2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hybrid, which is about a week old, came from the dealer with 40psi all around. I’m averaging about 48 mpg and I’m a little obsessive about my mileage so I’m inclined to leave it. The ride and handling feel fine to me but I’m wondering if there might be an issue that I haven’t considered. I’m sure Honda’s recommendation (33 PSI) is not arbitrary and I imagine the EPA tests cars at the recommended PSI, so I would have expected Honda to go to the high side with this.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Dealer had 32 PSI @ all 4 Corners

Running 34.5 in Front and 33.5 Rear mostly at Netting around 30-31 in cool weather & 32 Mpg warmer summer , but If on Road Trip getting 36.5 - 37 Mpg
That was on Oil that had 6000 miles on it and Filter had 8K all just got changed ~ so ~ Mid Grade Highway 75 Mph 37 Mpg , but If we stop and go into Traffic etc.
will get down to 35 Mpg ..

Yeah Run those Tire Pressure Higher - No one has Chimed in about the Lighter Wheels they are Running ~ :nerd:

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I chose 36 all around for my number. I don't think there's anything wrong with running higher as long as it's not over the limit on the sidewall of the tire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My hybrid, which is about a week old, came from the dealer with 40psi all around. I’m averaging about 48 mpg and I’m a little obsessive about my mileage so I’m inclined to leave it.
My hybrid (an '18, so it's rated at 47) gets 47 on 32 psi all around.
I’m wondering if there might be an issue that I haven’t considered.
I chose 36 all around for my number. I don't think there's anything wrong with running higher as long as it's not over the limit on the sidewall of the tire.
You mean other than a rougher ride (whether or not you are satisfied with it, it is rougher), poorer handling, and increased tire wear? All for an insignificant, if it even exists, increase in mileage?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My hybrid (an '18, so it's rated at 47) gets 47 on 32 psi all around.

You mean other than a rougher ride (whether or not you are satisfied with it, it is rougher), poorer handling, and increased tire wear? All for an insignificant, if it even exists, increase in mileage?
33PSI is the correct recommended tire pressure for your car, not 32.

·
Registered
44 Posts
33PSI is the correct recommended tire pressure for your car, not 32.
So it is. Wonder when my memory slipped by 1 PSI? I suppose its a good thing I fill them to just above the mark.

Regardless, I get at least the advertised mileage. My experience is that the trip meter reads about 1.5 to 2 mpg low: The last four weekly trips are 51.1, 47.7, 47.23, and 47.2 mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So it is. Wonder when my memory slipped by 1 PSI? I suppose its a good thing I fill them to just above the mark.

Regardless, I get at least the advertised mileage. My experience is that the trip meter reads about 1.5 to 2 mpg low: The last four weekly trips are 51.1, 47.7, 47.23, and 47.2 mpg.
I run at 40psi. I only have 3k miles on my Accord Hybrid, but had 250K on my prior Civic Hybrid.
My experience with the Civic Hybrid was significantly better gas mileage when running 40psi vs. 33psi (1-2 mpg) and decent tire wear (no observed difference).
Hard to say if there was any impact on handling given the lack of HP in the car (though my experience with sports cars, a little more psi/stiffer sidewalls actually improves handling - probably not a factor on these cars).
Totally agree, 40psi will ride harsher than 33psi.

I am intrigued by the comment about the trip meter showing 1.5 to 2 mpg low.
My Accord is consistently overstating gas mileage by 1.5mpg. Maybe the computer is incorrectly calibrated?

BTW: averaging 45-48 actual MPG, expecting it to get better as the temperature warms up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I run at 40psi. ... I am intrigued by the comment about the trip meter showing 1.5 to 2 mpg low.
My Accord is consistently overstating gas mileage by 1.5mpg.
Maybe the diameter of your tires is 3% to 4% more than the computer expects it to be? Causing your odometer and speedometer to read 3% top 4% too low, resulting in mpg estimates that are 3% to 4% low?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just had my first oil change and tire rotation I asked the service manager to put 38-40psi in my tires he said the tpms system starts acting up if the tires are outside of their programmed range. Now this seemed odd to me considering the type of tpms system on these cars, but he was speaking from first hand experience with the vehicle and i have dealt with that issue on another vehicle here in Vegas heat. When it gets hotter the tires would throw and overinflated light on the other car I had problems with and I didn't want to deal with that. Typically I would run my tires a couple psi higher for better wear and fuel economy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just had my first oil change and tire rotation I asked the service manager to put 38-40psi in my tires he said the tpms system starts acting up if the tires are outside of their programmed range. Now this seemed odd to me considering the type of tpms system on these cars, but he was speaking from first hand experience with the vehicle and i have dealt with that issue on another vehicle here in Vegas heat. When it gets hotter the tires would throw and overinflated light on the other car I had problems with and I didn't want to deal with that. Typically I would run my tires a couple psi higher for better wear and fuel economy.
If that’s true on the accord with the current TPMS system where you calibrate the system after changing the pressure wouldn’t it still be true at a lower PSI? I mean the tires are still going to heat up at the lower PSI too?

·
Registered
304 Posts
If that’s true on the accord with the current TPMS system where you calibrate the system after changing the pressure wouldn’t it still be true at a lower PSI? I mean the tires are still going to heat up at the lower PSI too?
He made it sound like the system has a preset level where the tires should be and any variance outside the programmed range would set a light off. I have had a car with a system like this and he was very confident in his answer. Plus that's his job so even though it seemed odd to me based on my knowledge of how the system works on this car, I did not question it. Maybe that's what happens when you don't recalibrate it after you add air? I will mess with the pressure once I get my new wheels and see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m running 55 psi and getting 53.8 mpg on average. However, I do stay off of washboard and otherwise rough roads that would hella vibrate the dashboard loose along with all the computers and electronic components in the vehicle. If I lived someplace with poorly built and or maintained roads, then I would lower my tire pressure to 50 psi without much concern. If I had to take my Accord out on the sand to the beach, I would lower the pressure to 20 psi, so I don’t get stuck.

Don’t be afraid to adjust your tire pressure as needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts