2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to permanently lock out first gear on our 2019 Accord because it us way too low for anything other than perfectly dry road conditions. Even a little rain or sand in the road makes it difficult to launch quickly. It about ruins the car for winter driving. I know I can lock out first in Sport mode, but that's obviously not ideal for winter driving, and Mrs Boomer is never gonna use that anyway.
Is there a way to lock it out without hauling the tranny out?

TIA

hans

·
Registered
71 Posts
It upshifts to 2nd gear at 1500 rpm so 1st isn't even really used except to get rolling, even in sport mode with manual shifting it still upshifts automatically to second at 1500 rpm.

If wheel spin is a problem upshift manually when in full auto mode, as long as your speed is high enough you can do that,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Replace the upper torque mount with 50880-TVC-A21.

Get better tires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It upshifts to 2nd gear at 1500 rpm so 1st isn't even really used except to get rolling, even in sport mode with manual shifting it still upshifts automatically to second at 1500 rpm.

If wheel spin is a problem upshift manually when in full auto mode, as long as your speed is high enough you can do that,
I know it’s only used to get rolling, but that is the problem. A lot of my driving requires entering fast traffic from a dead stop. Unless the road is perfectly dry wheel spin just makes the car slower. Once I’m rolling there’s no need to upshift.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replace the upper torque mount with 50880-TVC-A21.

Get better tires.
That would probably make it worse. He got chirp from the tires on the 1-2 shift.
I’m using Blizzaks in the winter. There any winter tires much better than that. It’s still a problem.
I was hoping some transmission hacker could just show me how to plug up some vacuum port or something and lock it out completely. In the real world that gear has no use at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Better tires cannot be worse. Better grip means less wheelspin which means you get going faster. But I noticed you didnt state what motor your Accord is equipped with
I already have Blizzks for the winter, i can't do much better than that. Sometimes the problem is a rain, other times it's just some sand in the road. I don't know what tires would work better in both conditions.
I stronger motor maount will control wheel hop but not wheeel spin. Hop is too much traction for thw suspension to handle, spin is too little traction.
I don't know why Honda put that low gear in there. I can't think of any situation where it is useful. Maybe it helps get by the EPA test cycle or something, but it makes the car worse in the real world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts