2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New here.

I have been a Honda enthusiast for years. I also absolutely love the Toyota brand; Their longevity and reliability are insane - but I prefer Honda overall.

List of previously owned vehicles in order of purchase, owned various ones at the same time:
1991 Subaru Legacy FWD, white
1998 Civic EX Coupe GSR turbo, Silver
1996 Integra hatch GSR turbo, spray painted flat black, RIP
2008 Civic Si Sedan, Nighthawk Black Pearl
2007 Corolla CE automatic, red
2012 Corolla Type-S 5-speed MT, Super White
2013 Acura ILX 2.4 Premium MT, Crystal Black Pearl
1994 Integra LS Sedan 5-speed MT, red, bone stock, $$$cha-ching
2006 CRV SE, Nighthawk Black Pearl, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$cha-ching

Fast forward to about a year and a half ago:

I had been debating on trading in my ILX:

Which I bought used, bone stock, no accessories, and turned it into that.

It was a beautiful car, but I was still aching for more power. I did not want to get into a custom boost setup or a kit. All of my perspective manufacturers discontinued all of their manual transmission models after 2015 (Acura, and Lexus years prior). I had even considered the 2018 Camry XSE V6 two-tone white w/ Red Leather but again, no stick shift.

I finally purchased the Crystal Black Pearl Accord in February and got a great deal! Purchase came with the very necessary wheel lock nuts.

I already knew Hondata was well on top of re-flashes. In fact, after the initial legal window tints and 2000 miles, I bench-marked the car on a Dynojet dynamometer and gave it Hondata's stage-2, +6PSI tune.

By the way, I would say that Honda is fairly underestimating their factory crank power and torque output claims. My benchmark yielded 276 hp and 292 ft-lb for Honda's base map.
I do not want to go +9PSI because Hondata recommends clutch upgrades which I do not want to get into yet. Converted crank figures are now 301 hp and 348 ft-lb torque with a MUCH more aggressive curve on the low end torque and an overall smoother driving experience. The car is insanely quick post-reflash, and the horses start to take control a bit lower in the RPM band and have a more stable and continuous incline all the way up to red-line. On the highway, passing power is utter insanity and the car hits 130 mph at about 4k rpm and barely takes anything to get there. Will do 160+ no problem. Backroads and city driving are very fun - this turbo spools right up and floods you with torque VERY quickly now. The diverter valve "woosh" sound is now highly audible when letting off the throttle and the acceleration is crazy. Still getting 25 MPG with very frequent 4-5k romps.

I also added the factory mud guards and rain deflectors as well as performing a custom muffler delete to (that's right) quad tips, which sound amazing without shaking up the neighborhood:

Stay tuned for many future mods (will be posting them in a different section)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Love the muffler delete! I don't really care for the rectangular chrome accents by the tailpipes on the stock Sport models. Was thinking of painting mine a flat black - but this might be a better option. Did you do the install yourself or have a shop do it? If the latter, do you mind divulging how much it cost?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Accord! Those are some pretty incredible gains you achieved with the reflash, bringing you pretty close to what's seen in the Type R. Pretty impressive that it hasn't made any significant changes to your fuel economy either. Any idea why Honda has understated the values on the base tune?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I paid a shop to do it.

I overpaid for mine because I did a muffler delete to the OEM tips, didn't like it and it felt more restrictive, and went back a week later and had them change it.

You can probably get a quality job done including parts $250 - $350 unless they already know how to approach this car then maybe a bit less; It took a good 3 hours the 2nd time around. The challenge was mostly finding a good staggered dual tip and getting it to fit right where there's a metal mount for the OEM tip and bumper parts. Making sure everything ends up level and enough clearance for no rattles without causing a huge gap between the tips and the bumper. I wouldn't recommend tips that aren't double-layered either; tried those - WAY too loud and the vibrations were nuts!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Accord! ... ... Any idea why Honda has understated the values on the base tune?
Thanks! In response; Not a clue... maybe different build locations might produce different results? Some Accords come with Michelin tires and some with Goodyear. I saw someone else posted their results were 231 whp where mine was 240 whp Honda basemap

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More pics coming after a car wash, but...

Added:
Body side moldings
underbody side spoilers
Illuminated door sil kit

Lots more mods on the way

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Body side moldings helps protect the side in case someone opens their door too wide. Was that why you had them installed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello everyone! New here.

I have been a Honda enthusiast for years. I also absolutely love the Toyota brand; Their longevity and reliability are insane - but I prefer Honda overall.

List of previously owned vehicles in order of purchase, owned various ones at the same time:
1991 Subaru Legacy FWD, white
1998 Civic EX Coupe GSR turbo, Silver
1996 Integra hatch GSR turbo, spray painted flat black, RIP
2008 Civic Si Sedan, Nighthawk Black Pearl
2007 Corolla CE automatic, red
2012 Corolla Type-S 5-speed MT, Super White
2013 Acura ILX 2.4 Premium MT, Crystal Black Pearl
1994 Integra LS Sedan 5-speed MT, red, bone stock, $$$cha-ching
2006 CRV SE, Nighthawk Black Pearl, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$cha-ching

Fast forward to about a year and a half ago:

I had been debating on trading in my ILX:

Which I bought used, bone stock, no accessories, and turned it into that.

It was a beautiful car, but I was still aching for more power. I did not want to get into a custom boost setup or a kit. All of my perspective manufacturers discontinued all of their manual transmission models after 2015 (Acura, and Lexus years prior). I had even considered the 2018 Camry XSE V6 two-tone white w/ Red Leather but again, no stick shift.

I finally purchased the Crystal Black Pearl Accord in February and got a great deal! Purchase came with the very necessary wheel lock nuts.

I already knew Hondata was well on top of re-flashes. In fact, after the initial legal window tints and 2000 miles, I bench-marked the car on a Dynojet dynamometer and gave it Hondata's stage-2, +6PSI tune.

By the way, I would say that Honda is fairly underestimating their factory crank power and torque output claims. My benchmark yielded 276 hp and 292 ft-lb for Honda's base map.
I do not want to go +9PSI because Hondata recommends clutch upgrades which I do not want to get into yet. Converted crank figures are now 301 hp and 348 ft-lb torque with a MUCH more aggressive curve on the low end torque and an overall smoother driving experience. The car is insanely quick post-reflash, and the horses start to take control a bit lower in the RPM band and have a more stable and continuous incline all the way up to red-line. On the highway, passing power is utter insanity and the car hits 130 mph at about 4k rpm and barely takes anything to get there. Will do 160+ no problem. Backroads and city driving are very fun - this turbo spools right up and floods you with torque VERY quickly now. The diverter valve "woosh" sound is now highly audible when letting off the throttle and the acceleration is crazy. Still getting 25 MPG with very frequent 4-5k romps.

I also added the factory mud guards and rain deflectors as well as performing a custom muffler delete to (that's right) quad tips, which sound amazing without shaking up the neighborhood:

Stay tuned for many future mods (will be posting them in a different section)
These are nice gains and are pretty accurate to what hondata claims with Stage 2 @20 psi making 22 HP Peak to Peak. I'm using the long-standing product line that KTuner offers. Stage 2 @19psi with a 27-hp peak-to-peak gain. My MPG has been excellent on my work commute I averaged between 36 mpg and 39 MPG.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Body side moldings helps protect the side in case someone opens their door too wide. Was that why you had them installed?
Yes.

I park in close-quarter spaces where (some of) my neighbors don't necessarily have as much courtesy towards one another as I'd like, so this will help. (Haven't had a ding yet though, thankfully). Generally I know which of my neighbors are and aren't respectful but sometimes I have to park next to someone questionable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New video, don't forget to smash the LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE button when you get there!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi there and welcome!

I was wondering: I already get a ton of wheel spin while taking off with stock so I wonder how "bad" it gets with the tune with that increased torque?

Did you upgrade tires?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts