2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Tuesday everyone lol.

I was on another thread talking about some potential mods I’d like to do on my 2.0 AT.
I noticed that ktuner ecu tunes are pretty common mod... but he pointed out that it has potential to blow my turbo/engine when running on stock turbocharger.
I don’t plan to drag race it or push it so hard.. I do use some extra power when pulling off the line or chasing people around the freeway but I never redline it or punch it through the rev limit, ever.

Should I be worried running stage 1 or 2 ktuner on a 2.0t AT with stock parts? Would it be better or worse with full exhaust kit and better intake? Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
You’re undoubtedly going to hear a lot of different opinions. For what it’s worth I have a stage 2 tune on a 2.0 AT, Takeda cold air intake (otherwise stock), drive similar to what you describe, and haven’t experienced any issues. KTuner allows you to go wild with the base tunes, so I imagine if you do, all bets are off. You may already be aware of this, but keep in mind you’ll likely void your drivetrain warranty if you install the tune. Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
560 Posts
I was on your other thread and recommended the KTuner. RTracey is right, you would likely void the powertrain warranty even if you flash back to stock before returning to the dealer. Also right about getting lots of mixed opinions. There's always a risk/reward with any aftermarket part, especially a tune. Run datalogs and watch for fuel trims and Kcon to make sure they stay within spec. Do your regular maintenance and don't go racing every day and you're likely to not run into issues. Have to do what feels comfortable though. Do your research and come to an educated decision. I am an advocate for tuning but I know the risks and I've done dyno tuning first hand so I'm a little more comfortable with it. KTuner offers a state 1 and 2 tune with the flash device. you can also run the dual tune which allows you to run stock boost levels with improved throttle and turbo response in "normal" and get your high boost settings when you hit the "sport" button. this gives you options to drive the car normally and have most power on tap with just the press of a button when you want it. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
Lunar Silver 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
341 Posts
Doing any modifications to your car can void the warranty. As for KTuner or Hondata, they are pretty solid companies and offer a lot of advice.

Modding has its rewards and risks, just depends if your willing to take risks :)

Reactions: Mr.2.g0

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was on your other thread and recommended the KTuner. RTracey is right, you would likely void the powertrain warranty even if you flash back to stock before returning to the dealer. Also right about getting lots of mixed opinions. There's always a risk/reward with any aftermarket part, especially a tune. Run datalogs and watch for fuel trims and Kcon to make sure they stay within spec. Do your regular maintenance and don't go racing every day and you're likely to not run into issues. Have to do what feels comfortable though. Do your research and come to an educated decision. I am an advocate for tuning but I know the risks and I've done dyno tuning first hand so I'm a little more comfortable with it. KTuner offers a state 1 and 2 tune with the flash device. you can also run the dual tune which allows you to run stock boost levels with improved throttle and turbo response in "normal" and get your high boost settings when you hit the "sport" button. this gives you options to drive the car normally and have most power on tap with just the press of a button when you want it. Just something to think about.
Thanks brother. Is there somewhere I can go to look at dual tuning. This fits my driving personality perfectly.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks brother. Is there somewhere I can go to look at dual tuning. This fits my driving personality perfectly.
It may suit you to buy the V2 that comes with the screen so you can keep an eye on all your live data. but check out all your options and we're all more than willing to lend our experience and advice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check my thread out i made a few weeks ago. I was running stock parts on the stage 2.0 dual tune for about a week. Got on it hard in day. Turbo imploded. Don't know if the tune did it or what. But fortunately Honda covered the repairs. Just got the car back yesterday. Ended up having the Turbo, inlet and outlet hoses replace, along with the intercooler and catalytic converter and spark plugs. If Honda didn't save me. I would've been up the creek. I did flash back to stock before the tow truck arrived. But I dont think Honda was actually checking the ecu. Tune at your own risk!. If I do refresh I might only try the stage 1, or even trade for a Hondata Flashpro.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Check my thread out i made a few weeks ago. I was running stock parts on the stage 2.0 dual tune for about a week. Got on it hard in day. Turbo imploded. Don't know if the tune did it or what. But fortunately Honda covered the repairs. Just got the car back yesterday. Ended up having the Turbo, inlet and outlet hoses replace, along with the intercooler and catalytic converter and spark plugs. If Honda didn't save me. I would've been up the creek. I did flash back to stock before the tow truck arrived. But I dont think Honda was actually checking the ecu. Tune at your own risk!. If I do refresh I might only try the stage 1, or even trade for a Hondata Flashpro.
how long were you tuned for?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yea, I got lucky. But I think what happened to me was rare and for all I know, I could've had a failing turbo before I even flashed the car.
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking. I had my Si with the 1.5 tuned for over 6k miles without issue and I'm 1500 miles tuned on my 2.0 sport with no issues. **** just happens sometimes but it sounds like you got the best of a bad situation

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking. I had my Si with the 1.5 tuned for over 6k miles without issue and I'm 1500 miles tuned on my 2.0 sport with no issues. **** just happens sometimes but it sounds like you got the best of a bad situation
With your 2.0 do you ever open her up on the interstate?. Thats how my turbo failed apparently. Was going 70 and wanted to pass a group of cars. So I put it in sport and stepped on it. Got up to about 85-90mph and the car wouldn't **** up. Just stayed at 5k Rpm. So I let off the gas of course and used the paddle shifters to make sure the tranny was ok. It switched between gears just fine, but a mile later the car just died. The rest was history.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like you got lucky there with the Engineers over at Honda. I may put off on the ecu tune until I upgrade my turbo

·
Registered
560 Posts
With your 2.0 do you ever open her up on the interstate?. Thats how my turbo failed apparently. Was going 70 and wanted to pass a group of cars. So I put it in sport and stepped on it. Got up to about 85-90mph and the car wouldn't **** up. Just stayed at 5k Rpm. So I let off the gas of course and used the paddle shifters to make sure the tranny was ok. It switched between gears just fine, but a mile later the car just died. The rest was history.
Yeah, I definitely do. I haven't had anything weird happen. It's weird that you could still run thru the gears with the paddles after that until it just cut out and died. You didn't hear anything before it happened? No compressor surge/flutter, nothing weird?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, I definitely do. I haven't had anything weird happen. It's weird that you could still run thru the gears with the paddles after that until it just cut out and died. You didn't hear anything before it happened? No compressor surge/flutter, nothing weird?
Didn't hear anything. My windows were down as well. Just sounded like the car was holding gear and would shift at rims I believe the car was in 5th the gear at the time. I use the tuner view to monitor what gear I'm in when not useing the paddles. But no crazy noise or flutter.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Didn't hear anything. My windows were down as well. Just sounded like the car was holding gear and would shift at rims I believe the car was in 5th the gear at the time. I use the tuner view to monitor what gear I'm in when not useing the paddles. But no crazy noise or flutter.
you would think you would hear something. i've gotten on mine plenty without any problems, crazy how it happened on yours tho.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.