2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0t
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I'm officially going down the rabbit hole...

After picking Derek's brain on big turbos, I have purchased the MHI Stage 2 Turbo / install kit.

I've also ordered the PRL charge pipes, PRL titanium inlet w/ install kit, the PRL intake conversion hose, and a set of 27 won 4bar map sensors.

After doing a ton of reading and research, I'm still unclear as to what else is needed for a full and clean install. Some people say I need certain gaskets, new waste gate actuator, etc.. I'm needing very specific information to make sure I have everything on hand before I start the tear down.

For those interested I will also be installing and running a full water meth injection set up. Should be fun to drive!

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T
217 Posts
You seem to have mostly everything for the install. You don’t need a new actuator you can use your oem one but pick up the arm that’s meant for the type r it won’t work without it. You’re definitely going to want to run new hardware like the gasket and stud kit that prl sells it will make you sleep better at night. Prime the turbo with oil and do a coolant flush while your at it , add some water wetter it’ll make coolant temps pretty stable between 180-190 it’s never gone over 195 even on hot days like 115. Don’t forget to enable 4bar map sensor in your ktuner or car won’t start when you check for leaks. I also recommend getting a aem solenoid for water meth so it doesn’t flow into the charge pipe when it’s not engaged. GL 🫡

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the middle of tuning an all PRL MHI II build (also via email with Derek) and I can help give you some tips:

1. You do not need the Type-R wastegate actuator arm. I don't know why this myth exists, but I fell for it and bought one too.
2. If you already have a Hondata unit, just exchange it for a KTuner one through IMW. We tried for weeks to get the tune to work right through Hondata and it was just a waste of time.
3. PRL has a turbo gasket set, might as well get it while you're at it.
4. Double check your boost pipe clamps, or even better, toss the ones that came with PRL's boost pipes and use some T-Clamps instead. Blowing off a boost hose on a highway in the middle of the night isn't fun...
5. You'll either need to fashion a bracket for under the turbo (not too hard) or get one of these from the Type R: 18905-RPY-G01 (bracket) and 90010-PE2-900, 0451-PE2-000, 90005-P0A-000 for the bolts/washers if you don't have any kicking around.

(Also, I only lurk this forum and hang out at driveaccord but I figured I'd chime in)

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0t
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the middle of tuning an all PRL MHI II build (also via email with Derek) and I can help give you some tips:

1. You do not need the Type-R wastegate actuator arm. I don't know why this myth exists, but I fell for it and bought one too.
2. If you already have a Hondata unit, just exchange it for a KTuner one through IMW. We tried for weeks to get the tune to work right through Hondata and it was just a waste of time.
3. PRL has a turbo gasket set, might as well get it while you're at it.
4. Double check your boost pipe clamps, or even better, toss the ones that came with PRL's boost pipes and use some T-Clamps instead. Blowing off a boost hose on a highway in the middle of the night isn't fun...
5. You'll either need to fashion a bracket for under the turbo (not too hard) or get one of these from the Type R: 18905-RPY-G01 (bracket) and 90010-PE2-900, 0451-PE2-000, 90005-P0A-000 for the bolts/washers if you don't have any kicking around.

(Also, I only lurk this forum and hang out at driveaccord but I figured I'd chime in)
Thanks. After more research today I saw the arm wasn't necessary on this particular turbo. It may be on other turbo upgrades. I'm ordering the bracket and hardware now. Thanks for the heads up. Not sure where your at on Derek's revisions, but are you liking it so far?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been tuning since June first with Hondata (which wasted about a month) and now with KTuner. My Hondata 4 bar MAP sensors were also DOA to boot, so some 27Won ones are on the way.

Car pulls super hard around 3500 RPM and boosts all the way to redline. If you have a 6MT I find that unless you really row fast you'll wind up out of boost between gears. Also, the clutch might slip when the boost kicks in - so prepare yourself for a more sturdy clutch, too.

Also, I have PRL frontpipe/catted downpipe and the DC exhaust: if you have a similar setup get ready for it to sound really rowdy (pops, bangs when upshifting during heavy acceleration). It's a little much for me (I'm getting old lol), but the 25-year old in me loves it.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0t
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been tuning since June first with Hondata (which wasted about a month) and now with KTuner. My Hondata 4 bar MAP sensors were also DOA to boot, so some 27Won ones are on the way.

Car pulls super hard around 3500 RPM and boosts all the way to redline. If you have a 6MT I find that unless you really row fast you'll wind up out of boost between gears. Also, the clutch might slip when the boost kicks in - so prepare yourself for a more sturdy clutch, too.

Also, I have PRL frontpipe/catted downpipe and the DC exhaust: if you have a similar setup get ready for it to sound really rowdy (pops, bangs when upshifting during heavy acceleration). It's a little much for me (I'm getting old lol), but the 25-year old in me loves it.
I've got the 10AT. Right now I'm K-tuner custom tune, FBO, Flex Fuel, and custom exhaust. I forgot to mention in my original post that I did get the modified, larger bore, OEM fuel line. Hoping it will help me get further until a HPFP is released.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
OK, have some basic Questions , I see Engine Bay Seal is Off in back , Engine Cover isn't Fitting , so What are Most doing 4 Heat Control ?

Thermal Gasket on New Alu. Induction Pipe .. ?

Ceramic Coatings ? Anywhere , on DP or Alu. Induction Pipe , Not Titanium
I see 1 Turbo Blanket which Size - Fits that Turbo ( Same As R Type ) Size it's just Better Wheels - ONLY ?
Was there any Mentioning Balancing of CHRA on that Turbo ?

Is there Going to be 1 Complete List of Required Parts - Laid Out ./.

Everyone may get on same Page .. ( Or ( Maybe I Missed that Page ) LOL

Are Many Adding Hard Piping Kit so long as everything is Apart . .
Would a Stage 1 on this set up Produce 325~340HP ( Looks Like ) Mitsubishi MHI set up is Being Discussed ..

Thanks

Bump

1 - 11 of 11 Posts