2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
You are correct. It does bring up the bars faster. And I dont need to "drive fast" in sport mode to see it increase, just drive normally.
I drove my 15 minute back road path and went from 46 mpg to 57 mpg (this is 25-35 mph roads)
Thanks for the tip. I am going to keep doing this and see it I remain in the 50's

No... just a new method for drive to achieve better MPG
If battery is low, go into SPORT MODE and hit left paddle to increase wheel regenerators (or whatever its called) to 4
Drive normally, battery will charge up pretty quick
When battery gets 80% or higher, click back into ECON mode
Since there is plenty of battery, the engine isn't needed as much

If you start up your vehicle and the battery is low and you keep it in ECON, it will favor the engine a tad more until you do enough "hybrid maneuvering" for the battery to charge up. Sport mode speeds up that process it appears

I am sure everyone has their ways of getting better MPGs.

41 MPG ............. That is all my 2 month old Hybrid Accord is getting. And I live in a un-congested area with level roads. In town, getting 39-42 mpg. On Interstate highways at 70 mph, getting 38-40 mpg. My average is consistently 41 mpg. AND, I always confirm the car's readout of mpg with the old fashion way of of checking mileage by filling up fuel tank. I am 70 yrs. old so I am not a lead foot by any means.

PLUS, if I select electric only mode when the battery gauge shows full charge, and drive at only 25 mph, the car will only go 4/10 of a mile before the battery is dead and switches to gas engine.

What MPG are you other Hybrid owners getting and how long can you drive on battery only ???

Honda seems like they are not concerned about my MPG complaint. So I will probably end up in court.

Thank you.
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm driving like a granny and I'm only able to get 35-37 MPG mixed driving. I'm not flooring it and drive pretty conservative. I only have 800 miles on the car, but this seems abnormal as everyone is getting at least low 40s.

This is what "currently" works for me.

#1 When I pull out of drive way, I go into SPORT MODE and set my head unit to POWER FLOW (where it shows if power is from battery and/or engine)
#2 Tap left paddle 4 times to set regen wheels. Be careful because when you let off gas, you slow down fast. A car behind you wont see brake lights.
#3 Drive normally until you see the battery delivering power to wheels. This should be about 80% battery capacity. For me, from 20% mark (2 dashes from bottom) to 80% is about 1 mile of driving, more or less
#4 Click on ECON mode so you get green leaf on dashboard

..drive normally
..use left paddle with brakes to regen batteries coming to stop lights/signs
..if you get to 20% battery, go to #2
..if you have plenty of battery but your engine is driving the wheels, accelerate a bit more then lay off the gas until EV kicks in.

BE AWARE-
Running A/C eats up battery fast - especially if you set it to LOW
Check tire pressure - mine (from dealership) is at 44 psi which seems high to me but if it was low, I wouldnt coast as long I guess
Are you travelling with "big people" or a family in it? The weight also depletes battery too

When I drive "the long way" thru neighborhoods to the store (25-30 mph with a couple of short 45 mph spots), my mpg on the powerflow with show 51 with the highest of being 57 (once). I charge up battery like above then click EV button.
If I am on busy roads (45 mph with lights) and depending on distance, I get 41-48 mpg. It seems the longer the distance, the higher the mpg.
I drive and keep up with traffic, but if no one is around, I accelerate from a stop fairly slowly

thanks atari800. I saw your earlier post about using Sport mode. I'll give that a try. In the meantime, I have been driving very conservatively in addition to using the paddle shifters to get more regenerative braking.

I said 8 miles in the video but it was like 4
I sped up the video half way through the video as I was babbling about nothing
But you can see I toggled between sport mode and econ mode during the trip

Sorry for the quality because I was driving 1 handed to video this

This is what I got today on my way home from work to the grocery store. City and freeway (65mph using ACC). I didn’t use AC and it was warm but I wanted to see what I could get. I reset trip A from work. I live in St. Augustine Florida. I think if it was a longer drive, I probably could get better MPG even in rush hour traffic during city driving.

Attachments

Nice
I set my AC to 10-15 cooler than outside (click on the link about my tint in signature to see why) so I am comfortable
I am in Orlando Fl

I was thinking about making a HYBRID DRIVING TIPS thread here - to help people get best milage
Things that I do are:
When leaving home, put it in performance mode until I get 50%+ battery charge. Perf mode seems to charge battery up faster as the engine is running all of the time. Then I put into ECON mode.
At red lights, I click on Perf mode. The engine will kick on for a little while and charge battery up to just over 50% and cut off. So when traffic is moving, and I get to cruising speed, I can click on EV mode enjoy the ride
When coming up to a red light, slightly hold brake down (to make brake lights come on) and use left paddle to slow vehicle down as it is charging the battery faster this way
When pulling into a 30 mph or slower neighborhood or a parking lot, turn on EV mode
Avoid keeping AC on LOW as this always causes a strain on battery. Use what is comfortable
Take "SLOW WAY" to local destinations. You cant get much further on EV mode here
Remember, this is a HYBRID not a full ELECTRIC vehicle. EV is used to keep inertia going forward. It sucks a lot of battery when trying to accelerate fast in EV mode. You *might* get 1 mile of driving doing this.
Always watch your POWER FLOW gauges. The gauge on the dash that has the little grey meter form 0-99, be aware of this. 25% mark (favoring left) is telling you "currently getting 22.5 mpg", half way is 45 mpg, 99 you are running on battery. This will make you aware of how you drive.

and so on

I’m on my 3rd tank but this time with 89 ethanol free gas. I reset the trip meter after fill up. Temperature has been 60’s in the am to high 80’s in the afternoon and 70’s in the evenings here in FL. It should get better as my fuel level goes down due to reduced weight. I’ll report back before I fill up again if I remember.

Attachments

For me it is constantly changing.

When it is warm and nice I can do 4.3 l/100km

Yesterday it was cold, 5C and raining a lot. My best was 6.2 for a 250km trip

On a short 5 km trip to work, I am always between 8 and 9l/100km :(

My 2015 was better than this.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.