2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my end game here is that I'm trying to figure out if the MM will make the HondaCare maintenance plan at 48 mo/60k miles worth it.* So far, this is the schedule I'm looking at through Honda manuals and dealership prices.* I know air filters and cabin air filters are five minute jobs.* However, I'm not into getting under the car and changing the oil and such.* I changed an alternator on an Explorer once.* Once.* I'll pay for the convenience and time.*

According to the routine/normal maintenance schedule:

7500* * ** A
15000* ** B
22500* * A
30000* * B C
37500* * A
45000* * B* plus Coolant--Brake Fluid
52500* * A
60000* * B C

Source:*Honda Maintenance Schedule

Now for the prices (I rounded up to the nearest dollar):

A (hybrid synthetic oil change/filter) = $55
B (oil/filter changer = $55, bunch of checks and fluid top-offs $30, and tire rotation/balance = $60) = $ 139.95
C = (replace spark plugs = $210, inspect and adjust drive belts = $???, and air cleaner element = $35) = $245 minimum
Coolant = $90
Brake Fluid = $110
Transmission Fluid = $95..
Air Cleaner Element = $35

So looking at this basic normal conditions with oil changes and general service every 7,500 miles, I come up with these numbers

A x 4 @ $55* ** = $220
B x 4 @ $140** = $560
C x 2 @ $245* = $490

The grand total with my bad math in the head brain is:* $1270

However, I live in the Imperial Valley in the lowest of low deserts in CA.* It's a cool week at sub 110.* Last week was 115 plus.* We also have an Odyssey, and I wish it only needed an oil change every 7,500 miles.* Here are the numbers for extreme temperatures if you are still with me.* Or Canadians.* That's extreme, eh?

3750* * A
7500* * B
11250* A
15000* B Air Cleaner Element
18750* A
22500* B
26250* A
30000* B C plus transmission fluid and air cleaner element
33750* A
37500* B Air
41250* A
45000* B plus air cleaner element, brake fluid and coolant
48750* A
52500* B
56250* A
60000* B C plus transmission fluid

So...

A x 8 = $440
B x 8 = $1120
C x 2 = $490
Tranny Fluid x 2 = $190
Coolant x 1 = $90
Brake Fluid = $110

Grand Total is: $2440

Somewhere between those two numbers is where my vehicle will probably be. Sorry for any incorrect math.

Here is my source for the dealer prices:**Brown Honda Maintenance Menu

Is $855 worth it for 48 months/60k miles? Seems like it. What do you think?

Peace and harmony!

·
Registered
104 Posts
You certainly know the math when it comes to maintenance. As long as the dealer is reliable and trustworthy it makes sense to use their service. I agree the convenience of having the service done is worth a premium.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn't take it. I didn't like the hard sell, I didn't like that there were things that are not billed like fluid top offs and inspections or things I do myself like filters and tire rotations (which I do when I switch to snow tires). Also, it's unlikely for me to get to 60K in 4 years, so I miss the most expensive service. I might have taken it if I was buying a car for my daughter, just so she would maintain it, but it's not for me.

I don't think the dealer will do the severe service schedule based on the pre-sold plan, unless you bump it up to something more expensive.

Finally, do these things really need spark plugs every 30000 miles?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Outstanding breakdown for that alone I salute you...
Here's my take keeping in mind I'm leasing with option to buy.
So my plan was less months and the cost was less as well.
For someone like me who likes everything done and quite honestly doesn't have the time I thought it was great. I didn't feel the dealership pushed it on me nor did I feel like it was just a selling point for them. They way I saw it is I much rather include the maintenance costs into my monthly payment than to be having to pay full cost every time I went. The key thing for me was that I got a great deal on my payment to start with so when I broke down the plan I believe it was around $13 dollars and some cents a month more. Which again it didn't affect my expenses based on what kind of payment I wanted.
Just to think that I'll be able to drop it off, get a phone call, sign a paper and pick it up without having to pay eases my mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't take it. I didn't like the hard sell, I didn't like that there were things that are not billed like fluid top offs and inspections or things I do myself like filters and tire rotations (which I do when I switch to snow tires). Also, it's unlikely for me to get to 60K in 4 years, so I miss the most expensive service. I might have taken it if I was buying a car for my daughter, just so she would maintain it, but it's not for me.

I don't think the dealer will do the severe service schedule based on the pre-sold plan, unless you bump it up to something more expensive.

The spark plugs was one of the big questions I had. When I spoke to the dealer, he stated the plan covered anything on the Maintenance Minder. I still haven’t bit yet, though.

I wonder about the sparkplugs. I don't think every 30k. I'm going back and forth on this as I definitely don't enjoy doing the oil changes. The air filter, cabin filter, all that is cake, I know. I do those now. But geez, you got me feeling all kind of emasculated after that daughter comment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a finance manager for a Honda dealership in CT, I make a living repeatedly pitching extended warranties and service contracts for the 300/cars a month my dealership delivers most months.

Extended warranties and service contracts can make some sense for high lines like Mercedes and BMW..

Ultimately depends on the Dealer

Imo most coverages I’ve seen and dissected are a complete waste of money.

If you know a reputable mechanic, he’ll perform all the “required” maintenance Honda recommends but at a fraction of the cost. And he’ll do a better job than that 22 year old kid who has minimul experience with repairs in general.

Just make sure you’re going to a ASE certified shop, and save your receipts.

A service advisor at a dealership has a monthly goal he/she is focused on. A good mechanic on the other hand doesn’t care about that crap. Or their CSI scores. A good mechanic will save you a lot of bull**** charges.

If you don’t know a good mechanic, look at local shops and how long they’ve been in business. Mystery shop them. Go to them a few weeks after you’ve had an oil change and tell them you think you need one. Or, tell them you think your car is leaking fluids during the summer when every car sweats with the AC running.

Cars can be money pits. I guess what I’m trying to say is most Honda’s are much less likely to be that though.

Odds are you’ll save more money not going with an extended warranty, or service contract than going with one with Honda.

If you were buying a POS Ford or Chevy Sedan/SUV... My opinion would drastically differ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took it just for the peace of mind and only because I have never before bought a brand new car. I mostly work myself on all my other cars but took a chance this time and bought plan. So far good svs. 2018 Honda Accord, 1.5 Touring with 11,157 miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The spark plugs was one of the big questions I had. When I spoke to the dealer, he stated the plan covered anything on the Maintenance Minder.
That's the issue right there. I went back and followed the link in your first post. You need a subscription to verify that schedule. My owners manual has no schedule at all, just a reference to the maintenance minder. I don't have much experience with the new Accord, but the maintenance minder on our 2009 never wanted an oil change before 10,000 miles. It wanted spark plugs at over 100K. That makes the service plan look like a way worse deal, especially of it's sold against a bogus service schedule. The one I was offered was locked into the original dealer, so that was a non-starter.
But geez, you got me feeling all kind of emasculated after that daughter comment.
I was just thinking about her safety and solving a possible cash flow problem for her. I didn't mean to get all testosterone about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the issue right there. I went back and followed the link in your first post. You need a subscription to verify that schedule. My owners manual has no schedule at all, just a reference to the maintenance minder. I don't have much experience with the new Accord, but the maintenance minder on our 2009 never wanted an oil change before 10,000 miles. It wanted spark plugs at over 100K. That makes the service plan look like a way worse deal, especially of it's sold against a bogus service schedule. The one I was offered was locked into the original dealer, so that was a non-starter.

I was just thinking about her safety and solving a possible cash flow problem for her. I didn't mean to get all testosterone about it.
Apparently, I was the one who went all testosterone about it. Sorry about that. I’m leaning more towards your thinking. After 1k miles in 115 degree heat, my oil is still at 90%. So, it does look like a bit of a trap.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts