2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me, where is the best jacking point on a 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T in order to do an oil change? I have always been able to place my Jack under the middle front of my car, but I don't think this car has a solid place there...HELP!

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir. According to the photo you posted, there does appear to be a lift point at the front middle, funny even though I did look for it there, I did not see it. Next time I'm under I'll take a harder look. Bye the way, I did ask a Honda Tech and mechanic at my dealership and they said that this car could only be jacked up from the side lift points...I wonder why they would say that?

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
You're welcome.... yea the photo does show that there are lift points... let us know if you do find them. My guess the reason the mechanic told you it could only be raised by the lift points are the following...

1. They only use/have been told that's where to place their lifts.

2. They want to deter people from doing their own oil changes cutting them out of quick/easy $$$

Found a couple video's on YouTube of oil changes.... First one the person used a jack on the side, and the second one the person has the car on ramps....

·
Registered
42 Posts
IS it possible to lift both same side wheels by the front jack point? I do that with my Mazda but I haven't tried to lift my new Accord yet. My jack doesn't have enough lift for the rear center and it won't easily reach the front center, so it looks like I'm in for a new jack if I can't lift 2 wheels from one side.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Couldn't really tell by the video's... have a question as it regards the drain hole/plug for oil removal. Is this plug towards the back of the car or towards the front? Was wondering if it was toward the front and the front of the car is raised by either jack or ramps how much oil would not be drained out because it was in/towards the rear of the oil pan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The drain hole/plug for oil removal faces the back of the car. Ideally I would use tire ramps, but I am so afraid of going to far forward or even overboard.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
The drain hole/plug for oil removal faces the back of the car. Ideally I would use tire ramps, but I am so afraid of going to far forward or even overboard.
Gotcha, thanks for that info. As for using ramps probably the safest way to use them is have someone spotting for you so you don't overrun them. I would also be concerned of the angle of the ramps regarding them catching some of the front lip/body panels... definitely have to be low angle IMO. Either way my ole arthritic self isn't going to be crawling under their anyway. :grin: I used to enjoy doing my own oil changes but father time has taken that enjoyment away... it's now worth the money to me to have someone else to do it. Now, if I had a lift and could raise the car and walk under the car I'd be doing them again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Willie : If you're having trouble clearing the jack to get under the front lift point, drive the front wheels up onto to some thick boards to 'start' the lift. Then the hydraulic jack should fit under there and you can finally put in the stands on the side. The front lift point is pretty far back.

Indeed I've seen a photo somewhere where "ramps" were made that were only 5 cm or so high ... just enough to clear the hydraulic lift under there and nothing to worry about if you drive over. (Nail a strip to the front so you can 'feel' the end and stop).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gotcha, thanks for that info. As for using ramps probably the safest way to use them is have someone spotting for you so you don't overrun them. I would also be concerned of the angle of the ramps regarding them catching some of the front lip/body panels... definitely have to be low angle IMO. Either way my ole arthritic self isn't going to be crawling under their anyway. :grin: I used to enjoy doing my own oil changes but father time has taken that enjoyment away... it's now worth the money to me to have someone else to do it. Now, if I had a lift and could raise the car and walk under the car I'd be doing them again in a heartbeat.
Buy soe RACERAMPS. Easy to drive up on and you don't need a spotter. Just place them in front of your tires and drive up on them. They have a bumper that lets you know when you are sitting on top of the ramp.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Buy soe RACERAMPS. Easy to drive up on and you don't need a spotter. Just place them in front of your tires and drive up on them. They have a bumper that lets you know when you are sitting on top of the ramp.
I'm not interested in ramps... was only suggesting that to the OP since they were concerned about over running the ramps. As I stated in my post I'm not crawling/getting under the car anyway. :grin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm an old guy too and with a very weak mid section since stomach cancer and surgery last year, but I've been doing all my oil changes for the last 50 years and actually enjoy doing them even though the getting up and down part is somewhat painful now.
oldhondaguy, thanks for the info. I found RACERAMPS, but what does the soe stand for?

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
I'm an old guy too and with a very weak mid section since stomach cancer and surgery last year, but I've been doing all my oil changes for the last 50 years and actually enjoy doing them even though the getting up and down part is somewhat painful now.
oldhondaguy, thanks for the info. I found RACERAMPS, but what does the soe stand for?
Can't speak for @oldhondaguy but when I was reading it I took it as "some" as in "buy some RACERAMPS" think the "m" was left out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can't speak for @oldhondaguy but when I was reading it I took it as "some" as in "buy some RACERAMPS" think the "m" was left out.
You are absolutely correct! I'm an old man as my name suggest, too many thumbs and not enough coordination.
I saw the mistake after I posted, but never changed it. My bad.

The RaceRamps that purchased were the two piece type. Allows for easier access from the side of the car. One other note, the ramps do not skid and they weigh about 5 pounds each Piece of cake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:grin: Thanks guy's, I should have guessed it was a typo. I really appreciate all the good info from you all...Thank you all very much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts