2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. I'm considering a accord 2.0T six speed manual for my next car. I HAVE FEW QUESTIONS.

Thank you in advance.

1. what is the RPM in 6th gear at 70mph
2. what is the RPM in 6th gear at 80mph
3. what is the real world MPG at 70 and 80mph
4. what is the typical range of a full tank of gas on the highway.

I have a 360 mile commute to work once a week and I need to do it on one tank of gas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You'll make it to work. Reported "highway range" from Car and Driver is 510.

I was thinking my highway gas mileage is about 32-33. In the automatic 2.0T, Car and Driver reports having gotten 35 mpg.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Your driving styling is going to impact these numbers as well. So even real world results may differ from what you get. Don't think you'll find a much more fuel efficient car unless you start looking at hybrids.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses.

Do recall the rpm in sixth at 70 and 80 mph?

I heard the transmission is from the type R and I’m worried that the short gearing could make for “high” rpm when cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for your responses.

I heard the transmission is from the type R and I’m worried that the short gearing could make for “high” rpm when cruising on the highway.
My recollection is that at 75, RPM is around 3500 in 6th. I'll check tomorrow.

BTW, I'm not sure what your worry would be with RPM as revolution rate is only relevant to the design of the engine (i.e. higher revving engines from the manufacturer are designed for those things (see, e.g. the K24 engine in my 07 TSX - Max Torque at 4500, VTEC at 6000, and max power is at 7000 RPM).

·
Registered
31 Posts

Forget my prior post. That number is completely wrong.

Here are the numbers from an interstate drive this morning on level ground with the cruise set to 75 mph. (Eco/No Eco makes no difference at steady highway speed):

4th - 4300 RPM
5th - 3200 RPM
6th - 2550 RPM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you

When you said 3500 I gasped.

2550 seems reasonable at 75mph. Do you recall the MPG at 75?

My Golf R turned at 3100 rpm in sixth gear at 80mph and it just sucked down fuel economy 24mpg.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you

My Golf R turned at 3100 rpm in sixth gear at 80mph and it just sucked down fuel economy 24mpg.
It's hard to say. You have the instant read MPG on the instrument console but it goes up any down depending upon slope of the highway. I'm sure Car & Driver is right that it gets 35 MPG at highway speed but I've not yet seen my overall gas mileage on a tank get above 33 MPG. (I'm typically locked in at 74-75 on the cruise.) Of course, that's probably because you need to account for the realities of the low gas mileage of the stop and go drive between the gas station and the highway.

You may be over-thinking this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you

Well, that won't happen in this car. If you set cruise at 80mph in 6th gear, you will average a minimum of 32mpg. 75mph will be even better. That's over 400 miles per tank.

I have the 2.0T 6MT

·
Registered
534 Posts
RPM in OD Top Gear Equal to be approx 36 Mph per 1000 RPM , I should have written down 8th-9th-10th , so from Memory for 10th is all I have ..

Fuel Tank isn't very Big 13 Gallons , then You Better be close to a Fueling Station , also Not Good to Run Tank Low in this Heat - as the - Fuel Cools Fuel Pump ..

13 x 35 = 455 Miles to Tanks is OK - My VW would go 588 to Tank - which If Your Accord also doubled as Commuter Vech. You'd have to stop during the week
and in Cold Weather .. so Hassle in that aspect .. If Your Young - Don't Mine the Traffic at Congested Fuel Stations . read ( Idiots Smoking , Cell Phones , Thief's and Dirty Toilets )
Great Place to Catch Cold or Worst !

Young Folks they never stop to think what Might happen If I have Stop an Extra 26 Times a Year ..
I'd Buy the Hybrid If any of the Automakers at least put a Motor under the Hood ..

Tesla , can't afford that .. or Don't have extra $40k to Install Full Blown ( Tesla Wall with Stand alone Solar ) . .
Then the Tesla is Write Off for Businessmen ! ( Working ) Not Retired . .
Older Folks don't want to Hang around Wait for something to Happen .. Got To Go !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ignore the actual range as it's based off your driving history and I have a heavy foot plus a paper route which does include alot of stop and go which kills mpg. I cant recall myself of the lil details you ask without running a test but I can tell u 65mph in 10th gear runs at like 1500rpm while 80mph is touchin 2000rpm for round 32-34 at 75 I see an average of 35mpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
But bear in mind this is a turbo engine and how deep u plant your foot greatly adjusted consumption. Even a quick passing of a slow vehicle spools the turbo and sucks excess gas to run the engine rich to eliminate engine ping. To get 40mpg I had to make sure that Honda sensing didnt spaz and slow me down when someone brakes on an offramp. On another hyper mile adventure I did see 42mpg at an average of 55-60 no cruise control. Other then that I'm running her at 3k+rpm and loving the lil woosh noises from the turbo haha

·
Registered
133 Posts
RPM in OD top gear equal to be approx 36 Mph per 1000 RPM, I should have written down 8th-9th-10th, so from memory for 10th is all I have...

The fuel tank isn't very big 14.8 gallons, then you better be close to a gas station, also not good to run the tank low in this heat - as the - fuel cools fuel pump...

13 x 35 = 455 miles to tanks is OK - my VW would go 588 to tank - which If your Accord also doubled as a commuter vehicle. You'd have to stop during the week and in cold weather .. so hassle in that aspect .. If you're young - don't mind the traffic at congested fuel stations. read ( Idiots Smoking, Cell Phones, Thieves and Dirty Toilets )
Great place to catch a cold or worst!

Young folks, they never stop to think what might happen If I have stopped an extra 26 times a year.
I'd buy the Hybrid If any of the automakers at least put a motor under the hood.

Tesla, can't afford that or don't have extra $40k to install full-blown Tesla wall with a stand-alone solar charger.
Then the Tesla is a write off for businessmen! (Working not retired).
Older folks don't want to hang around waiting for something to happen .. Got to go!
Wow! I had to try and correct everything just to try and read it. :nerd::crying:
It took a lot to do.

·
Registered
534 Posts
1.5T is all You Need for Commuting and it has plenty of Power - Tunes available etc.
10 Speed gets MPG Award in the 2.0 Variety . Might able to Find last yrs. 1.5T Sport still on lot ..with 6 Speed.

Lightweight wheels & Tires set everything to Higher Psi on 215's You'd probably get 34 - 35 Mpg most Days ,but Overall will be Per - week would be 32Mpg
In Cold Weather even Less - Currently - 31 Mpg doing everyday short runs , but havn't had any long duration Cold .

Hybrid with 10 Speed would be Interesting ~ I ~ Just wanted ~ Real Transmission ..

·
Registered
534 Posts
OK Today - it's Cold enough for Cold Testing !

1.5T is all You Need for Commuting and it has plenty of Power - Tunes available etc.
10 Speed gets MPG Award in the 2.0 Variety . Might able to Find last yrs. 1.5T Sport still on lot ..with 6 Speed.

Lightweight wheels & Tires set everything to Higher Psi on 215's You'd probably get 34 - 35 Mpg most Days ,but Overall will be Per - week would be 32Mpg
In Cold Weather even Less - Currently - 31 Mpg doing everyday short runs , but havn't had any long duration Cold .

Hybrid with 10 Speed would be Interesting ~ I ~ Just wanted ~ Real Transmission ..
Cold Testing : Around 31 Mpg for short Runs , but after 10 ~11 Miles Get everything Good and Warmed Up _ I Stopped Filled Up _ Reset .
80 Miles round Trip ( I Had Added 1.5-2.0 Ounces Marvel - Fuel Additive for Cold Weather Lube of - Injectors & Cold Starts . ) Had few
Stops for Shopping & Lunch . ( 1 Stop Motor Actually Cooled Off - 40 min. )
* Got 34.5 Mpg with Tires @ 36 Psi Frt / 34 Psi rear .. * doing 45 Mph to 65 Mph . . . :smile:

·
Registered
68 Posts
'19 Sport 2.0T 10-sp. here. I almost always set the cruise at 73-74mph (65mph speed limit) on the highway and the best I 've been able to get so far is 31.4mpg on 25 mile trips. I only have ~450 mi. on the odo so I am hoping I can get 32-34 like you guys are getting as the engine breaks in.

However - once I get off the highway I have 4.5 miles of back roads with 5 stop lights before I get home. By the time I pull into the driveway it reads 28.x to 29mpg :(
Around town I average 18.5-19mpg which is the same as my '11 335i that has a 3.0L V6 (turbo) weighs 300lbs more, and has more power. So not what I was expecting from the Accord which is 8 years newer and should supposedly have better technology and be more efficient.

·
Registered
13 Posts
'19 Sport 2.0T 10-sp. here. I almost always set the cruise at 73-74mph (65mph speed limit) on the highway and the best I 've been able to get so far is 31.4mpg on 25 mile trips. I only have ~450 mi. on the odo so I am hoping I can get 32-34 like you guys are getting as the engine breaks in.

However - once I get off the highway I have 4.5 miles of back roads with 5 stop lights before I get home. By the time I pull into the driveway it reads 28.x to 29mpg :(
Around town I average 18.5-19mpg which is the same as my '11 335i that has a 3.0L V6 (turbo) weighs 300lbs more, and has more power. So not what I was expecting from the Accord which is 8 years newer and should supposedly have better technology and be more efficient.
Something is not right. I have almost a 100% city drive and I average 25-26mpg. That's with the 6 speed manual and goofing around in boost here and there. If you can only get 18-19mpg something is seriously wrong. My guess is just the break in period.

Wait until you hit 2-3k miles and then measure it over an entire tank and not just over a few miles for a more accurate assessment. My guess is you will be pleased with the fuel economy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Still Can't Read - Just Added More Details

Ya Never Know , what's in there as Far as Break_in Debris

I usually remove the Filters in first 2000 miles or Less and Tire Pressure needs to be High on these for Good Mpg :
( But You have the Tall Gearing of 10X Auto & Heavy Tires of the Sport . )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts