2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Honda Accord Sport with 2k miles and have had it for 3 weeks. New car smell was strong as ever the first 2 days, went away and when it got hot, it came back even stronger. I‘d like to preserve it, how to keep it and how long did yours last? I vacuum it weekly and try to keep it clean of food or eating in it...

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
520 Posts
I couldn't wait for the new car smell to dissipate, lol! My 2019 Accord new car smell went away pretty quick - I didn't even really notice it - but our 2020 CRV, have had it for almost a month, new car smell is super strong and lingering (and I've been keeping a window or two cracked open too). My Accord has some medium cheapy seat covers while the CRV doesn't, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with anything.

To prolong the smell, you can try something like: New Car Scent & Leather Scent Kit | I've never tried anything like that but they seem to have decent reviews...

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Never really concerned myself or worried about keeping the "new car smell" as much as I have about keeping the new car look (cleanliness). I'm anal about keeping the exterior & interior as clean as the day I picked the car up... it's a lot of work but IMO well worth it. I haven't used the product(s) above mentioned by @Samuelx but have used products by Chemical Guys and been very happy w/them. If you are that concerned about the new car smell you can change the cabin filter more often... and might try spraying the filter w/the product previously mentioned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't wait for the new car smell to dissipate, lol! My 2019 Accord new car smell went away pretty quick - I didn't even really notice it - but our 2020 CRV, have had it for almost a month, new car smell is super strong and lingering (and I've been keeping a window or two cracked open too). My Accord has some medium cheapy seat covers while the CRV doesn't, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with anything.

To prolong the smell, you can try something like: New Car Scent & Leather Scent Kit | I've never tried anything like that but they seem to have decent reviews...
I smell it when air is on, it’s at its strongest when it’s hot outside. I try to keep windows up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One other thing to consider if the new car smell is important to you is to actually pick your car, especially at large volume dealerships. Specifically, once you've determined trim, color, etc., advise the salesperson you want the car with the most recent build date. Food for thought.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Thought about this thread after reading How to replace your cabin air filter DIY and seeing @Dan Villa filter then checking my own. There is a lot of debris that accumulates in these filters along with a significant amount of discoloration of filter itself. I changed mine the other day and prior to installation I misted it with some New Car Smell Air Freshener and let it dry overnight. Honestly I can't tell or smell much difference (might be due to allergies/allergy season), but the changing of the cabin filter has been added to my annual maintenance list.

As a side note my wife has a '19 TLX and I tease her that she's just got a fancy Honda so when I was getting filter for my car I checked to see what filter would fit hers. Well, the same size that fits mine fits hers so I got two... when I pulled hers out it was stamped "Honda" just like mine. Got a big kick out of showing her and rubbing it in.😂🤣

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought about this thread after reading How to replace your cabin air filter DIY and seeing @Dan Villa filter then checking my own. There is a lot of debris that accumulates in these filters along with a significant amount of discoloration of filter itself. I changed mine the other day and prior to installation I misted it with some New Car Smell Air Freshener and let it dry overnight. Honestly I can't tell or smell much difference (might be due to allergies/allergy season), but the changing of the cabin filter has been added to my annual maintenance list.

As a side note my wife has a '19 TLX and I tease her that she's just got a fancy Honda so when I was getting filter for my car I checked to see what filter would fit hers. Well, the same size that fits mine fits hers so I got two... when I pulled hers out it was stamped "Honda" just like mine. Got a big kick out of showing her and rubbing it in.😂🤣
I have 24k miles in 9 months now. The new smell is completely gone now.. its still in the trunk and the smell is on the doors but not the whole interior it’s weird and hard to explain haha. I’m wondering when does Honda recommend changing the cabin air filters? I asked the dealer about mine at my last 2 oil changes at 14k and 21k I’ve done 3 so far at 7k intervals and my service department always tell me it’s not recommended.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
I have 24k miles in 9 months now. The new smell is completely gone now.. its still in the trunk and the smell is on the doors but not the whole interior it’s weird and hard to explain haha. I’m wondering when does Honda recommend changing the cabin air filters? I asked the dealer about mine at my last 2 oil changes at 14k and 21k I’ve done 3 so far at 7k intervals and my service department always tell me it’s not recommended.
Not sure when Honda recommends them however for under $20 and something that is easy to change myself I'll be doing mine annually. The video that was posted in the thread I referenced shows how dirty they can get (wish I would have taken a pic of mine). I was really surprised at how much debris was in mine with just shy of 9K miles... car is 3 years old.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure when Honda recommends them however for under $20 and something that is easy to change myself I'll be doing mine annually. The video that was posted in the thread I referenced shows how dirty they can get (wish I would have taken a pic of mine). I was really surprised at how much debris was in mine with just shy of 9K miles... car is 3 years old.
That’s a nice amount of miles for a 3 year old car. I definitely will look into how to change mine out now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.