2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I am going to make a very long sad story short hopefully. I have a 2021 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T which last month I brought into service for a P0304 error. Turns out after failing a compression test on cylinder 4 (60psi/110psi) I most likely have a bent rod. The dealership also did a $1000 tear down to further inspect the damage but only took off the head. There appears to be some damage to cams as well with signs of heat rash. Unfortunately because honda saw a downpipe on my car they declined my warranty claim no questions asked even though it has a cat on the downpipe. To get my car up and running in a timely manner I purchased a used engine from cocoa salvage for around 3k with 8k miles on it and I am having a shop install it for roughly $1700. Honda return the car back to me in pieces and I have to figure out what to keep in engine swap.

Reason for this post is I do not know what I should do with my broken engine as it only has 3,300 miles on it and is practically brand new in every way except cams and 1 piston/rod. The way I see it I can either build it back stock or aftermarket or sell as is. I am open to other suggestions.

I live in Orlando FL and I am having a hard time finding good engine builder shops. I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some guidence on what path I should take with my original engine.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Sky Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part

Wood Font Art Tree Trunk

Gas Auto part Metal Machine Bag

Motor vehicle Engineering Machine Auto part Metal

·
Registered
Lunar Silver 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
341 Posts
We’re you tuned also? Just a Downpipe won’t cause that to happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We’re you tuned also? Just a Downpipe won’t cause that to happen.
I am not really looking to find the cause at this point. I was not tuned. I believe it was electronic wastegate error which caused overboost and resulting damage.

I am more looking for good referrals or guidelines in getting original engine taken care of.

Thanks for the concern

·
Registered
341 Posts
Reactions: bizzybisnette

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am not really looking to find the cause at this point. I was not tuned. I believe it was electronic wastegate error which caused overboost and resulting damage.

I am more looking for good referrals or guidelines in getting original engine taken care of.

Thanks for the concern
Understand, but Honda should be fixing that. A Downpipe won’t cause the waste get to stick. Unless it was damaged during the Downpipe installation.

That’s a lot of money to be wasting when warranty should be covering that. Especially if your not tuned. I’m assuming you have the new PRL HV Downpipe which is street legal. I can see the extension on the o2 sensor.
They have to prove the Downpipe caused the damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Understand, but Honda should be fixing that. A Downpipe won’t cause the waste get to stick. Unless it was damaged during the Downpipe installation.

That’s a lot of money to be wasting when warranty should be covering that. Especially if your not tuned. I’m assuming you have the new PRL HV Downpipe which is street legal. I can see the extension on the o2 sensor.
They have to prove the Downpipe caused the damage.
Trust me I have went to Honda coporate over this and thrown the Magnuson Warranty Act all over the place they aren't going to cover anything simply because it was modified. I would have to sue them in court to maybe get a chance at them covering something which might be even more money wasted. Not to mention that would take months if not years to reach a resolution and I need a car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Trust me I have went to Honda coporate over this and thrown the Magnuson Warranty Act all over the place they aren't going to cover anything simply because it was modified. I would have to sue them in court to maybe get a chance at them covering something which might be even more money wasted. Not to mention that would take months if not years to reach a resolution and I need a car.
Man, I would be pissed. I have owned 50 Honda/Acura vehicles, and more than half modified excessively. For them to do that is BS. I honestly would not buy their cars anymore. Sorry that Hondas not helping out because that’s just an exhaust mod. Nothing to do with overboost. The ECU decides boost levels.

Hit up Derf Tuned. Dudes legit. Or even try Phearable, just to see if he’s interested

Reactions: azrael69

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, I would be pissed. I have owned 50 Honda/Acura vehicles, and more than half modified excessively. For them to do that is BS. I honestly would not buy their cars anymore. Sorry that Hondas not helping out because that’s just an exhaust mod. Nothing to do with overboost. The ECU decides boost levels.

Hit up Derf Tuned. Dudes legit. Or even try Phearable, just to see if he’s interested
Normally you are correct however these cars use an electronic wastegate and if that actuator does not function properly either due to sticking, obstructions, or straight failure your wastegate could get stuck in an open position which will cause overboost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also looking into services I think 4Piston offers taking your cores and building it out. I think for street/performance build it would be around 5k. But that engine would definitely NOT be stock anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I am going to make a very long sad story short hopefully. I have a 2021 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T which last month I brought into service for a P0304 error. Turns out after failing a compression test on cylinder 4 (60psi/110psi) I most likely have a bent rod. The dealership also did a $1000 tear down to further inspect the damage but only took off the head. There appears to be some damage to cams as well with signs of heat rash. Unfortunately because honda saw a downpipe on my car they declined my warranty claim no questions asked even though it has a cat on the downpipe. To get my car up and running in a timely manner I purchased a used engine from qualityengines.com for around 3k with 8k miles on it and I am having a shop install it for roughly $1700. Honda return the car back to me in pieces and I have to figure out what to keep in engine swap.

Reason for this post is I do not know what I should do with my broken engine as it only has 3,300 miles on it and is practically brand new in every way except cams and 1 piston/rod. The way I see it I can either build it back stock or aftermarket or sell as is. I am open to other suggestions.

I live in Orlando FL and I am having a hard time finding good engine builder shops. I was wondering if some of you guys could give me some guidence on what path I should take with my original engine.

View attachment 7658

View attachment 7656

View attachment 7657

View attachment 7660
View attachment 7661
View attachment 7662
View attachment 7663
Also looking into services I think 4Piston offers taking your cores and building it out. I think for street/performance build it would be around 5k. But that engine would definitely NOT be stock anymore.
If you haven't already, go to Asian Motors in Davie, Florida. Talk to Ivan, one of the owners. Tell him Saul sent you. Blessings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you haven't already, go to Asian Motors in Davie, Florida. Talk to Ivan, one of the owners. Tell him Saul sent you. Blessings.
Thanks Saul,

I have not contacted a builder yet she is still chilling in my garage.

I ended up getting a 20k mile engine from a donor car that was hit in the back from Cocoa Salvage. It is running smooth. I do still want to build the engine out though so I will prob reach out to those guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would the Fact that an Injector got stuck or Leaned Out or Bad Fuel - what Caused number 4 to be Damaged ?

Honda say what was cause - ( Your Tune ) did It ?
Honda never cared to prove anything they just said "looks like it was tuned and had aftermarket downpipe" this was reason enough for them to decline claim.

I believe it failed due to wastegate issue in combination with tune. I dont think tune just itself could have bent a rod.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
So a Boost Spike , If I'm Reading You Correctly ?

Normally you are correct however these cars use an electronic wastegate and if that actuator does not function properly either due to sticking, obstructions, or straight failure your wastegate could get stuck in an open position which will cause overboost.

Don't You Mean in Closed Position - ie - On Waste Gate ~ Sir ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stuck open = no boost.
Stuck closed = unable to vent excess boost.

It's an electronic wastegate actuator, not a mechanical one. Failure to confirm a signal would've put the car in limp mode (you can confirm this by unplugging it) and failure to vent enough boost would've been reported by the MAP sensors and the ECU would've pulled timing.

This failure is suspicious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stuck open = no boost.
Stuck closed = unable to vent excess boost.

It's an electronic wastegate actuator, not a mechanical one. Failure to confirm a signal would've put the car in limp mode (you can confirm this by unplugging it) and failure to vent enough boost would've been reported by the MAP sensors and the ECU would've pulled timing.

This failure is suspicious.
Whatever it was caused the car to overboost and detonation which AFTER it went into limp mode. Damage was done at that point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts