2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently bought an Hybrid Accord Touring model because I wanted the better MPG vs. horsepower of the 2.0T. I am driving like a granny and I'm only able to get 35-37 MPG mixed driving. I'm not flooring it and drive pretty conservative. I only have 800 miles on the car, but this seems abnormal as most people are getting at least low 40s.

To say the least, I am very disappointed in the MPG. Do you think I have a bad battery?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I couldn't be more disappointed in a car than my 2018 Accord Hybrid. What a joke............mpg sucks. Wish I had gone with the Toyota Camry Hybrid. But what makes my blood boil is Honda's attitude. I have extensively communicated my poor mpg with my local dealer and Honda Corp. and no one is offering to help. My local dealer cannot even test the hybrid battery; and I am about 95% sure the problem is with the battery since it will only go four tenths of a mile when battery is fully charged and going only 25 mph. My Accord mpg has dropped even more now that I have 2500 miles on it.............only getting 37.4 mpg. I rented a NON Hybrid 2018 Accord for a comparison, and guess what? I got 45 mpg on the interstate going 70 mph, and 35 mpg in town. That is actually better than my Hybrid mpg. My next move will be with the news media.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased an Accord Hybrid Touring and have about 1000 miles on it. I can tell you there is zero chance this vehicle can achieve 47.0 mpg on the highway. Even driving at consistently between 50-57 mph, it can bare achieve 40 mpg at best. When I test drove the same model for over 3 hours one afternoon , I was able to get combined 51+. I am as conservative a driver as you will find and I can’t see how my car is going to get anywhere near a 47.0 mpg combined. Do I have any choices but to suffer? My 2016 standard civic get 40.0 mpg the way I drive. I’m so frustrated right now. Any comments would be great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
While I am happy with the car, I have been surprised by the highway gas mileage. My commute is mostly highway driving and the speed limit is 70 mph. I average about 37 mpg. I’ve had the car for about 2 month and have about 3600 miles. I usual drive in the right lane as most of the traffic is doing 80 mph and I’m doing 70 - 71 mph to try to get better mileage. This has surprised me as my last car was a 2013 Lexus GS450h Hybrid. It was rated for 29 city and 34 highway. I always exceeded the city mileage and often exceeded the highway mileage driving 75 to 80 mph. I usually averaged about 35 mpg for my commute. This was a 338 hp, 4050 lb car. I’m only doing a couple of mpg better. The small amount of city driving does return much better results. I often see mid 40s but don’t do enough city driving to bring the overall average up very much. As I stated earlier, I’m happy with the car. I would love to achieve the rated mileage but it seems this car was not designed to drive real world highway speeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem I get 37 mpg at most. Never have even touched 40 and I have drivin almost 1000 miles. I am very freaking annoyed. Because the whole reason I got this car was because it’s suppose to get 47 mpg. I am going to the dealership tomorrow because I am not okay with this. Have you guys tried that yet? Your opinion?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Probably because the heater is keeping the battery depleted
Cabin heat is always free with an internal combustion engine going. They are operating at a maximum of 35% efficiency and the rest is wasted by the radiator and the hot water heater in your car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This report applies more to a plug-in hybrid that operates on battery energy alone for extended periods. Most regular hybrids operate only briefly on battery alone. The hot water heater is always available. When a plug-in operates on battery energy cabin heat needs to come from another source...resistance heaters and/or heat pumps are used. The use of which will reduce the range on battery power. The battery efficiency of both these hybrids and especially battery only cars drops dramatically in the winter. I am surprised that all forms of electric cars and hybrids are selling so well in Canada.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar concerns from the central California coast with daytime highs almost always between 59 and 69 degrees F. I get about 39 MPG no matter what I do driving around my area. When I took the car to So Cal and drove in traffic, I got it up to 44 for a couple of trips (less than 20 miles, all in-town from traffic signal to traffic signal). But if I have to go up any hill or accelerate to 60-ish, I can't break the 40 cap despite trying tips like using the paddle get extra engine deceleration/battery charging. 39.1 average lifetime on the car with 2200 miles on it is a little disappointing given the extra spend on the hybrid model expecting IT to figure out how to get 45 on a regular basis (I know EPA estimates can be off, but 20% lower all the time is quite a bit). Like most everything else about the car though...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 2018 Accord EX-L in late August and now have around 5500 mi on the odometer. On my 38 mile commute to work in warmer weather, I would average in the low-mid 50's on the way in and mid 40's on the way home (I live 650 ft higher elevation than work). Overall, I was running around 47 - 47.5MPG average for the first couple of months. Less if my wife was driving it.
Once the weather turned cold, the engine runs a lot more to heat the cabin. Now that it is getting very cold (at or below freezing), I also notice the engine may run even with a pretty high charge on the battery and very low or no load. I don't know if Honda uses the engine to warm the battery but that is what I suspect. The car doesn't give you any feedback as to why the engine is starting even though the battery is heavily charged and there is little or no load. Anyhow, my overall mileage has been slipping and I am down to 44mpg since I have bought the car. I can no longer hit the MPG I did which is kind of a bummer. I should look into how the hybrid MPG's are tested. I suspect I will see it start to go back up next April when the weather warms up. We will see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Poor Mileage on 2018 Accord Hybrid EX-L

Hi all, just joined this forum. In late September 2018 my wife and I purchased a 2018 Honda Pilot and a 2018 Honda Accord EX-L Hybrid. The Pilot seems to be a decent vehicle, but the Accord is useless! I drive so conservatively in the Accord that I may incite road rage while trying to approach the 47/47 MPG advertised by Honda. So far I can only get around 35-36 MPG (my wife gets considerably less). I keep the car in a heated garage and I have even driven with all electronics (radio, heater, etc.) off trying to get better MPG. It now has 2,100 miles on it and is at the dealership for the 2nd time. They say everything is fine (I set the trip odometer and on their 6.6 mile drive they only averaged 23 MPG!) Their solution is to offer me a 2019 model for $12,500 plus my 2018. I can get around 1/2 mile in EV mode at 25 MPH, level ground, when the pack is at ~80%, it has never charged beyond 80%! I have no confidence in this vehicle, I should have just gone with a regular touring model. I previously had a 2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, and it was a great car, I always exceeded the 40 MPG advertised.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This may be unrelated and I doubt that with so many people having issues this will apply to many folks but:

I just got my Accord Sport 1.5t and was getting like 22-24mpg during the first couple hundred miles. Before contacting the dealer I figured I'd check my tire pressure and sure enough they were all 10psi too low. I was quite frustrated that they didn't see this during PDI but, whatever. Instantly picked up 5-7mpg on my same trip through town in the same conditions.

I know it's a dumb thing to check but, it's worth a quick look just in case it's something you haven't considered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tire pressure was one of the first things I thought of as well. I asked the dealership to check them and also insure they rotated easily. The on-board interface tells me the individual pressure in each of the 4 tires on my Pilot, but not on the Accord Car is at the dealership again and I asked them to check them again.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have suspected the HV battery pack is the reason I'm getting such poor gas mileage, I hope this is related. Perhaps it should be in a new thread though.

I just went out to get the mail and I found a letter from Honda:

Emissions Recall: 2018 Accord Hybrid High-Voltage Battery Software

On some 2018 Accord Hybrid vehicles, if an incorrect high voltage (HV) battery is installed the DTC P0A80 (Replace Hybrid Battery Pack) will be set. If the correct HV battery is subsequently installed, the DTC P0A80 cannot be cleared as required and may lead to a failed Inspection and Maintenance test. The new software version eliminates this issue.

My vehicle is at the dealership, so I'll call them tomorrow and let them know I received this. Wouldn't you think they'd just check for this stuff when the car was in for issues? I'll probably have to make another appointment...

1 - 20 of 85 Posts