2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Wondering if everyone's HVAC system is the same way. Whenever I use the "auto" temp feature, it seems to only operate the fan speed above 50%. I understand the car needs to get to temp, but it seems to blow 75 degree air (or whatever set temp) at the fans max speed rather than max heat at a lower fan speed. My drivetime is anywhere between 15-30 min and it doesn't quiet down much at all. I find myself keeping the car at HI temp and low fan speed rather than an auto temp at 75 or something. The biggest issue is annoyance (loud fan speed).

Anyone (everyone) else?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Hybrid Touring quiets down after about 8 minutes or so but even if I have it at 68 degrees some days it seems to get to about 76 degrees (this is with below freezing temps outside) by the time I get to work which is usually about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same here with my Hybrid Touring. It seems to take a while for the fan to settle down into a lower speed. That being said, it does seem to me that generally the fan speed seems higher than other cars I've owned. Also, I usually set my system on 68 too, but it seems warmer than that inside the vehicle. When I was using the A/C on warmer days, it seemed I had to keep the setting much lower than the actual temperature I wanted. I've not owned a vehicle this 'finicky' about the 'thermostat' settings.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There have been several threads on this subject on both 10th gen forums. I see two issues. On Auto, temp goes way up beyond expected when set at moderate level, say 72F. After about 20-30 minutes of driving the opposite occurs with temp going much lower than expected for the same 72F setting. Service managers, including mine, respond by saying the system is operating normally. Normal is very poor in my view. I find myself adjusting the temp far more than the non automatic system in my other car. A fix needs to happen. Software upgrade due??

·
Registered
59 Posts
It could also be poor locations of the temp sensors? I've only had the car a few weeks but I find "Auto" to be a little odd. I'm getting used to it but I end up just bypassing it and setting the vents/temp how I want anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same issue with the temperature regulation not using auto. I can have it set to 64 degrees and I notice I'm hot after a while. If I turn the temperature to Lo, let the air cool off, then bring it back up to 60-62 degrees, it seems to hold there. Makes me wonder if the valves that redirect the air from the heater core get stuck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think Sparky might be on to something. Did some thinking during my 4 mile walk with my dog. The fan might be a be part of this issue. Yes, it stays on setting number 4 far too long. The result is too much heat and noise. I have tried manually turning it back to the number 2 setting and it seems ok. I think I will try number 1 next. I am not certain if the automatic heat control is still functioning when I reduce the fan speed. The light goes out but I do know that pushing the a/c off button does not affect the automatic function but does turn off that light as well. Speculating that the high fan speed might be to help direct heat to the rear seat. We shouldn’t even be having this discussion. Honda needs to fix it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, I find myself manually setting the fan at a lower setting too. I'd agree some type of fix or software upgrade is needed. Golly my 1996 Mazda Millenia S had (to my mind) the perfect "mapping" for an automobile HVAC system. Even without the A/C on, it would increase the fan speed until it could no longer cool the car without the compressor running and the mode choice of air through all the vents and outlets was always right on the mark. If they could do this back in 1996, why not now with even greater technology???

·
Registered
26 Posts
There multiple reports of this issue. I sure hope Honda is listening. Tell your dealers... squeaky wheel gets the grease and hopefully Honda will come up with a TSB factory fix for the climate control problem in this generation.

·
Registered
163 Posts
One more thought. I believe this issue is ambient temperature sensitive. The colder the weather, the bigger temperature variation in the automatic system. This plus the need to drive at least 30 minutes make it difficult for the dealer to identify. Honda engineering needs to develop a fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting. I was just looking in the manual and found this on page 492 (2019 model)..
"ECON Button
While in ECON mode, the climate control system has
greater temperature fluctuations."

That may explain it for some of us (like me)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I posted this on another forum today, but I think it applies to this thread.

The latest dual zone automatic climate control setup for the 2018 model Accord is very frustrating for me, but I don't see much chatter about it on the internet.

Does anyone else have a very difficult time setting a temperature in this car and forgetting it, no matter the temperature outside the car? At this point, I wish I could pull out the system and replace it with a "dumb" panel with two sliders. One would be fan speed and the other would be red/blue temperature selection. With that setup, at least I wouldn't have to constantly fiddle with knobs trying to outsmart the automatic system and maintain a comfortable inside temperature.

I suspect that my problem is Honda's implementation of measuring the current temperature. By all my tests, I'd swear on a bible that my car always determines the temperature of air to pump out based on the reading from outside the car - even when Auto is not engaged.

Here's my scenario and I don't think it's too much to ask: I basically would like my car to feel like 70 degrees all the time That's it. Nothing crazy. However, here's what happens when I press Auto and dial in 70.

If it's 85 degrees outside and you're set to 70 on the panel, the system will blast cold air forever, until you're a popsicle. You have to dial the number progressively higher to get the system to back off the freeze ray. On the flip side, if it's 35 degrees outside, the system will blast heat forever, until you're BBQ.

Leaving the system dialed at 70 and Auto is completely uncomfortable and the car quickly becomes uninhabitable unless the temperature outside is right around 75. If you live in California and conditions are pretty much always like this, then I guess this works, but for me, where it was 80 on Saturday and 35 on Monday, leaving my car at any automatic setting will yield either a neverending furnace or icebox.

Here's the really bad part. After realizing the system was ignoring the extreme temperatures it was creating inside the cabin, I decided to give up on Auto and just dial in a temperature manually. Guess what? That doesn't work either. Today, it was 35 outside. I had the fan set to just one notch and the manual temperature set to around 68.* After the car got nice and warm inside, the hot air just kept on coming. If this was truly a manual setting, 68 degree air shouldn't be hot, but that's what the system kept pumping out. As beads of sweat started to form on my forehead, I began to move the manual temperature down. Even getting to manual temperature of 60, the system was still pumping out heat. With a truly manual system, I would have been fully into the "blue," but the Honda system didn't care.

I can only guess this was because it was set to 60 and was still measuring the difference between that and the outside temperature, which was still 35. I suspect this delta is what the system uses to determine whether to pump out cold or hot air. The problem is, no matter how much it heats the cabin, the outside temperature isn't going to change, so it just keeps on heating. At that point, I'm in a situation where Auto 60 is too hot and Manual 60 is too hot. If you crank the temperature even further down, it will revert to "Lo," but even that is no good because that just engages full on blizzard mode again. There's no way I can figure out to get the system to blow moderate temperature air, if the outside temperature is extreme.

As far as I can tell, there's no middle ground way to set this system and forget it if it's either very hot or cold outside the car. If you don't want either a furnace or an icebox, it requires constant attention throughout a car ride as the internal cabin temperature and outside conditions vary. At the extremes, you're forced to turn the system completely off and open a window to reverse the overcompensating automatic temperature brain. In short, the system seems over-engineered or at least poorly engineered. It thinks it's smarter than the driver. Problem is, it often completely fails at its primary job, which is to maintain a comfortable cabin temperature with minimal user interaction.

It's one of numerous grating issues with this car. There are a lot of positives, but there are a lot of nagging issues that grate on you if you drive the car every day. I don't think Honda did proper QC on this car before sending it to dealers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I posted this on another forum today, but I think it applies to this thread.

The latest dual zone automatic climate control setup for the 2018 model Accord is very frustrating for me, but I don't see much chatter about it on the internet.

Does anyone else have a very difficult time setting a temperature in this car and forgetting it, no matter the temperature outside the car? At this point, I wish I could pull out the system and replace it with a "dumb" panel with two sliders. One would be fan speed and the other would be red/blue temperature selection. With that setup, at least I wouldn't have to constantly fiddle with knobs trying to outsmart the automatic system and maintain a comfortable inside temperature.

I suspect that my problem is Honda's implementation of measuring the current temperature. By all my tests, I'd swear on a bible that my car always determines the temperature of air to pump out based on the reading from outside the car - even when Auto is not engaged.

Here's my scenario and I don't think it's too much to ask: I basically would like my car to feel like 70 degrees all the time That's it. Nothing crazy. However, here's what happens when I press Auto and dial in 70.

If it's 85 degrees outside and you're set to 70 on the panel, the system will blast cold air forever, until you're a popsicle. You have to dial the number progressively higher to get the system to back off the freeze ray. On the flip side, if it's 35 degrees outside, the system will blast heat forever, until you're BBQ.

Leaving the system dialed at 70 and Auto is completely uncomfortable and the car quickly becomes uninhabitable unless the temperature outside is right around 75. If you live in California and conditions are pretty much always like this, then I guess this works, but for me, where it was 80 on Saturday and 35 on Monday, leaving my car at any automatic setting will yield either a neverending furnace or icebox.

Here's the really bad part. After realizing the system was ignoring the extreme temperatures it was creating inside the cabin, I decided to give up on Auto and just dial in a temperature manually. Guess what? That doesn't work either. Today, it was 35 outside. I had the fan set to just one notch and the manual temperature set to around 68.* After the car got nice and warm inside, the hot air just kept on coming. If this was truly a manual setting, 68 degree air shouldn't be hot, but that's what the system kept pumping out. As beads of sweat started to form on my forehead, I began to move the manual temperature down. Even getting to manual temperature of 60, the system was still pumping out heat. With a truly manual system, I would have been fully into the "blue," but the Honda system didn't care.

I can only guess this was because it was set to 60 and was still measuring the difference between that and the outside temperature, which was still 35. I suspect this delta is what the system uses to determine whether to pump out cold or hot air. The problem is, no matter how much it heats the cabin, the outside temperature isn't going to change, so it just keeps on heating. At that point, I'm in a situation where Auto 60 is too hot and Manual 60 is too hot. If you crank the temperature even further down, it will revert to "Lo," but even that is no good because that just engages full on blizzard mode again. There's no way I can figure out to get the system to blow moderate temperature air, if the outside temperature is extreme.

As far as I can tell, there's no middle ground way to set this system and forget it if it's either very hot or cold outside the car. If you don't want either a furnace or an icebox, it requires constant attention throughout a car ride as the internal cabin temperature and outside conditions vary. At the extremes, you're forced to turn the system completely off and open a window to reverse the overcompensating automatic temperature brain. In short, the system seems over-engineered or at least poorly engineered. It thinks it's smarter than the driver. Problem is, it often completely fails at its primary job, which is to maintain a comfortable cabin temperature with minimal user interaction.

It's one of numerous grating issues with this car. There are a lot of positives, but there are a lot of nagging issues that grate on you if you drive the car every day. I don't think Honda did proper QC on this car before sending it to dealers.
Agree with all your observations. Honda needs to fix this crazy system. The system does have one thing in common with all automatic climate systems. They work all the time no matter what the system settings are. The only exception is that punching the a/c off button will not allow the compressor to operate=no air conditioning. There are a bunch of threads on both forums regarding this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree with all your observations. Honda needs to fix this crazy system. The system does have one thing in common with all automatic climate systems. They work all the time no matter what the system settings are. The only exception is that punching the a/c off button will not allow the compressor to operate=no air conditioning. There are a bunch of threads on both forums regarding this issue.
I would guess it could easily be adjusted with tweaks to the software, but I also think it would fall really low on the list of things they want to tweak on this car.

As a bonus complaint, I also wanted to add this observation about the user unfriendliness of the climate control. Say it's freezing outside. You get in the cold car, after leaving it set to 70 / Auto the night before. You start the engine. Guess what happens? The system immediately cranks the blower to the maximum airflow, even though it's going to take several minutes to begin warming the air. That's right, unless you hit the off button, you're going to be blasted by full power freezing air until the car heats up.

Much older cars with automatic climate control know not to blow freezing air at the driver when warm air is selected. They wait until they can begin to actually heat the cabin before kicking in the wind tunnel.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would guess it could easily be adjusted with tweaks to the software, but I also think it would fall really low on the list of things they want to tweak on this car.

As a bonus complaint, I also wanted to add this observation about the user unfriendliness of the climate control. Say it's freezing outside. You get in the cold car, after leaving it set to 70 / Auto the night before. You start the engine. Guess what happens? The system immediately cranks the blower to the maximum airflow, even though it's going to take several minutes to begin warming the air. That's right, unless you hit the off button, you're going to be blasted by full power freezing air until the car heats up.

Much older cars with automatic climate control know not to blow freezing air at the driver when warm air is selected. They wait until they can begin to actually heat the cabin before kicking in the wind tunnel.
Have you manually changed the fan speed? In my experience this will negate the cold start delay you are referring to. In my car, this is about the only function that works as it should in the AUTO climate setting. Not letting Honda odd the hook though. They need to fix this system. My first Accord with automatic control was a 2004. Worked way better than my 2018.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do that sometimes. Usually I just hit the off button in disgust. Who needs any level of frozen air blowing at your face when it's already cold in the car? :smile:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Totally agree with the need for American Honda to fix the software for HVAC in the 2018+ Accord. It seems everyone has the same issues and a software fix should do the trick. Economy mode seems to have an impact but such a simple nagging problem should be easily solved with an update. They’ve got bigger things to worry about - this should be an easy one. All your dealers and American Honda to request a fix!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Am I crazy, or has this issue been mitigated with a software update? Suddenly, I'm having to monitor the Auto setting far less than before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my ac in my 2019 sport takes forever for the compresser to come on to cool when its hot. its like computer telling it not to come on till something in engine says it can. usually about 5 minutes running.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts