2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pulled this from the other forum, i will look in to it this weekend. User claims it definitely made a difference though

So I wanted to follow up with what I found.

If you pull down the driver’s side knee panel, there’s a roughly 1” clear tube that I found disconnected. You have to look up and in to see it. This tube, when connected, allows air to be drawn across the HVAC cabin temp sensor near the start switch. If this tube is disconnected, no air will flow across the temp sensor and may be the cause of some folks’ cars being extremely hot and having to manually adjust temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So in taking the picture, I realized you don’t have to remove the panel to see if the HVAC tube is disconnected.

You just need to get under the drivers dash and look up and in. It’s basically right above the gas pedal and just a little bit inward from that.

I’m any event, no tools are needed to remove the knee panel; you just have to pull down and towards the back of the car. It’s the same panel with the Safety Assist button and traction control button. That being said if you remove it; careful of this connector. So once the panel is released from the clips, disconnect that connector.

Picture of said panel:

Picture of HVAC tube disconnected with panel removed:

Picture of what tube would look like connected if you left panel on:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,658 Posts
Pulled this from the other forum, i will look in to it this weekend. User claims it definitely made a difference though
Interesting... let us know what you find and if it corrects the issue. Would be great if this was the fix... makes you wonder if this was something forgot during the assembly of the car or something that got pulled a loose during the assembly. Either way if this is the fix Honda should be made aware and make sure this part gets/stays connected.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting... let us know what you find and if it corrects the issue. Would be great if this was the fix... makes you wonder if this was something forgot during the assembly of the car or something that got pulled a loose during the assembly. Either way if this is the fix Honda should be made aware and make sure this part gets/stays connected.
I took a break at work just to go check mine out and it was actually connected already/still.

Whether or not it should be connected is the question. To me it would seem like something that should be connected from the factory but a few users had posted theirs were disconnected, and they connected them.

Is this seriously something that got overlooked during assembly, or came undone during delivery .. how?

·
Administrator
2,658 Posts
I took a break at work just to go check mine out and it was actually connected already/still.

Whether or not it should be connected is the question. To me it would seem like something that should be connected from the factory but a few users had posted theirs were disconnected, and they connected them.

Is this seriously something that got overlooked during assembly, or came undone during delivery .. how?
Well that sucks... thought there was an easy fix found. :crying:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
My tube is connected and I have the issue.
Ditto. The tube is connected on my car as well. So much for the easy fix!

I have tried every possible combo of settings. For me, the solution right now (heat mode) is 72F at startup. As usual peak temp hits at about 10 minutes after a cold (20F) start. The cabin temp feels more like 75 but I am trying trying to get automatic control on my cabin temp. After about 30 minutes, the cabin feels more like 70F. I am using the floor outlets only. That seems to get the best results. The fan speed is still too high though. The best way to deal with this issue until Honda gets our message. As usual for me, I use the a/c off setting. I don’t believe that setting has anything to do with this issue.

The manual climate control in my VW GTI is much better than this “automatic” control.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank You. I just started experiencing this issue with my Accord (2018) 1.5 when I have turned on my heat. It does not matter about Econ mode as I never use it. It was working before. I usually set it at 71 degrees, now extremely hot air has started blowing out of my vents. I had to set the temperature to 65 or 68 for it not to be scorching hot air blowing. I kept turning it off and on, same hot air kept blowing out of the vents and my temperature was set to 70 degrees. I do not know why now you have to fiddle around with the knobs, press directional modes and play around with the temperature in the vehicle in order to get it to function properly.

Reactions: Ghawkins

·
Registered
30 Posts
I found mine disconnected (I know the techs were under there because I had the footwell lights installed; they also didn't reconnect the parking monitor switch). Only driven the car a couple of times since reconnecting, but seems to have solved the problem of the hot air blasting and cooking the cabin when the heat first comes on. I still need to try a longer trip with some cold temps to see if cabin temp is maintained instead of dropping after about 30 min; will report back when I have more info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went to the dealer with a copy of your pictures and description of what it might be. Of course, the vehicle did not while at the mechanic repeat the fickleness we experience. He also went by a computer sensor and the codes did not show there was anything wrong. I was told if it does it again, I will have to return and hope it repeats it and leave the car for them to see what is going on. I just thought I would add a follow-up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
so just to re-iterate MY issue ..

I am NOT using "auto", I am using manually adjusted temps. Right now with temps in MT not getting above 20degress, once I pull out of the garage at work (where its about 68deg) then thermometer on the tach starts to drop. When i start the car usually the temp is at 70-75deg, so I always turn it down in to the 60s to try and get some cooler air flowing in the car. By the time I have driven outside for about 5 min, that ~60deg starts blowing HOT air until I then turn it down in to the ~50s.

The second those 50s are too cool and i adjust upwards, its HOT air again. Its not a gradual increase just hot.

When its just unbearable, even after turning the fan down to the first notch, i just crack the windows to get some cool air in. its a pain

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

I am NOT using "auto", I am using manually adjusted temps. Right now with temps in MT not getting above 20degress, once I pull out of the garage at work (where its about 68deg) then thermometer on the tach starts to drop. When i start the car usually the temp is at 70-75deg, so I always turn it down in to the 60s to try and get some cooler air flowing in the car. By the time I have driven outside for about 5 min, that ~60deg starts blowing HOT air until I then turn it down in to the ~50s.

The second those 50s are too cool and i adjust upwards, its HOT air again. Its not a gradual increase just hot.

When its just unbearable, even after turning the fan down to the first notch, i just crack the windows to get some cool air in. its a pain
I believe all automobile a/c systems are on automatic when in heat mode. If you turn off via the a/c button, the compressor will not operate, so no cooling. Other than then, you cannot turn off the automatic function. Having said that Honda needs to address this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am so over my 2018 Accord’s heating issues.
First of all, I have had climate control in my vehicles since 1980, so I know how it works and is suppose to work. I have had it to two different dealers several times. Even took it in w/the problem being active and showed them. Always the same answer, cannot duplicate the problem. Dealer gave me another 2018 Accord to drive for a couple days and all worked as it should. Set temp at 70-76, it doesn’t matter, as the car heats up the increasing heat will not stop. I have checked the temp with a thermometer and will hit into the 90’s. You have to manually turn it down. When you finally get the temp to even out at your desired temp, it will only last up to the 30-50 min. driving time mark. At this point, whatever the temp is outside will start blowing out of the two side vents and the floor. So, if it is 10 degrees out, get ready for the freezer. Normally you have to turn the temp up past 85 to get heat again. If you are not highway driving, a simple stop at a extended traffic light or a drive-thru will also activate it once you start driving again. Eco on or off, daytime, nighttime, auto, manual, compressor, no compressor, it doesn’t matter. *Note At one point it did start working as it should and then back to the same ole. When it is warmer out and it is calling for a/c, it works as it should. I have a feeling Honda knows about this and refuses to issue a bulletin. Yesterday at the dentist office a women was having the exact same issue with her 2018 accord. Anyone find a fix?

·
Registered
64 Posts
First of all, I have had climate control in my vehicles since 1980, so I know how it works and is suppose to work. I have had it to two different dealers several times. Even took it in w/the problem being active and showed them. Always the same answer, cannot duplicate the problem. Dealer gave me another 2018 Accord to drive for a couple days and all worked as it should. Set temp at 70-76, it doesn’t matter, as the car heats up the increasing heat will not stop. I have checked the temp with a thermometer and will hit into the 90’s. You have to manually turn it down. When you finally get the temp to even out at your desired temp, it will only last up to the 30-50 min. driving time mark. At this point, whatever the temp is outside will start blowing out of the two side vents and the floor. So, if it is 10 degrees out, get ready for the freezer. Normally you have to turn the temp up past 85 to get heat again. If you are not highway driving, a simple stop at a extended traffic light or a drive-thru will also activate it once you start driving again. Eco on or off, daytime, nighttime, auto, manual, compressor, no compressor, it doesn’t matter. *Note At one point it did start working as it should and then back to the same ole. When it is warmer out and it is calling for a/c, it works as it should. I have a feeling Honda knows about this and refuses to issue a bulletin. Yesterday at the dentist office a women was having the exact same issue with her 2018 accord. Anyone find a fix?
OMG you explain exactly the problem I am having with my 2018. The dealer told me that everything is fine. Same thing with the remote start not working on hybrid. This will be my last Honda. Will switch to Toyota next time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
My climate control works exactly as you describe. Including the brief return to normal operation. And to compliment this inconsistency, my dealer responded with almost exactly the same dialogue. Never heard this before and no Honda service bulletin has been issued. There is no point in asking them to fix it if they have no information about the cause. I have tried every possible combo of control settings. Nothing works. My VW has manual control. Much easier to control the cabin temp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
^^^ Have you guys checked out post #41? Found that hose disconnected on my 2018 Accord; reconnected it and seems to have solved the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 3rd dealer that I took it to in Columbus, OH told me to call customer service at Corporate Honda. I did just that, they listened to me and opened a complaint/ticket. They just got back w/me today. Their answer was reiterated back to me the same as the dealer. Cannot duplicate the problem. When I bought this 2018 Accord, I sold my 2006 Toyota Corolla with 285,000 and not ever one problem. I wish I had kept it. To get rid of my piece of Honda JUNK will cost me between $6000 - $7000. To answer the question, will I ever buy another Honda? **** no!!! I would love to take it to Honda Corporate and let an executive drive it for a week and roast their ass and freeze their ass and see how they like it. I just can’t get anyone to take the time to experience the issue. I know Honda knows there is an issue, but refusing to acknowledge it. Price tag is probably to large and since it is not a safety issue, they never will. At summers end I will be trading it for a new Camry. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·

You are experiencing the same issues as all of the rest of us. Just remember that the automatic control in heat mode is always working. No way to stop that. All of us are doing the same thing however, turning it down after 10 minutes and back up after maybe 20-30 minutes. What other systems don’t do is the crazy behavior as you describe it. The only consistency is the service rep reaction to your complaint. “Never heard of that before, but we can look into it.” BS. This is my 5th car with climate control; 3 Honda’s and 2 VW’s. The first four worked as they should. Great car, the best Honda ever, but this system is no good. I like good climate control systems and they are becoming universal on everything. I suspect the auto systems, as standard equipment, are related to EPA emission requirements and CAFE fuel economy rules.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts