2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
According to the Honda In-Car Tech Support person I spoke with this afternoon, the Rear Camera Software/Recall is not only supposed to fix issues with the Rear Camera but it is also supposed to fix the HUD/Compass/Turn by Turn issue many people are experiencing. This fix requires a visit to your local Honda dealer to complete the fix.

· Registered
2 Posts
Have had the HUD NAV issue for about 3 weeks now and read this forum's update on how to "fix" but not comfortable with the remove negative battery post solution. I use both Apple Carplay and the Honda Navigation System in the car. Yesterday when I was preparing to go shopping, started my car and no HUD appeared. My USB cable was still plugged in to the front USB Port (Apple USB to Lightning Connector) and I needed it for something else so I unplugged it. Coincidence or whatever - the HUD Compass popped up when I unplugged the USB Cable and has stayed up since. I normally keep the cable plugged in so I can quickly connect my IPhone when I use the Apple Carplay.

It may just be coincidence but other people who are experiencing may just try it to see if the same happens to you. The system could be hanging on a USB Interrupt Request that isn't processed correctly.

2018 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

· Registered
1 Posts
Fixed!!

According to the Honda In-Car Tech Support person I spoke with this afternoon, the Rear Camera Software/Recall is not only supposed to fix issues with the Rear Camera but it is also supposed to fix the HUD/Compass/Turn by Turn issue many people are experiencing. This fix requires a visit to your local Honda dealer to complete the fix.
dough you are correct I was Honda today for the Rear Camera Recall fix and the Tech printed the notice for me. See attached.

Attachments

· Registered
4 Posts
OK, here's a basic question: Does turn-by-turn navigation work in the heads-up-display (HUD) for Apple CarPlay?

I have an iPhone and it never used to work for me. Then, I connected my friend's Android phone and we tried using Google Maps and Waze to navigate. Turn-by-turn navigation showed up in the HUD for both of them. It is exactly similar to the directions we get when using the stock Garmin maps, which is the car's navigation system.

However, this never showed up when using Apple Maps with Carplay. I thought the latest release of iOS 12 would fix it as it now allows Google Maps and Waze in CarPlay. But, I was wrong. I updated my Google Maps App and started using them it in CarPlay. Still no turn-by-turn navigation in HUD. My conclusion is that it is Apple's restrictive policy that doesn't let any maps send these directions to HUD. The Waze CarPlay update isn't out yet, but I'll definitely try it and let you guys know. I'm fairly certain it won't work as well.

The Andriod phones seem to work just fine. Thoughts?

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
OK, here's a basic question: Does turn-by-turn navigation work in the heads-up-display (HUD) for Apple CarPlay?

<snip>

The Andriod phones seem to work just fine. Thoughts?
My thoughts are to start a separate thread. Don't hijack this one.

This thread is about restoring the HUD compass. It is not an Android vs iOS NAV discussion.

· Registered
94 Posts
Fuse #24

Hey all,
I noticed yesterday that my compass was missing again.
Went out this morning and pulled fuse #24 underhood and let it sit while I checked oil, tire pressure, etc.

I let it sit about 4 minutes this time and when I got back in the car and checked, the radio needed the power button pressed for 2 seconds and the clock was not set yet but it quickly set itself. That was a good indicator that the radio was reset.
I did not need to set my tone controls this time, but my compass is back again anyway.

I remember an issue with the lines for the backup camera in which I had to factory reset the radio. It appears that the backup camera/HUD compass recall might eliminate these specific issues. Until then, I feel confident that fuse #24 under the hood is a good quick fix and there's no need to take any battery cables loose which clears many more settings than just the radio.

I'd like to hear that someone else has had success with pulling fuse #24 under the hood! Everyone is so quiet! :wink:

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Hey all,
I noticed yesterday that my compass was missing again.
Went out this morning and pulled fuse #24 underhood and let it sit while I checked oil, tire pressure, etc.

I let it sit about 4 minutes this time and when I got back in the car and checked, the radio needed the power button pressed for 2 seconds and the clock was not set yet but it quickly set itself. That was a good indicator that the radio was reset.
I did not need to set my tone controls this time, but my compass is back again anyway.

I remember an issue with the lines for the backup camera in which I had to factory reset the radio. It appears that the backup camera/HUD compass recall might eliminate these specific issues. Until then, I feel confident that fuse #24 under the hood is a good quick fix and there's no need to take any battery cables loose which clears many more settings than just the radio.

I'd like to hear that someone else has had success with pulling fuse #24 under the hood! Everyone is so quiet! :wink:
Minor Correction: Disconnecting the negative battery cable does not clear any settings. This is explained in Post #1.

· Registered
94 Posts
It looks like we will have to disagree again Keyboard. I've disconnected the battery for 10+ minutes 3 times in 2.5 months for various reasons. (One was when I removed the dashboard so that might have had something to do with it.)

I did have to re-configure some of my settings after. Not everything. More than radio settings I thought.
I definitely had to set up my instrument cluster preferences again. (Order of items, tach in the background, etc.)

For other readers that might not know; The car arrives at the dealer from the factory with 2 fuses out of their sockets underhood. #24 for the radio and #27 for backup.

The idea is to remove the parasitic draw on the battery while the car is stored but still allow it to be driven after unloading to the service bay for prep.

Removing a battery cable is like removing all the fuses. There might very well be non-volitile memory for some of the settings, but in my experience, not all of them.

I'm not interested in trying it out to prove or disprove a point though. You probably aren't either. ?

Perhaps removing the cable for 5-10 minutes isn't enough time to lose certain settings in certain common scenarios. That sounds reasonable.

· Registered
1 Posts
Great news!
I got the chance to test out my very own "pull fuse 24 under the hood” suggestion and can confirm that after about 5 minutes of the fuse being out, reinserting the fuse, and pressing the power button on the radio since it was complaining about lost power; I have my HUD compass back after giving it over a day to be sure it wasn't coming back by itself.

Simple and painless. No Sparks or arcing. ?
@MSMV1, thank you for taking the time to research and test pulling fuse #24. I lost turn by turn navigation and compass in HUD two days ago after having the car for a couple of months and couldn't figure out how to fix it on my own. I don't know what triggered it but I use Android Auto every day. My car is a 2018 2.0T Touring with a production date of June 2018. Folks who take the time to share their knowledge and expertise are just simply awesome! Please note I did not lose my audio settings or trip data or anything else. Thank you again!

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
@MSMV1, First, let me say thanks for finding the fuse method for restoring the HUD compass. It's a great alternative to the negative battery cable method.

Second, I agree that that removing the negative battery cable for several minutes may cause you to lose your settings. However, a 10 second disconnect doesn't erase your settings. That's been proven by those who've done it on this board, as well as other Accord boards.

So far, there are 3 ways to restore the HUD compass:

1. Remove negative battery cable for 10 seconds (no loss of settings); or
  2. Remove fuse #24 for 5 minutes (no loss of setting); or
  3. Do a Factory Data Reset (lose all settings).

Finally, the rear camera software update/recall may render all of this unnecessary (hopefully).

· Registered
94 Posts
Ah-ha! Keyboard, I've been under the wrong impression for a while it seems. I apologize for this. ?
I had it in my head that the battery was to be disconnected for 10 minutes. Now this all makes a bit more sense! Thanks for the clarification. ?

· Registered
28 Posts
I called Honda In car Technology Support on 9/24 with this same issue and was told Honda just released a safety recall on this which also includes something related to the backup camera. Apparently it requires going to the dealer for some sort of fix. Not sure what the fix is they do but evidently not as simple as an over the air update. Anyway free dealer fix. Dealer should reference some service bulletin or similar documentation.

· Registered
242 Posts
I called Honda In car Technology Support on 9/24 with this same issue and was told Honda just released a safety recall on this which also includes something related to the backup camera. Apparently it requires going to the dealer for some sort of fix. Not sure what the fix is they do but evidently not as simple as an over the air update. Anyway free dealer fix. Dealer should reference some service bulletin or similar documentation.
How long did it take to do the update when you went in?

61 - 80 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.