2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this on Hondata's facebook page. It's almost a month old but I'm just going to put this here to spread the news out if anyone is looking into Hondata tunes in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVr7eEsPt-8

I mean a base line of 265HP/300TQ! That is quick. And Honda claims 252HP/273lb-ft.

I like to thank Hondata for the dyno run. I knew something wasn't right about this car. It felt a lot faster.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! Not surprised they were able to squeeze so much more torque and power out of the Accord because it does kind of share the Type R's engine, but with a few modifications.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not bad numbers but given how much the Type R makes that tune could have done better by getting closer to what the Type R makes, that being closer to 300 or beyond it. Once someone can get it to around 315hp... that will really turn some head if you ask me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Power delivery comes lower down in the rpm curve as well for more low end grunt if that's what you want more of. Any more and it'll be in hot hatch territory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well coming from the 2018 Civic Si community, if they can squeeze out 300 wtq and 260 whp on the 1.5T, then the limits on this SHOULD be much higher. That and the cars factory tune is so restricted VIT says they basically rape you on power. The torque and hp falls off so bad on top end that a good tune, NOT A PRELOADED MAP, will make these cars a monster. Of course I have the 2.0T so that will be significantly different from the Accord 1.5T but facts remain the same.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update from Hondata: New Video for the 2.0T! As of 1/27/18

My Hondata is ready!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Update from Hondata: New Video for the 2.0T! As of 1/27/18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyDhJtapFXQ

My Hondata is ready!
Love those results and odds are I will get it. Was waiting for a good tune to show up before I start getting into doing modifications like a cold air intake, cat back exhaust and the like. Just doing one of them is almost never enough, but a number of them is what i'm always after.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's your Accord? Did you go for the stage 2 tune for that 20 horsepower bump or the stage one for those extra 10 ponies?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not surprising the see the hidden potential restricted behind the factory limiters. It'll be interesting to see just how far a stock model can be pushed with an aftermarket tune. After seeing this video it becomes clear that we don't even need an R spec variant of the Accord. With some aftermarket modification, drivers could have a serious performance sedan on their hands. Does anyone know approximately what one of these Hondata tunes runs cost wise?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not surprising the see the hidden potential restricted behind the factory limiters. It'll be interesting to see just how far a stock model can be pushed with an aftermarket tune. After seeing this video it becomes clear that we don't even need an R spec variant of the Accord. With some aftermarket modification, drivers could have a serious performance sedan on their hands. Does anyone know approximately what one of these Hondata tunes runs cost wise?
With all the information I have seen on the Accord, a 50hp increase distributed enough through the lower and mid ranges would make this the perfect mid-size sedan for me. This coming from someone that once only wanted RWD!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The stage 2 tune gives the Accord a substantial hp and torque bump at lower ranges and you can even see where it comes in on the dyno chart. That'll give you a nice feeling when you accelerate from a stand still.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have to say I'm seeing more and more why the Accord won the NA Car of the Year. I know that was based upon what's offered in the stock model, but there seems to be some real potential under the hood of this car, that makes its value even greater. I'm hoping we see some real tuners on this forum, who show us just how much the new Accord is capable of.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's your Accord? Did you go for the stage 2 tune for that 20 horsepower bump or the stage one for those extra 10 ponies?
Not mine. I believed they borrowed it either from someone or the dealership

I believe it's like $350 for the calibration and maybe fine tuning and dyno runs.

I have a FlashPro already($700). You can upload the calibration for free once you update the Hondata FlashPro Manager to the latest beta.

I just tried this last night but they only have the automatic 10-speed calibration ready. My accord has a 6 speed manual. I emailed Hondata and they said they will release the 6 speed 2.0T soon.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well be sure to lets us know what performance increases you achieve out of the new flash on the 2.0T. It looks like a pretty significant change for the price, which could be further increased with some aftermarket mods to the exhaust/intake.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The stage 2 tune gives the Accord a substantial hp and torque bump at lower ranges and you can even see where it comes in on the dyno chart. That'll give you a nice feeling when you accelerate from a stand still.
I am new to the mod issue with Honda. I also own a Mk7 GTI with a Stage one tune. In most cases VW will void warranty coverage of any powertrain issues if tuned. The ECU software will not only show the new software, but can track the number of times it happened. Removing the tune will still be found. What is Honda’s policy with this issue. My new Accord is a Sport 2.0T, 10 speed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am new to the mod issue with Honda. I also own a Mk7 GTI with a Stage one tune. In most cases VW will void warranty coverage of any powertrain issues if tuned. The ECU software will not only show the new software, but can track the number of times it happened. Removing the tune will still be found. What is Honda’s policy with this issue. My new Accord is a Sport 2.0T, 10 speed.
Recently, I talked to Hondata about this concern with the new Civic and Accords. Matt from Hondata stated that they shouldn't be able to tell. So you should be fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Recently, I talked to Hondata about this concern with the new Civic and Accords. Matt from Hondata stated that they shouldn't be able to tell. So you should be fine.
That was the response from APR regarding VW discovering their tunes. Turned out they can easily find the tune and routinely connect to the Customer’s ECU and flag that VIN for canceling of the powertrain warranty nationwide for any offending vehicle. There is a counter in the ECU that will record the number of times this happens so that even removing the tune does not help. Apparently VW was tolerant of these tunes until about 2 years ago but are denying warranty claims for tuned cars now. This issue needs more research. Hondadata may be good at what they do, but I am betting Honda of America knows even more about their computers and software.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would assume that most drivers are aware of the risks associated with tuning a brand new car. Not sure if there is any point in hoping that Honda wont be able to find changes that have been made to the ECU, because I think its safe to assume that they can. Not sure of Honda's stance on the issue though, so I don't know if it will result in similar powertrain warranty voids.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That was the response from APR regarding VW discovering their tunes. Turned out they can easily find the tune and routinely connect to the Customer’s ECU and flag that VIN for canceling of the powertrain warranty nationwide for any offending vehicle. There is a counter in the ECU that will record the number of times this happens so that even removing the tune does not help. Apparently VW was tolerant of these tunes until about 2 years ago but are denying warranty claims for tuned cars now. This issue needs more research. Hondadata may be good at what they do, but I am betting Honda of America knows even more about their computers and software.

Yes, any car manufacturers can tell if your ECU has been tuned even if it was reverted back to stock... IF they really wanted to void your warranty. But they would have to determine if the ECU reflash really caused the problem at first.

If you are really concerned about your warranty and don't want to deal with dealers trying to void your warranty. Then just stick with stock.

As for me, I believe Hondata tunes are really reliable that even a very small amount of Honda Dealership are charging extra for a FP base tune. Coming from 8th gen civic si with IHE + FP tune for 5-6 years. I never had a problem with the engine or transmission.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had no idea that some dealerships even offer aftermarket tunes. If that's the case then there is probably less to worry about with Honda. Also I think Honda sort of anticipates owners trying to push the most they can out of the Type R, it's certainly a car made for driving enthusiasts. Glad to hear you've never had issues and I don't see any new problems arising with the FK8.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts