2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about trying to convince my parents to get me a 2018 Accord as my first car. I'm very excited to finally get to drive around and be able to play my own music in something. I really care about quality with audio. It doesn't have to be perfect, but as long it sounds clear and balanced enough, I'm all for it. I've heard that not just the 2018 Accords, but the Honda Sedans, in general, don't have very good sound systems. I don't know if people are just saying that cause they think they're well educated on what a good sound system sounds like or if they actually know what they're talking about. I'm a huge music listener so I don't really like it when a speaker or headphone sounds thin and tin-like. Can someone help me?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm thinking about trying to convince my parents to get me a 2018 Accord as my first car. I'm very excited to finally get to drive around and be able to play my own music in something. I really care about quality with audio. It doesn't have to be perfect, but as long it sounds clear and balanced enough, I'm all for it. I've heard that not just the 2018 Accords, but the Honda Sedans, in general, don't have very good sound systems. I don't know if people are just saying that cause they think they're well educated on what a good sound system sounds like or if they actually know what they're talking about. I'm a huge music listener so I don't really like it when a speaker or headphone sounds thin and tin-like. Can someone help me?
It’s really not THAT bad. Some cars I’ve been in have had much louder systems, some have not. The audio system is very clear and you will not be disappointed. Again, it could be louder and more rich but it’s not too bad. It’s my second car.

·
Super Moderator
2,479 Posts
It’s really not THAT bad. Some cars I’ve been in have had much louder systems, some have not. The audio system is very clear and you will not be disappointed. Again, it could be louder and more rich but it’s not too bad. It’s my second car.
I don't think it's THAT bad, but then again, my hearing is kinda crappy these days from life and work and:

:D
Agree w/both the above... are there better, yes... is the Accord's the worst I've heard, no. As @Samuelx mentioned my hearing is kinda crappy too. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll second and third those emotions. I don't have the best of hearing (too many rock concerts and Top Fuel and Funny Car drag racing LOL). With that said, and based on the fact that a long long time ago, my first car came equipped with an AM radio and one speaker, the sound system works for me. And, music is very very big part of my life. 2018 Accord as your potential first car.....you are one lucky individual. Happy hunting and good luck with whatever vehicle you choose. But, just a little advice, the sound system in a vehicle is not the barometer to utilize when deciding on a car. Lastly, when you test drive it, don't even turn on the radio, listen to the car and how it runs. You can always mess with the sound system while the car is parked.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Go into every car forum and magically every single one has the worst stereo and tires from the factory. Never fails. I was first chair orchestra in HS and could have taken scholarship for it if I wanted to pursue it in college so my ears are pretty decent. Even the base 4 speaker system in the hybrid really isn't that bad especially after making hidden adjustments.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My biggest beef with the sound system is the rear deck rattle. With the upgraded sound system, Honda has the sub (I think a pretty small one) mounted in the rear deck. With any decent bass happening, there is buzzing/rattling from the rear deck. It's been like that since I first got it. No modifications. I took it in to the dealer and they basically said "IDK" about it. I've seen people talk about putting foam or something else in various places to stop it.
Any time I go in back to try and locate the rattle, I can't really seem to pin it down. Seems more of a manufacturing/design issue.
Other than that, no issues with the system. I mirror what others said, there are definitely better systems out there, definitely worse systems out there. But stock systems have come a long way from what they were in the 90s/00s.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My biggest beef with the sound system is the rear deck rattle. With the upgraded sound system, Honda has the sub (I think a pretty small one) mounted in the rear deck. With any decent bass happening, there is buzzing/rattling from the rear deck. It's been like that since I first got it. No modifications. I took it in to the dealer and they basically said "IDK" about it. I've seen people talk about putting foam or something else in various places to stop it.
Any time I go in back to try and locate the rattle, I can't really seem to pin it down. Seems more of a manufacturing/design issue.
Other than that, no issues with the system. I mirror what others said, there are definitely better systems out there, definitely worse systems out there. But stock systems have come a long way from what they were in the 90s/00s.
There's a recall for the rattle. They'll install something that reduces it quite a bit, but I don't think it got rid of it. Take it to the dealership and mention the rattle in the back deck. They took care of mine the same time they did the system update for the backup camera recall.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
375 Posts
I mirror what others said, there are definitely better systems out there, definitely worse systems out there. But stock systems have come a long way from what they were in the 90s/00s.
My daily driver before this 10th gen was an 03 Honda Pilot EXL and the only thing I ever did with that was to swap out the speakers with Clarions (buddy used to work for them) and THAT was OK enough for me so I really didn't have high expectations for the Accord, which as it turns out sounds WAY nicer than the Pilot used to - lol.

For the vast majority of my music listening, the music is usually secondary (during some other activity) and I normally wouldn't want to tune everything else out. If I really want to enjoy music for the music, I would want to be at home sitting still/lounging with quiet all around and maybe/probably listening through headphones... That being said, I get why people would want to maximize their enjoyment/experience while driving their cars and do appreciate the sweet systems people have installed! Now THAT being said, if you listen to cRAP music (and similar), PLEASE keep it inside your own car! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depends what trim package. The touring has a factory sub and sounds pretty good, It can handle being pretty loud without distortion

·
Registered
29 Posts
Depends what trim package. The touring has a factory sub and sounds pretty good, It can handle being pretty loud without distortion
This. The Touring is noticeably better than the other trims. It's really not bad IMO, and I came from a semi-decent Alpine Type-S system w a 10" infinity sub I had built in my 8th gen coupe.
Some aftermarket replacement speakers with a high sensitivity would go a long way I believe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No not that bad at all unless you want to rattle your windows or keep the neighbors awake.
Where these people come up with some of this eludes me. ITS A CAR STEREO PEOPLE not a concert hall!!
Go to the settings and adjust the sound to your preferences and I think you will be satisfied.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thought I may chime in here. I have a 2.0 Touring. When I listen to Sirius the sound is so, so. FM appears to improve somewhat and IPOD and music saved on a thumb drive at high bit rate sound really good. So to answer this question, it really depends on the music source. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whats the upgraded sound system?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It’s not bad at all. It’s just not great. One h of the reasons I went the exl was the supposed upgraded sound system. Not impressed. But that feature was low on my list and I’m very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thought I may chime in here. I have a 2.0 Touring. When I listen to Sirius the sound is so, so. FM appears to improve somewhat and IPOD and music saved on a thumb drive at high bit rate sound really good. So to answer this question, it really depends on the music source. Hope this helps.
I agree that the sound depends on the input to the car. FM Radio < Bluetooth Audio < USB plugged into phone for Android Auto. I haven't tried a USB thumb drive for songs, since literally all my music/podcasts etc are uploaded to the cloud and streamed to my phone (Google Play Music... which is now being shuttled to YouTube Music.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts