2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here, so my apologies in advance if I'm not posting this in the right place.

'18 2.0T Touring

The WiFi in my car (one of the reasons I chose the model I did) works - barely. Whether I am in the heart of the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area with very strong AT&T 4G LTE service or in the boonies, I'm getting absolutely horrific speeds with the Hotspot service. I haven't reached out to AT&T or Honda yet ... just wondering if others are having similar problems or similar speeds? My Android phone, not pictured, is on AT&T and I'm able to pull an average of about 40mbs download when connected to LTE. My iPhone 8+, pictured below, is on the Verizon network but is connected to the AT&T Hotspot and this was the *best* I was able to get...after 20+ tests using ookla's speed test app. Have also tried on the Android (Galaxy S9+) with similar results.

Any advice?

(And yes, I know my dash is really dusty -- 3 cats and a dog!)

Thanks,
Evan

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not sure how many owners have really tested out the Wifi performance in the Accord so far. Not sure if its something they could improve with software tweaks, or if they simply didn't use a powerful enough transmitter/receiver. Has Honda posted what sort of mbps we should be seeing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scotty,

I haven't really been able to find much on the internet about what speeds are specific to Honda vehicles. But, I do know that other vehicles with WiFi capabilities have much better performance than what I've seen. 4G LTE speeds (according to AT&T) should average about 8mbps down and 3mbps up when the hotspot has the maximum number of devices connected. With only one device connected, I have yet to see anything even remotely close to that.

Thanks!
Evan

·
Registered
44 Posts
I activated our trial 3month/3Gig membership last Thursday for a long weekend trip 500 miles each way. I disabled the WiFi after activating it to make sure my device wouldn't use more data than necessary while it had its own service. However I found out that they allow you to get to the screen with the enable/disable button while the car is moving but wont let you enable/disable the WiFi without stopping for 10-15 seconds at least. Other than that it worked ok although we went through all 3 Gig in 4 days because one of the devices reactivated WiFi on the way home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm fairly sure if your Accord has the wifi capability, it comes with a free trial. I'm way beyond my free trial. I called AT&T and they did some OTA configurations and, while still pretty slow compared to Verizon wifi in our other car, it's better than it was. I think it maxes out at about 8mbps up and down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same issue. 2019 accord hybrid touring and after several tests in different areas, download speeds no faster than 2 mbps.. And uploads at 4 mbps.. Not sure what the problem is, but the antenna output/receiving or the receiving unit.. Software would be easiest IF they updated, but not sure if or when it would happen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended my service with AT&T a while back over this. Now I have a portable MiFi hotspot with Verizon and I average in the 40s down and 20s up (mbps). Not as convenient as the built-in, but much faster and more reliable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts