2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
so just to re-iterate MY issue ..

I am NOT using "auto", I am using manually adjusted temps. Right now with temps in MT not getting above 20degress, once I pull out of the garage at work (where its about 68deg) then thermometer on the tach starts to drop. When i start the car usually the temp is at 70-75deg, so I always turn it down in to the 60s to try and get some cooler air flowing in the car. By the time I have driven outside for about 5 min, that ~60deg starts blowing HOT air until I then turn it down in to the ~50s.

The second those 50s are too cool and i adjust upwards, its HOT air again. Its not a gradual increase just hot.

When its just unbearable, even after turning the fan down to the first notch, i just crack the windows to get some cool air in. its a pain
Glad to know I'm not going crazy. This system is completely broken. A fan speed control and a red/blue slider from the 1980's would be more driver friendly than this over-engineered/illogical climate control nightmare.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad to know I'm not going crazy. This system is completely broken. A fan speed control and a red/blue slider from the 1980's would be more driver friendly than this over-engineered/illogical climate control nightmare.
This morning its 65 outside. I put the system on 60. The air from the vents was not cold. It was slightly warmed. How can this be. If I ask for 60 and its 65 out, the air should be COLD.

The Honda system does not work properly and I am sure Honda knows this yet does nothing. Will definitely complain next time I am in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Temp control

My 2018 Sport 2.0 10 speed does a poor job of maintaining temp in both heat and a/c modes. I find myself adjusting the temp from 71 to 77 degrees to maintain comfort. This is my 3rd Accord with auto climate control. They all operate in the same manner, but with different results. I have noticed that the temp adjustments seem to be influenced more by the dash top solar sensor than either previous Accords. A small piece of black tape might modify that, but I haven’t tried that yet.

Interestingly, I am adjusting the temp knob in my ‘18 Accord with auto climate control far more frequently than the temp knob in my ‘15 VW GTI with manual climate control. Just a small glitch in an otherwise perfect car so far.
Set the controls to 72 degrees and leave it alone. You are trying to do its job. Its smarter than you are on cabin comfort.

·
Super Moderator
199 Posts
I confess to not reading everything. I have a 2018 hybrid. I keep it in econ mode all the time. I never use automatic climate control. I keep the temp setting on Lo and adjust the fan setting as desired. I keep it on recirculate all the time. If it gets too cool with the fan on the lowest setting then I adjust the temp up 2-3 degrees at a time until I get the desired results. Pretty much a do it myself blue/red slider system. I haven't been uncomfortable yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Set the controls to 72 degrees and leave it alone. You are trying to do its job. Its smarter than you are on cabin comfort.
As I mentioned in previous posts on the subject. That is not the case. I have had 2 previous Accords with climate control and one VW. With those cars I was able to do as you say, not my ‘18. With your 72 setting at about 20 degrees ambient the cockpit starts getting way too hot after about 10 minutes. Then after 20-25 minutes it nearly shuts off all at once. I guess you didn’t read all my previous posts on the subject.

The automatic control cannot be turned off on the heat side. It will function anyway and that is normal. If the a/c is intentionally turned off, the compressor will not function. The automatic function works as designed when using the a/c on my car. I suspect malfunctioning temperature sensors on my car and many other reporting this same issue.

What is the build date on your car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
New to the forum, found it while searching for issues with the 2018 Accord climate control. I too am experiencing issues (2018 Touring 2.0L). Car heats up just fine, but after 30 minutes or so, starts blowing cold air out of the side window defrost vents on the top of the dash. I've measured the temp coming out of the vents with an infrared thermometer; with the cabin temp set at 72-74 (in auto mode) the air coming out of those vents is in the high 50's, whereas the other vents are mid 70's to 80's. Result is the top of the legs and feet start to feel chilly. Manually selecting the combined dash and footwell vent distribution seems to help, as the window defrost vents now blow warmer air. Took the wife on a trip recently and she commented her feet and legs were cold without me having first told her about the problem.

Took the car to the dealer, and they tested the temps against an identical model off the lot. Said the readings from both vehicles were within 10%, which is considered normal. From what I saw of the readings, which the service rep was not crazy about showing me, the temps were lower on my car compared to the one from the lot. The rep followed up with Honda's tech support line - they want him to cold soak the car overnight and then run the test again against another vehicle. This sounds like a lot of nonsense to me, as it has nothing to do with whether the car sat overnight at all; it always occurs 30-45 minutes into a drive when it's cold outside. The rep also said I could do nothing and wait for more people to complain to Honda, at which time they might take it more seriously.

Anyways, that's my story so far. I noticed the last post was November. Anyone else have any more info/progress to share on their issue? Thanks.
I have similar issue in my 2018 accord. i get cold air at 68, when i turn the temp button down to LOW the air remains the same , no adjustment. your not the only one with this issue. i hope more people complain to Honda then they would take it serious. i'm having a tough time in New York to have the dealer diagnose the issue.The dealer is playing dumb like it's normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2018 Sport 2.0 10 speed does a poor job of maintaining temp in both heat and a/c modes. I find myself adjusting the temp from 71 to 77 degrees to maintain comfort. This is my 3rd Accord with auto climate control. They all operate in the same manner, but with different results. I have noticed that the temp adjustments seem to be influenced more by the dash top solar sensor than either previous Accords. A small piece of black tape might modify that, but I haven’t tried that yet.

Interestingly, I am adjusting the temp knob in my ‘18 Accord with auto climate control far more frequently than the temp knob in my ‘15 VW GTI with manual climate control. Just a small glitch in an otherwise perfect car so far.
Same here on my 2018 accord, i'm having the same issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
New to the forum, found it while searching for issues with the 2018 Accord climate control. I too am experiencing issues (2018 Touring 2.0L). Car heats up just fine, but after 30 minutes or so, starts blowing cold air out of the side window defrost vents on the top of the dash. I've measured the temp coming out of the vents with an infrared thermometer; with the cabin temp set at 72-74 (in auto mode) the air coming out of those vents is in the high 50's, whereas the other vents are mid 70's to 80's. Result is the top of the legs and feet start to feel chilly. Manually selecting the combined dash and footwell vent distribution seems to help, as the window defrost vents now blow warmer air. Took the wife on a trip recently and she commented her feet and legs were cold without me having first told her about the problem.

Took the car to the dealer, and they tested the temps against an identical model off the lot. Said the readings from both vehicles were within 10%, which is considered normal. From what I saw of the readings, which the service rep was not crazy about showing me, the temps were lower on my car compared to the one from the lot. The rep followed up with Honda's tech support line - they want him to cold soak the car overnight and then run the test again against another vehicle. This sounds like a lot of nonsense to me, as it has nothing to do with whether the car sat overnight at all; it always occurs 30-45 minutes into a drive when it's cold outside. The rep also said I could do nothing and wait for more people to complain to Honda, at which time they might take it more seriously.

Anyways, that's my story so far. I noticed the last post was November. Anyone else have any more info/progress to share on their issue? Thanks.
Yes you're not alone i'm experiencing the same issue. it's seems like the dealers are walking away from the issue because it's under warranty. no one wants to spend their time to fix the issue with no cost. everyone should file a complaint to Honda via Facebook.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I never use the Econ mode, poor throttle response. In my car at least, the a/c is in recirculate anytime the climate control is on automatic. That is another issue addressed here previously. Obviously Honda sees better mpg in this mode since the system is cooling already cooled air from the cabin. That plan seems to work. The gas mileage is great and I cannot see any difference a/c on or off. I believe my issue is related to the solar sensor on the top of the dash. Will ask the service department to weigh-in. I just wonder if others have seen my issue.
same issue here with my 2018 accord. the dealerships in NYC seems not interested in tackling this issue. I hope everyone reports the issue to Honda via Facebook and They only have 1 response " if the dealer determines it's fine" screw you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the cold weather starting, the inconsistencies of the heating system are popping up again. It works well at first, warming up the car. But after a while, I start feeling cold air (direct air from the outside) flowing through the car and heated air at my feet. I have especially noticed the cold air coming from the outside vents.
Is it just me, or is this an odd way to regulate the temperature in a car?
It doesn't seem to matter if it is on auto or manual. AC is off and both sides are in sync.
I have a 2019 LX Hybrid.
Anyone else noticing this? Or better yet, heard anything from Honda?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the sun or the sensor on top of the dash, because my '19 2.0 blew cold air at night 2-3 times now after driving for a while. I 've only had the car 10 days. I set the temp usually between 71 and 73 and after 20-25 min. cold air comes out. I have to adjust it to 78-80 to get the heat back, but then after a few min. it gets too hot and I have to really lower it again because even back at 70 it's blowing hot air like it's set for 80. It just can't control the temp. or cannot sense what the temp is in the car. So I have to go down into the 60's for the car to feel comfortable again, and back & forth we go from hot to cold, cold to hot.

It's only about the first 25 min. of the drive that the heat works near perfectly. After that a sensor or relay switch or something gets overheated or malfunctions, and then it becomes a guessing game and you have to go back & forth with the temp. setting.
No, there is something wrong with the climate control system in the new accords. more people should complain to the dealerships to make honda aware of this issue. my 2018 accord have the same issue i'm going from 1 dealer to another and hopefully it will be addressed. during the summer i can move the the temp from 68 to low where the air is just cool and no change in temperature and whenever the system decides to change it will get colder, and adjust i do, then it gets warmer, and again i adjust. if more people complain, it should be a recall on the heater box. good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Same exact issue on my 19’ 1.5T I have had for 3 days. wife and I noticed on way home from shopping trip tonight. Started right around 45 minutes into the drive.
Heat set to defrost/feet blows cold from side vents/defrost vents/feet. Windows started to fog up from the cool air.
Someone mentioned complaining to Honda corporate on Facebook how exactly do I do that?
hoping to hear more info soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agree with all these comments. I am guessing that most are not aware of the operation of the system with the auto climate turned “off”. It is not off, inconsistency and all. The only thing you do be turning off auto climate is removing the a/c compressor from the equation. It will still do whatever it does on the heat side. That would be OK if it did actually make and hold the temp you select, a/c or heat. To be fair, most climate control systems work in this manner. It is just the ‘18 Accord, that I have noticed this poor temp control.

I believe it has something to do with the climate control sensor on top the dash on the passenger side. Have you noticed the dramatic effect on the interior temp, winter or summer on a sunny day, when making a 90 degree turn into the sun? The temp drops instantly. Or, just have your passenger hold their hand over this sensor while driving into the sun. The results is the same. I believe it to be overreacting. I am going to try a piece of black tape over the sensor as an experiment.
where exactly is the climate control sensor, because when the sun hits my dash my ac only blows cool air, not cold

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
where exactly is the climate control sensor, because when the sun hits my dash my ac only blows cool air, not cold
The sun sensor is the round bump on top of the dash in front of the passenger. It is very responsive to sun or shade, heat or a/c. However I am not certain it is part of the problem that so many of us have. Honda has been using this sun sensor for many years. My 2004 Accord had exactly the same sensor.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts