2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Sport 2.0 10 speed does a poor job of maintaining temp in both heat and a/c modes. I find myself adjusting the temp from 71 to 77 degrees to maintain comfort. This is my 3rd Accord with auto climate control. They all operate in the same manner, but with different results. I have noticed that the temp adjustments seem to be influenced more by the dash top solar sensor than either previous Accords. A small piece of black tape might modify that, but I haven’t tried that yet.

Interestingly, I am adjusting the temp knob in my ‘18 Accord with auto climate control far more frequently than the temp knob in my ‘15 VW GTI with manual climate control. Just a small glitch in an otherwise perfect car so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,923 Posts
Do you have the "Econ" mode on or off? If on try turning it off and see if that makes a difference. I discovered that using "Auto" mode for climate control and having the car in "Econ" mode it constantly stayed in "recirculate" and read in the manual (and posted about it in another thread) that "Econ" mode will affect the performance of the climate control.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the "Econ" mode on or off? If on try turning it off and see if that makes a difference. I discovered that using "Auto" mode for climate control and having the car in "Econ" mode it constantly stayed in "recirculate" and read in the manual (and posted about it in another thread) that "Econ" mode will affect the performance of the climate control.
I never use the Econ mode, poor throttle response. In my car at least, the a/c is in recirculate anytime the climate control is on automatic. That is another issue addressed here previously. Obviously Honda sees better mpg in this mode since the system is cooling already cooled air from the cabin. That plan seems to work. The gas mileage is great and I cannot see any difference a/c on or off. I believe my issue is related to the solar sensor on the top of the dash. Will ask the service department to weigh-in. I just wonder if others have seen my issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,923 Posts
I never use the Econ mode, snip....
Ok, was just a thought as I didn't realize that Econ mode could be off... at first thought it was either Econ On, or Sport On, didn't realize if you hit either of those buttons while that feature was enabled it would turn it/them off. Good luck figuring out what is the cause and getting it corrected.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same here

I have the same problem whether it's in Econ, Regular, or Sport mode. That seems to make no difference. Settings for comfort vary from 66 degrees up to 74. Very inconsistent. . . and frustrating. With all the technology in this car, you'd think this one minor thing would be an easy solution. This is a problem with both our 2018 Accord Hybrid Tourings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
New to the forum, found it while searching for issues with the 2018 Accord climate control. I too am experiencing issues (2018 Touring 2.0L). Car heats up just fine, but after 30 minutes or so, starts blowing cold air out of the side window defrost vents on the top of the dash. I've measured the temp coming out of the vents with an infrared thermometer; with the cabin temp set at 72-74 (in auto mode) the air coming out of those vents is in the high 50's, whereas the other vents are mid 70's to 80's. Result is the top of the legs and feet start to feel chilly. Manually selecting the combined dash and footwell vent distribution seems to help, as the window defrost vents now blow warmer air. Took the wife on a trip recently and she commented her feet and legs were cold without me having first told her about the problem.

Took the car to the dealer, and they tested the temps against an identical model off the lot. Said the readings from both vehicles were within 10%, which is considered normal. From what I saw of the readings, which the service rep was not crazy about showing me, the temps were lower on my car compared to the one from the lot. The rep followed up with Honda's tech support line - they want him to cold soak the car overnight and then run the test again against another vehicle. This sounds like a lot of nonsense to me, as it has nothing to do with whether the car sat overnight at all; it always occurs 30-45 minutes into a drive when it's cold outside. The rep also said I could do nothing and wait for more people to complain to Honda, at which time they might take it more seriously.

Anyways, that's my story so far. I noticed the last post was November. Anyone else have any more info/progress to share on their issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
New to the forum, found it while searching for issues with the 2018 Accord climate control. I too am experiencing issues (2018 Touring 2.0L). Car heats up just fine, but after 30 minutes or so, starts blowing cold air out of the side window defrost vents on the top of the dash. I've measured the temp coming out of the vents with an infrared thermometer; with the cabin temp set at 72-74 (in auto mode) the air coming out of those vents is in the high 50's, whereas the other vents are mid 70's to 80's. Result is the top of the legs and feet start to feel chilly. Manually selecting the combined dash and footwell vent distribution seems to help, as the window defrost vents now blow warmer air. Took the wife on a trip recently and she commented her feet and legs were cold without me having first told her about the problem.

Took the car to the dealer, and they tested the temps against an identical model off the lot. Said the readings from both vehicles were within 10%, which is considered normal. From what I saw of the readings, which the service rep was not crazy about showing me, the temps were lower on my car compared to the one from the lot. The rep followed up with Honda's tech support line - they want him to cold soak the car overnight and then run the test again against another vehicle. This sounds like a lot of nonsense to me, as it has nothing to do with whether the car sat overnight at all; it always occurs 30-45 minutes into a drive when it's cold outside. The rep also said I could do nothing and wait for more people to complain to Honda, at which time they might take it more seriously.

Anyways, that's my story so far. I noticed the last post was November. Anyone else have any more info/progress to share on their issue? Thanks.
It would seem to me that air from defroster vents might be cool since the AC compressor is used? I am also wondering why a service guy would not share everything as its your can not Honda's car. To me this sounds like a sensor issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It would seem to me that air from defroster vents might be cool since the AC compressor is used? I am also wondering why a service guy would not share everything as its your can not Honda's car. To me this sounds like a sensor issue.
I would tend to agree with you on the sensor issue, but the dealer’s position so far is there’s nothing wrong. Wondering if anyone else has had their climate control issues satisfactorily resolved and if so what the solution was. If I get any further info, will report back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Auto climate control in my wife's 2013 Accord (9th gen) just stinks and has never worked right. Unless we set it manually to 80 or higher, the cabin doesn't get warm.

Now I am noticing on my 2018 Sport 2.0 that the auto climate also doesn't work right either. I am either cold or too warm. I go to manual mode and keep adjusting it as the temp inside the car seems to keep changing, and I can't get it to hold a constant 72 deg. where I feel comfortable. I have not dived into it yet to see if any vents are blowing cold air.
So I think a lot of the issues from the previous generation Accord have carried over to the 10th gen.

I also read somewhere where others were complaining of the auto climate functionality with the 10th gen. I can't remember where.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2019 EX Hybrid and I have the same issue with the side vents blowing cold air after a bit. I do not use the climate control, but control manually instead. If I put it to blow air out the vents, then it blows out the proper temperature. But, if I have it on heat (lower), it will blow the cold air after awhile. Not sure if it is a programming issue.
Econ, Sport, or normal mode does not seem to make a difference.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree with all these comments. I am guessing that most are not aware of the operation of the system with the auto climate turned “off”. It is not off, inconsistency and all. The only thing you do be turning off auto climate is removing the a/c compressor from the equation. It will still do whatever it does on the heat side. That would be OK if it did actually make and hold the temp you select, a/c or heat. To be fair, most climate control systems work in this manner. It is just the ‘18 Accord, that I have noticed this poor temp control.

I believe it has something to do with the climate control sensor on top the dash on the passenger side. Have you noticed the dramatic effect on the interior temp, winter or summer on a sunny day, when making a 90 degree turn into the sun? The temp drops instantly. Or, just have your passenger hold their hand over this sensor while driving into the sun. The results is the same. I believe it to be overreacting. I am going to try a piece of black tape over the sensor as an experiment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2019 EX Hybrid and I have the same issue with the side vents blowing cold air after a bit. I do not use the climate control, but control manually instead. If I put it to blow air out the vents, then it blows out the proper temperature. But, if I have it on heat (lower), it will blow the cold air after awhile. Not sure if it is a programming issue.
Econ, Sport, or normal mode does not seem to make a difference.
Thanks for that; forgot to mention in my original post that it doesn’t matter whether my car is in Econ, Normal, or Sport either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agree with all these comments. I am guessing that most are not aware of the operation of the system with the auto climate turned “off”. It is not off, inconsistency and all. The only thing you do be turning off auto climate is removing the a/c compressor from the equation. It will still do whatever it does on the heat side. That would be OK if it did actually make and hold the temp you select, a/c or heat. To be fair, most climate control systems work in this manner. It is just the ‘18 Accord, that I have noticed this poor temp control.

I believe it has something to do with the climate control sensor on top the dash on the passenger side. Have you noticed the dramatic effect on the interior temp, winter or summer on a sunny day, when making a 90 degree turn into the sun? The temp drops instantly. Or, just have your passenger hold their hand over this sensor while driving into the sun. The results is the same. I believe it to be overreacting. I am going to try a piece of black tape over the sensor as an experiment.
Let us know how it works out. Not sure how a piece of black tape is going to help since the sensor is black, but I’m curious.... :wink:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let us know how it works out. Not sure how a piece of black tape is going to help since the sensor is black, but I’m curious.... :wink:
Good point. My thought after writing as well. Actually put some white tape on it. Might be a good day to test. The sun is shining here in SW Ohio.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the sun or the sensor on top of the dash, because my '19 2.0 blew cold air at night 2-3 times now after driving for a while. I 've only had the car 10 days. I set the temp usually between 71 and 73 and after 20-25 min. cold air comes out. I have to adjust it to 78-80 to get the heat back, but then after a few min. it gets too hot and I have to really lower it again because even back at 70 it's blowing hot air like it's set for 80. It just can't control the temp. or cannot sense what the temp is in the car. So I have to go down into the 60's for the car to feel comfortable again, and back & forth we go from hot to cold, cold to hot.

It's only about the first 25 min. of the drive that the heat works near perfectly. After that a sensor or relay switch or something gets overheated or malfunctions, and then it becomes a guessing game and you have to go back & forth with the temp. setting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the sun or the sensor on top of the dash, because my '19 2.0 blew cold air at night 2-3 times now after driving for a while. I 've only had the car 10 days. I set the temp usually between 71 and 73 and after 20-25 min. cold air comes out. I have to adjust it to 78-80 to get the heat back, but then after a few min. it gets too hot and I have to really lower it again because even back at 70 it's blowing hot air like it's set for 80. It just can't control the temp. or cannot sense what the temp is in the car. So I have to go down into the 60's for the car to feel comfortable again, and back & forth we go from hot to cold, cold to hot.

It's only about the first 25 min. of the drive that the heat works near perfectly. After that a sensor or relay switch or something gets overheated or malfunctions, and then it becomes a guessing game and you have to go back & forth with the temp. setting.
Perhaps then the heating element is overheating and this is the systems way of cooling it down. Regardless, the climate control should work exactly as advertised.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Pretty much what I've experienced, although not as extreme as you describe it. Have you tried manually switching the air distribution to dash and foot vents? That seems to help the situation in my case.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I think you are correct. Just remembered an occasion at night with the same result as in the daytime. I will try to shift the heat mode to the floor vents. Might have to change this again for the a/c mode. I believe auto climate systems should function like my home. Set and forget. My VW’s and Porsche’s operated in this manner.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts