2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2018 Accord Touring Hybrid. The Hondalink screen began rebooting randomly while driving immediately after we purchased it. Happened about once per month. We now have owned it for 17 months and it reboots 2-3 times per week. Original dealer could/would do nothing. Took it to another dealer who has suggested it might be related to our iPhones and the IOS update version. We are doubtful this is the issue, but will disconnect the phone to see if it happens again.

Both dealers claimed they have NEVER seen this happen before, which is hard to believe, since there are dozens and dozens of posts about the same thing happening to others.

In our case, the reboot occurs when on the highway, surface streets, at night, during the day, with radio on or off, with GPS working or not... The other day, it occurred in the dark while following a car. It rebooted and unfortunately my brights came on and remained on, despite being 40 feet from another vehicle. Brights went off after the 30 second reboot.

Very frustrated with the dealers stating they have never seen it. Will be directing them to this forum.

Have seen that others ultimately got a new infotainment center installed. I suspect that may ultimately be the issue. By the way, we had the backup camera recall addressed many months ago, which the first dealer said might be the problem. It had no effect on our problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the sames issues. It was rebooting 4 times per week. Black screen then reboot.

The dealer replaces my radio and no more problems since, except that sometime, carplay disconnect for no reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay - after many calls, I have some good updates. It appears Honda has now acknowledged the problem and is working on a fix. No ETA, however, I'm told it will be an "over the air" software fix. They said that I will need to check back with my dealer on a regular basis until they get word from Honda that the fix is ready. Apparently you connect your car to wifi and the fix will download automatically. Not sure how that will work, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

NOTE that this fix is being made to address the issue of the Infotainment screen going black and rebooting while driving. It is NOT addressing issues where it blacks out while backing up or while starting the car, etc. ONLY for the problem where it's an intermittent reboot during normal driving.

I contacted Honda Customer Service at 1-800-999-1009. It seems that the more people that report issues like this, the easier it is for them to acknowledge a real problem and start to work on the solution.

·
Administrator
2,552 Posts
Okay - after many calls, I have some good updates. It appears Honda has now acknowledged the problem and is working on a fix. No ETA, however, I'm told it will be an "over the air" software fix. They said that I will need to check back with my dealer on a regular basis until they get word from Honda that the fix is ready. Apparently you connect your car to wifi and the fix will download automatically. Not sure how that will work, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

NOTE that this fix is being made to address the issue of the Infotainment screen going black and rebooting while driving. It is NOT addressing issues where it blacks out while backing up or while starting the car, etc. ONLY for the problem where it's an intermittent reboot during normal driving.

I contacted Honda Customer Service at 1-800-999-1009. It seems that the more people that report issues like this, the easier it is for them to acknowledge a real problem and start to work on the solution.
Updating the system wirelessly is covered in the owners manual pages 286 - 289 (see attached). If you haven't already you should set your car up to connect to your home wifi system and set it up to auto download updates... when updates are available it will download/install them.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
After many months of working fine my system is once again rebooting randomly several times a week always in the morning on my drive to work

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem. Have had it from the beginning. Last week they replaced the info center and they thought it was fixed. WELL, it happened again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Accord Touring bought new late 2017 has had the infotainment issues since the first week! In and out of the shop constantly but because they “can’t replicate it”, it’s not happening. I began videoing every time it reboots and sent all videos to the service writer. Finally, they replaced the infotainment system. We didn’t even get home from the dealership before it was rebooting again. I’m now 500 miles from being out of warranty and still no solution. According to the dealer “They’ve never heard of an Accord having this problem...mine is the only one.”:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today, 3.12.2021
I do not own an accord but a 2020 Honda Civic Hatchback. I live in Southern Cali, and just today on my way to work (going down the Cajon Pass if anyone is failure with the area) my screen started music stopped playing (connected to ApplePlay) and then I noticed my screen started blinking ... I thought MAYBE it was the service connection? Same thing happen to me on my way home. The weird thing was that the system rebooted and both times it came back with different settings. I’m wondering if it has to do with a connection/service issue.. for you guys here when the system rebooted we’re you in a bad or god service area?
Unrelated to this post, I’ve also been very curious about the satellite 🛰 GPS, I was told I don’t have navigation (I have the EX-L model) but the satellite always shows and I have clicked on it, hold for about 1 mins or so and it says it’s GPS NAVI, when I try and turn it off it will randomly turn back on or when I’m driving I will randomly get an alert that says cannot preform while car is in motion or something along those lines. I have tried to turn it off and it continues to turn back on.
The dealership is no help what so ever it’s like they have no idea, they just sell cars and care about their profit.
Anyone here who can help or find out anything new?
I’m going to try to connect to WiFi and try to update. Will be back with results.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Things to try I had this problem factory reset. But before you do that turn the Bluetooth off on your phone and delete Honda link from the phone. Next delete it from the car now do a factory reset. Another thing to try a different USB cable a good quality one. After doing these things I no longer have this
problem

·
Registered
29 Posts
Things to try I had this problem factory reset. But before you do that turn the Bluetooth off on your phone and delete Honda link from the phone. Next delete it from the car now do a factory reset. Another thing to try a different USB cable a good quality one. After doing these things I no longer have this
problem
One thing I forgot turn the phone off for about 30 seconds it helps clear the catch on your Bluetooth following these steps I was able to resolve the problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts