2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I finally got around to swapping out the ECU map with a stage 2 tune using K tuner. I wanted to just share my experience / brief frustration / thoughts.

I ordered the Ktuner 1.2 module and it comes in a nice little box with no supporting documentation. There is, however, one slip directing you to the website. I went there, found software and got my laptop all setup. After fumbling with the software for about 30 minutes at my kitchen table, an error code finally prompted me that I must lock the module to my ECU in order to do anything. So, note 1, just plug your laptop in to your car via the module with an active wifi connection. This would have saved me some time.

Once locked, it will want to upload your stock map to the module in case you ever need to restore it. Of course, do this. At this point, you can go to "new file" and choose a tune to upload. There are 5 or 6 different maps. When you go to upload your map, it will ask you if you want to load the map to the module (which can store up to 6 tunes) or directly to the ECU. I first choose directly to the ECU and later uploaded all the maps to the module so that I can change them on the fly if I want to. The mapping process from the time I hit upload until done took about five minutes. In this five minutes, there were all kinds of error codes on my dash. I'm guessing this is normal when remapping the ECU. The program directs you to turn off and on the car at this point.

Here is when I got frustrated. When I turned it on, the fancy parts of the accord were throwing codes. I'd lost my radar, camera functionality, ABS. I was p O'd. I turned it off and back on...still there. I could atleast clear the alerts using the steering wheel, but the systems still failed to activate, such as adaptive cruise control. I stormed in the house, had dinner, and decided that I'd better just drive the car now that I'd broke it with an ECU mod. I wanted to feel the +30 hp gains.

So, I drove it out of my neighborhood and just before I hit the major through way, there's a stop sign. I stop. ALL THE ERRORS GO AWAY! YES! So, I turn the car off and back on just to make sure they're actually gone. They are! As if it couldn't get any better, I switch over to sport mode that now has a stage 2 tune and should be nearing 300hp in total.

Slam the gas pedal, turn the wheel...HOLY SH ! T!!! I was squeeling tires going into third. Yes! Big difference! Just to be sure, I switched down to eco mode (which now is tuned to "normal" mode). Sure enough, it felt like how I brought it home off the lot. Still fast, but nothing like the stage 2 tune.

Dollar for hp, we're looking at about 15 dollars per hp in this application. However, it's fast, doesn't require bolts turning, and has full adaptability for what's to come. For example, once the intercoolers and turbos start dropping for this thing, i'll be able to remap it if I choose to install any of these.

Let me know if you all have any questions. Cheers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nissper- Some follow up comments to your Ktuner Post: I believe the underlying message here for Ktuner customers (me), is that they have a terrific product but just need to get all of the available install info in ONE place for us. This would alieve confusion, questions and anxiety. I actually did much investigation/research before deciding to purchase this product including viewing all the Ktune videos on You Tube and most importantly, opening every thread and reading them on their website. All the info is there including more videos, we just have to connect the dots. By doing this, I knew before I started that you had to first LOCK the ECM and register it on their website to get going. By choosing your model, engine and transmission, the software reveals the tunes specific to your car, engine and transmission. Since I purchased the V2 version, once the preceding is done, a PC is no longer required to up/download maps if you store them (plus the stock map) on your module/screen. I believe for customers using the V1.2 version, a PC is needed for changes.
In my case, after the download (Stage ll Dual), all the instrument lights cleared within about 2-300 yards of driving. I also found with my 2.0T/Auto that by driving NOT in Sport or Eco it actually had better everyday driveability. Sort of like a cross between Sport and Eco with good gas mielage and slightly better performance than Eco. To get there, while in Eco or Sport, press the eco button again and the little leaf icon will go out. In SPORT mode, this car is an absolute beast! Traction at that point is a huge issue because of the torque generated. Thanks for the comments and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts