2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking - Good Ways to Lower Weight of Honda Accord - Design Wise ~

1.Dry Cell Battery , If it was Large enough and came with Trickle Charger - Wireless_ly Charged = Thoughts

2. Foam Tire Refill Can - Kit to Eliminate Spare Tire and Jack = Thoughts

3. Aluminum Trunk or Carbon Fiber Roof = Thoughts

ps: I Notices some Data that seemed to Suggest that Accord Sport Auto 10x has 3.89 Ratio in 2020 vs Final Gear 3.54 ~ in Touring & LX-Navi as in 2018.
Also for 2019 it looks Navigation is Gone Except on a loaded Touring Accord .. = Thoughts

·
Registered
65 Posts
The driver is a good start.

Reactions: azrael69

·
Registered
21 Posts
All of those are pretty good, but you'd only really be saving 40-50 kg if I had to guess. Not sure if you'd really see that much of a performance increase for the added cost. These cars are already pretty light for their size.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly does this mean? 3.89 ratio vs 3.54
That's the gearing ratios. Higher gearing means higher RPMs at a given speed and generally means worse fuel economy when all else is equal. My guess is that Honda changed the gearing on different trims depending on engine displacement and fuel economy standards. So for example, when looking at the 6-spd options, the 1.5T has a 4.10 final drive, while my 2.0T has a 3.84.

However, I am looking at Honda's own website and it's listing the 2020 10-spd final drive as 3.55. Not sure which data OP is referring to that suggests otherwise.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of those are pretty good, but you'd only really be saving 40-50 kg if I had to guess. Not sure if you'd really see that much of a performance increase for the added cost. These cars are already pretty light for their size.
That's the gearing ratios. Higher gearing means higher RPMs at a given speed and generally means worse fuel economy when all else is equal. My guess is that Honda changed the gearing on different trims depending on engine displacement and fuel economy standards. So for example, when looking at the 6-spd options, the 1.5T has a 4.10 final drive, while my 2.0T has a 3.84.

However, I am looking at Honda's own website and it's listing the 2020 10-spd final drive as 3.55. // I was looking at Accord Sport with 10X Option , I'll look again ~
But what Gets Me ~
All Auto manufacture have had Lighter weight Rotors and Longer Lasting Brake Components available to them for 11 + yrs. that's Rolling Weight , also the Wheels Certainly they could Contract with one of the Better Names in Quality & still get 5-6 Lb lighter Wheels , Yet what they all did and did @ same Time was Dump CD Players ~ those only weight about 2lbs ..
Dump Nav ~ which when Combined with CD - Player might be another 2lbs , Oh Yes all @ Same Time ~ Push Navigation ~ All the Way to Very Top $5K more in Expense in last 3-4 yr.
Now it's Leaving all together ? ( Sorry but Apps & Data Plans don't Cut It ! ) Especially in the Mountains !

Electric Power Steering certainly is good , but it save them on a lot on Less Parts , Less Drag = more MPG which means Less Fines to Pay to Governments ..

ZZzzz
Oh to above Comment ? about Gearing ~ ( What does this Mean ) "3.89 Ratio in 2020 vs Final Gear 3.54" in 2019 ~ Pretty Much what it states .. Maybe
it was just Me Hoping out-loud that 4 OD Gears in 10X Transmission might me Great for Texas , AZ , etc. Not so much for TN , NY , PA , VA , MO , WI , AK , ME , etc. where Roads have Hills . .

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think it's about parts/technology availability. I'm sure it's mostly about cost. They could've gone with fully forged wheels to reduce 30-40% of unsprung weight over the stock cast wheels, but it would cost at least an extra $1000 per vehicle. It would only be enthusiasts like us who notice. Same with brake rotors. Most consumers only care that the brakes work to stop their vehicles. Doesn't make sense to increase production costs for stuff like that since you would likely have to pass that on to your customers and make the car more expensive.

Also I'm not sure who makes the Accord wheels, but I do know that Honda does contract Enkei along with a lot of other reputable wheel manufacturers to make their wheels. It's not like they're manufacturing it themselves.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets See Navigation is Gone from 2020 EL Accord Listings , Oh My that Must be Weight Savings from Honda ~ It's more Corp. BS

If Honda stepped Up to anyone of _ Special Wheel Companies said Were going to Oder 10,000 - 15K Sets of Wheels for 2020 on these 2 Models ..
Price to Honda for those Wheels would be Way , Way Lower !

All Car Manufactures have had Light weight Brake Calipers that Knock Off 40 lbs ,been around for 20 years that will hold up just as Good , now that may cost more ..
money . .

Wheels would get rid of another 30 lbs of Crucial weight ..

Resin's / Recycles Plastic / Cork for Rear Seat Design - could shave some 15 lbs just that is 85lbs .

Sun Roof's should be Made from - Special Poly carbonate which has been "Tested by Auto Safety Industry" and found to be - Stronger then Glass
During all Accidents ~ Especially Roll Overs ~ Once Done Cost Factor in 3 Years would Pay for itself .. Weights saving 8-10 Lbs

Auto Industry isn't getting "Real" - all they are doing is Answering to some Stock Holding , Union Advised Broad about Profits !
Weight Saving Now is 100 More Important as Electric Powered and Smaller Motors Become the Norm ~

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at Gearing just Look at Ford 2.3Turbo with 10 Speed Auto ~ compare those Gears Sets in Trans - that - Car is Rolling way Heavier Brakes and Wheels of which have
Way Larger Diameters - you'll Note that Seventh Gear is able to be Wound all the way out ..

Back to Weight : these Light Weight Testing materials were Passed with Flying Colors 11 Years ago see Links :

:cool:RESEARCH: Polycarbonate auto glazing offers designers new vision

Automotive Polycarbonate Glazing Market to Reach ~US$ 4.5 Bn by 2027

·
Registered
80 Posts
If your just looking to go faster at the track then pull the spare tire, passenger seat, rear seats both back and bottom. For every day look at lighter wheels and smaller tires to remove up to 15lbs per wheel. I don’t think any of this is worth it in the long run because the car will not be near as comfortable or look near as good....lol

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
If your just looking to go faster at the track then pull the spare tire, passenger seat, rear seats both back and bottom. For every day look at lighter wheels and smaller tires to remove up to 15lbs per wheel. I don’t think any of this is worth it in the long run because the car will not be near as comfortable or look near as good....lol
Exactly!!! Unless a person is all out racing the car and not using it for street use IMO it's not an issue worth putting a lot of time/money into.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not Concerned with Going 168 Mph , but It would be Nice If the Auto Industry wasn't Leading Us down some ( Rosy Glass Highway ) of - BS
as many of these Items should have been Common Place Years Ago ~ Other Points about - Items - Removed or Only available in Top Tier - Price List ~ 2-3 Lbs for CD Player
Has everything to Profit Margins and Nothing to do with Customers would Like to Check Off on Their Option List .. Further Demonstrating .. Auto Industry isn't Bringing Items to the Table
Too Seriously Improve MPG ..

I'd say Honda's Big Improvement is 10X Transmission that Items does Shave Weight and Improve Comfort & Mpg - Plus for Honda Engineers . .
I don't see Why it takes 11-15 years to bring other Items , Like the Lightweight much stronger Poly-carbonate Rear Window Wind Screens , Sun Roofs would be 30 lbs Savings
High Up above the Belt Line savings ..

My First statement is Based on Desert Storm - Military need a Cave Busting Bomb - they didn't have one .. it took few engineers and few Builders to Bring Cave Penetrating Bomb
that would Go through 30 ft of Reinforced Concrete and or Fly Down a Cave Opening ..it took 6 months have this Product Going Out the Door to be Loaded on Planes ..

Auto Industry has many more Tools and Assembly Methods and third world Labor Markets to Produce Items .. Yet it takes 11-15 years to Bring it - that's - BS
in 2001 a 2 million Dollar Grant was given to Company in NYS to Develop Mass Production of Lightweight Carbon-fiber Break Rotors that was very Successful , Bought Out
Never Heard from Again , as Brakes would Last 125,000 miles ..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Man somehow after reading all this I suddenly had a dream of taking the 2.0 Engine and the 10 Speed trans and stuffing it into a much small car/lighter car.

Does ANYONE have any info about the possibility of doing this? No joke, I am absolutely in love with the 10 speed trans and wonder what sort of cars it could fit into.

·
Administrator
2,546 Posts
...Does ANYONE have any info about the possibility of doing this? No joke, I am absolutely in love with the 10 speed trans and wonder what sort of cars it could fit into.
With some tools and time anything is capable. ?

Build a custom frame for the car of your choice so the 2.0 motor and 10 speed transmission will fit in it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was just wondering if they had a nifty list of what existing Honda's might be able to take that swap.

Have seen some forums with pretty detailed lists of Engine swaps that can "easily" be done. At the same time I almost cannot fathom this package in a car that weighs considerably less.

IF I could buy the trans and engine and stuff it in my old 98 Civic, I absolutely would lol

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I Hear that ~ so while the Auto Industry Jacks Us off _ in Lue of Real Improvements - that should have Happened in Last 20 Years ..
It's Possible a ECO Tune & Very Light wheel / Tire combo might be enough to Keep the Accord 10X from all Extra Shifting in Mountains Roads with it's Current Gear set up ..
I Feel are only Semi Hilly - Not Real Big Mountains , but all that extra shifting does Burn Fuel .. ( Real Life ) Use ..

I have seen a Video where someone took R Type and Stuffed it into an Older Smaller ~ much ~ Light Car - No Performance Video's Yet !
Weighty Items Indeed ..LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts