit. And then I had to drive it in a snow storm and thought I might die 😂
I hit a pot hole and busted a tire, had one tire replaced, problem persisted. The low pressure light stayed on after the tire was replaced and I thought that was a computer issue. Then, driving on the freeway another tire exploded. Got another tire, from the same place from tire discounters. (Still the same Michelin tires). Checked with the guy and made sure both of the good tires were put on the front. After this, I had even worse issues. I was due for an oil change and Honda told me the guy lied and that both the tires were on the same side. Once Honda rotated them, the new tires and everything being balanced made a world of difference. He did, however, tell me to get the rear tires replaced ASAP as well before any winter weather hit. We have not had any bad winter weather in Ohio in years and my car was driving great in the rain. However, we just had a snow storm and I inexplicably spun out on a relatively clean freeway going 50ish in the slow lane and ended up in the median.
I’m just a busy Mom, but the only thing I can think of with things like this happening for the first time in my life at 33, is that these cheap tires suck and I know for a fact that the original ones wore out quickly for the kind of short city distances I had been going. The only thing that has helped me were new tires and making everything balanced. I hope to be able to afford much nicer tires for my two new ones soon.
Sorry so long winded. Hope this helps anyone else having these issues.
Edit: sorry I said Michelin. Michelin Primacy was the latest tire I had on my old accord. The OEM tires on my current car are the Goodyear Eagle Touring

1 - 18 of 18 Posts