2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

How Much Tq 10X Auto - Rated For ?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  azrael69 
#1 ·
Just Looking around to get Info on the 10X Auto ~ Spec's etc. I Noticed it being rated for 3500 Lbs Towing in Odyssey , but Only 2000 in Accord ?

Gearing Check on - Honda Odyssey 2018 has the 10X Auto : That said It must be Different some How as Odyssey is Rated to Pull - 3500lbs , 2018 Odyssey Weights 4355 - 4595lbs or 1200 Lbs Heavier
Then Our Accord , Yet it's Tow Rating is 1500lbs - More Towing so I was like - What's Up ?

( I Found this Interesting ) as for Gearing in Odyssey's 10X Auto is _ Exactly Same for all Gear Ratios as Accords

That Being V6 280 Hp & 266 Tq. ~ It would Not get as HOT ~ But it is also Running 235/60's Tall - Truck Tires .. 29.4 Dia vs 25.9_26.2 Dia.

Final Ratio is 3.61 where the Accord 3.54 - These Two Final Gear Ratio's are so Close - there has to something Else Going On ~

This Being Odd ~ Haa LOL
Possibly it's Not a Lock Up Type Converter on 2018 Odyssey , so this Begs the Question what's so Different ?
Is the 2018 Odyssey's 10 X Auto is it Totally Different Set of Beefed Up - Bearings - Gear Sets that allow 3500 Towing ?

Certainly seems We have Odyssey taking Place , did Honda Add HD Lining & Larger Cooler ?

It does look to have some Different O-Rings and Valves - Yet - Filter & Warmer are the same . . The Odyssey Continues . .

Could that Trans Be Rated much Higher & ( Yet Bolt Up ) to the Accord for those Huge HP Builds - that someone will be doing ?

See less See more
#2 ·
Accords have always been 1000lbs or zero towing capacity.

Ody has always been up to 3500lbs.

The transmission is rarely the limiting factor when it comes to towing performance, and its definitely not a factor for the old nor new Accords. I have towed a LOT with many 4 bangers including my old 2004 Accord often 1000lbs of trailer + ATV/Motorcycle/Riding Lawn mower/etc. I would never tow more, even if that older car had the power of the V6 or 2.0T.

Nearly all FWD ONLY crossovers, minivans and SUV's are capped at 3500lbs to avoid removing too much weight from the front drive axle.

#6 ·
This brings up another good point. The market for a sedan that can be rated to tow 3500lbs is just not there, so Honda doesn't sacrifice their design to make that happen. Having a 2000lb towing capacity in the Accord fulfills the needs of 99%+ of their sedan towers that have a 1000lb trailer and 500-800lbs of cargo.

And let's be honest here, anybody with serious towing needs that owns a boat, car hauler, or RV is going to get a truck or SUV with 8-10k+ towing capacity and be done with it. For your casual towers hauling a toy or mower around, 2000 lbs is plenty.

#3 ·
This is the Technical Area ~ So ~ I'll Try to make out what Your Saying , so If We added Cross Bracing & Trailer Pulling Tq. Arms - One could Pull 3500 lbs Behind Accord ?
( I Freaking Doubt it )

Items could be . . . It looks to have Different Hydraulic Wiring Harness ( That should not be a Spec. Changer ) to Greater ~ HP & Tq Ratings for 10X

3.55 vs 3.61 Can't be the Reason . .

26" Tires vs 29.4" Tires can't be the Reason

3324 lbs vs 4595 Lbs Not the Reason ..Lets Not forget 6 Persons also ..

Fact that Odyssey has 13" Rear Brakes might Help .. Possibly Stronger Chassis May Help small amount ~ New Trans 10 Speed & Motor Combo - haven't been able to Find Trans Rating ..

#4 ·
Just Adding some More Info - Looking In 10X Auto and It's True Ratings ~
I could Not Find a Trailer Towing Package ? Is there One ?

I did see Cats were Mounted Further back on the Odyssey , more Open Air Exit , Looks to be Cooling Fans with more Capability ( All this make for Cooler Engine Bay )
vs Large Exhaust Cat & Turbo - Stuffed into Bay ..right where the Trans Works ..

I did Not Find a Trans Cooler Or an Oil Cooler to Aid Towing , only what's called the Trans Warmer - Trans Oil Runs Through .. Which seems Off

as 4595 lbs & 6 Persons and 3500 lb Trailer going Over the Rockies - I don't see this happening in - Reliable Manor _Nor Trans Fluid Holding Up for 75K or 90K . .

I see the Parts List has Removed : On all Rebuild Kits Listed 10X - is this so GA Facility to sell more Transmissions ?
Hoping Honda Over Designed the Transmission to Go 200K Plus !

#5 · (Edited)
It seems like you are looking for 2 different answers here. In your thread title, you are asking how much torque the 10AT is rated for. I cannot find the article right now, but I remember reading Honda released that the new 10AT can handle up to 300ft-lbs through this transmission. This rating applies to all platforms - whether Accord or Odyssey.

In regards to your other question, keep in mind that towing capacity in a lot of cases is a "cover your butt" number that the manufacturers put out, and is not always a technical limitation of the components. There are all kinds of factors that help them (their lawyers) arrive at a "safe" number here - especially around things like vehicle weight, braking capacity, and having the right class hitch. You will see in some cases towing packages coming with things like lower gear ratios, external trans coolers, and built in trailer brake controllers ... but from your research so far it sounds like these are not a factor here.

My guess is, the Accord is capable of 3500lbs just like the Odyssey, but it just won't get the official factory stamp. It could be above their comfort level for gross vehicle weight, braking capacity, suspension squat due to tongue weight, weight distribution being too far off reasonable specs, or a host of other factors. None of which I see the transmission being one of.

#7 ·
I Lightly Touched on those subjects , I'm Certainly Looking at the Topic . There Most Likely isn't any Correct Answers - Just Up for Discussions ..

So It's Starting to look like Honda's - Marketing _ BS and To Light of Frame Work and Thin Sheet Metal - Made to Fold Up like pc Tin Foil . . seems like what I'm Hearing . .

As that Odyssey isn't Going over any Mountains with 6 Persons & 3500 lbs Or ( At Least Not for Very Long )

Seems many Set Up's - Never seen One with No Extra Trans Cooler at the very Least ..

Might Be Time for some Good Chassis Bracing or Strut Brace :

Anyhow , I for One would like to see (( Optimized Mid Pipe )) to Keep Proper Exhaust Gas - Scavenging so Max Gas - Speed & Efficiency is Obtained

without Going to the Floor for 7-9 Seconds ( Which is Only really good for Dyno Pulls or Drag Racing .. Not for the 92% of Driving Most Do ..

I Believe 2.75 Inch with More Efficient Design would Draw Heat from the Engine Bay ( Ceramic Coated )

Engine Bay Heat - has to have Impact on It's Trans Rating ~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.