2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 Hybrid Touring, I wanted to set up the HondaLink remote but ran into 2 issues, first I don't know if its even compatible.. On the HondaLink website it shows Hybrid is not compatible but the Touring is, so I was hoping that some one may have some clarification on this. Also it keeps telling me that the infotainment needs a OTA update, but in the car it shows everything is up to date.

This may already be posted but I couldn't find the thread, so apologies in advance!

Thanks for any help!

· Registered
969 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 Hybrid Touring, I wanted to set up the HondaLink remote but ran into 2 issues, first I don't know if its even compatible.. On the HondaLink website it shows Hybrid is not compatible but the Touring is, so I was hoping that some one may have some clarification on this. Also it keeps telling me that the infotainment needs a OTA update, but in the car it shows everything is up to date.

This may already be posted but I couldn't find the thread, so apologies in advance!

Thanks for any help!
I never investigated the Hondalink because I read it had so many problems, and really it's just a redundant system. If the car says it's up to date then it is. Howdy.

· Administrator
2,866 Posts
I have an '18 Touring (not hybrid) and have/use HondaLink (Remote & Security but not Conceirge). I haven't experienced any issues when using it. Some features are redundant in name but not in ability... example Remote Start, yes this can be done w/the key fob but with the application it doesn't have to be line of sight or you have to be anywhere near your car for it to work. I can also lock/unlock my car, turn lights on/off, and blow horn thru the app. There are other features available that you find useful also.

The issue you are seeing of your car needing the OTA update may well be related to you not being able to set up Hondalink. Recently an update was required by February 22, 2022 that was required/related to the ability to use/continue to use HondaLink. It was because of cellular carriers phasing out 3G (read about it here) and this update made the system compatible and continued use. Unfortunately if that update wasn't done by 2/22/22 if I remember correctly it would require taking it to a dealer and there would be a cost involved to update the system.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an '18 Touring (not hybrid) and have/use HondaLink (Remote & Security but not Conceirge). I haven't experienced any issues when using it. Some features are redundant in name but not in ability... example Remote Start, yes this can be done w/the key fob but with the application it doesn't have to be line of sight or you have to be anywhere near your car for it to work. I can also lock/unlock my car, turn lights on/off, and blow horn thru the app. There are other features available that you find useful also.

The issue you are seeing of your car needing the OTA update may well be related to you not being able to set up Hondalink. Recently an update was required by February 22, 2022 that was required/related to the ability to use/continue to use HondaLink. It was because of cellular carriers phasing out 3G (read about it here) and this update made the system compatible and continued use. Unfortunately if that update wasn't done by 2/22/22 if I remember correctly it would require taking it to a dealer and there would be a cost involved to update the system.
This is what I'm hoping for, I live in an apartment building and cannot remote start my car while its in the parking structure. I'm not sure if the update was done, but I'm pretty sure that some of the things that use cellular are working. It doesn't seem very clear and I haven't been able to get in touch with HondaLink customer service as they are not open on weekends.

· Administrator
2,866 Posts
This is what I'm hoping for, I live in an apartment building and cannot remote start my car while its in the parking structure. I'm not sure if the update was done, but I'm pretty sure that some of the things that use cellular are working. It doesn't seem very clear and I haven't been able to get in touch with HondaLink customer service as they are not open on weekends.
HondaLink still might not be able to start your car in the parking structure if it can't receive a signal. Have you noticed if you have cellular service in that parking structure? I've started my car unlocked/locked doors miles away with HondaLink but my car was outside when this was done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.