2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Accord Sport 1.5. The dealer mentioned every 7500 miles. I understand the ideal interval may be different based on weather and driving conditions so here's mine:

- the majority of the miles are commuting. About 9 miles one way to get to work, anywhere from 15-20 minutes on average. Some of that time is on a freeway but it's congested so rarely just cruising at normal highway speeds. Basically, a lot of stop and go stuff. Then the occasional road trip.

- I live in Austin, TX. Summers are really hot, winters are pretty mild.

My understanding is that with the turbo, the oil line is narrower in some fashion than a non-turbo engine so if sludge builds up in the oil, a minor amount can have a more negative impact in this car than otherwise. I'm also a buy and hold guy, my last car was a 2005 infinity g35 I bought in 2006, just got rid of with 160,000 miles and the engine running beautifully. I like to take great care of my cars.

I don't want to spend more than I need to spend on this, and I don't want overkill, but if I'm going to err I'd rather err on the side of safety and keeping the oil cleaner and fresher. So all that said, should I follow the dealer's advice and go every 7500 miles? Knock that down to 5,000 miles?

I appreciate any recommendations, thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've done two oil changes so far, both at 5,000 miles. you'd probably be fine with getting away with 7,500 though.
Id go off whatever your cars built in maintenance reminder says, it'll automatically tell you when its time to change your filters and fluids in a code of letters and numbers.

·
Super Moderator
2,320 Posts
Go by the maintenance minder... it takes in all the conditions/concerns you have mentioned above and goes by them to let you know when to change it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.

For clarification, when you guys say maintenance minder or reminder, will the car itself give me some kind of notification that I'm approaching the time to change the oil? Does that appear on the dash? In the app (that I rarely look at)?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, got off my ass and googled "2018 accord maintenance minder" and found a nice PDF Honda put out with all the codes and shows where the info is displayed. Nice.

So to be clear, is the system "smart" enough that it will adjust the recommendation on when to change oil based on weather and driving conditions? So if I'm doing a lot of highway driving in temperate weather it might recommend a longer interval than if I'm doing a lot of city driving in hot weather? If it can really do that, that's incredible.

·
Super Moderator
2,320 Posts
ok, got off my ass and googled "2018 accord maintenance minder" and found a nice PDF Honda put out with all the codes and shows where the info is displayed. Nice.

So to be clear, is the system "smart" enough that it will adjust the recommendation on when to change oil based on weather and driving conditions? So if I'm doing a lot of highway driving in temperate weather it might recommend a longer interval than if I'm doing a lot of city driving in hot weather? If it can really do that, that's incredible.
Yes the maintenance minder will do all of that... it's that smart. (y)

I don't drive my car on a daily basis (have another car for daily driver & motorcycle when weather permits)… most of my driving have been short 20 mile local trips w/the longest probably being about a 60/70 mile highway trip. My first service going by the maintenance minder was done at 4,000 miles. Those that have a lot of long/highway trips will go a lot further between services.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there any drawback to doing the first oil change early?
My Accord 2.0 is almost two month old and it has 1,200 miles. I'd like to do the first oil change before winter, maybe in October at about 3,000 miles. I drive about 10,000/year and I change oil once a year when the weather is warmer with Mobil 1 extended performance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
With the so called oil delution on the1.5 engine..to be on the safe side I change my oil on the old schedule of every 3500 miles Oil is cheap considering the price of an engine rebuild

·
Super Moderator
2,320 Posts
Is there any drawback to doing the first oil change early?
My Accord 2.0 is almost two month old and it has 1,200 miles. I'd like to do the first oil change before winter, maybe in October at about 3,000 miles. I drive about 10,000/year and I change oil once a year when the weather is warmer with Mobil 1 extended performance.
I don't see how/why there would be any drawback from changing your oil early. I would recommend going by the maintenance minder vs once a year or every 10k miles. The maintenance minder may well not recommend changing within 10k (depending on driving style... highway/city... hard/easy accelerations.... etc.) but if it did I would change the oil when it said it was needed. There is more risk of damage to motor/turbo going past the minder's recommendation as the oil has past it's life cycle and not properly lubricating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts