2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who had success programming their Homelink garage opener, can you provide some tips? I tried the instructions from the owner's manual several times with no luck. I gave up. Vehicle is a 2018 Accord Hybrid Touring.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is almost impossible to answer without know exactly what you are doing (or doing wrong), as well as the manufacturer of your garage door opener.

I'm assuming that you have a rolling-code garage door opener. In which case it's a two step process:

• 1st Step is to train the desired HomeLink button to recognize the garage door opener. This is done with with your hand held garage remote.
  • 2nd Step is to sync the newly trained HomeLink button to the opener's rolling code. This is done by hitting the proper button on your ceiling mounted garage door opener, and within 30 seconds, press and holding the desired Homelink button until the light on the garage door opener blinks once (or twice).
Maybe watching a YouTube video may help. In any event, carefully follow the steps in your Accord owner's manual for the type of garage door opener (rolling-code or non rolling-code). Also, check the user's manual that came with your garage door opener.

This is the best that I can come up with. Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same problem and as Keyboard mentions if rolling code type opener you need to "pair" your handheld remote control with your Homeelink first by holding and pressing the handheld remote a couple inches from the Homelink and wait for the Homelink to blink then do Step2 with your garage door opener head unit. Every time I get a new car with Homelink I have to do the steps above before I can get it to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to know the version of Homelink that is in the 2018 Accord. Liftmaster garage door opener manual states revision 4 is needed in order to use homelink to control the 8550 models. Homelink makes a compatibility bridge kit but I do not want to buy one if I do not need it. Has anyone successfully programmed their accord to operate liftmaster/Chamberlin/Craftsman openers?? I have spent several hours trying to program my opener but have not had success.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Accord and a Craftsman garage door opener.
I was not able to get it working by putting the door in learn mode and pressing the button in the Accord.

I had to get the Accord to learn the already programmed remote that came with the door.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2018 Accord and a Craftsman garage door opener.
I was not able to get it working by putting the door in learn mode and pressing the button in the Accord.

I had to get the Accord to learn the already programmed remote that came with the door.

I had to do the same with my 2003 Liftmaster. It is a two step process. Learn the door opener unit on the ceiling and then the garage door remote.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Were you able to get this fixed? I live in a condo and I don't really have access to any learn button if the garage opener has one? is there another way? I have been trying since I got the car and still no luck :(

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
Were you able to get this fixed? I live in a condo and I don't really have access to any learn button if the garage opener has one? is there another way? I have been trying since I got the car and still no luck :(
Unless I'm reading your post wrong or totally confused sounds like you do have a garage door opener to get into your garage. If that's the case see the attachments below regarding how to "learn" your Homelink to activate your garage door... you need to "learn" (link) the Homelink feature in your car to the remote you use to open the garage door.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unless I'm reading your post wrong or totally confused sounds like you do have a garage door opener to get into your garage. If that's the case see the attachments below regarding how to "learn" your Homelink to activate your garage door... you need to "learn" (link) the Homelink feature in your car to the remote you use to open the garage door.
Hi, maybe I could have worded it better lol

So yes, I do have a garage door opener, but in the posts above I see comments on pressing the "learn button" on the ACTUAL garage opener, on the ceiling of the garage, to which I don't have access to. I have tried those steps many times (the ones in the owner manual) and no success

Thanks for the images tho! (y)

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
Hi, maybe I could have worded it better lol

So yes, I do have a garage door opener, but in the posts above I see comments on pressing the "learn button" on the ACTUAL garage opener, on the ceiling of the garage, to which I don't have access to. I have tried those steps many times (the ones in the owner manual) and no success

Thanks for the images tho! (y)
Ok... well... that sucks that you can't get it to work. ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is almost impossible to answer without know exactly what you are doing (or doing wrong), as well as the manufacturer of your garage door opener.

I'm assuming that you have a rolling-code garage door opener. In which case it's a two step process:

• 1st Step is to train the desired HomeLink button to recognize the garage door opener. This is done with with your hand held garage remote.
  • 2nd Step is to sync the newly trained HomeLink button to the opener's rolling code. This is done by hitting the proper button on your ceiling mounted garage door opener, and within 30 seconds, press and holding the desired Homelink button until the light on the garage door opener blinks once (or twice).
Maybe watching a YouTube video may help. In any event, carefully follow the steps in your Accord owner's manual for the type of garage door opener (rolling-code or non rolling-code). Also, check the user's manual that came with your garage door opener.

This is the best that I can come up with. Good luck!
Excellent explanation. May I just ad that it helps to have 2 people doing it. Find a friend to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.