2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know how much you guys paid to have your lowering spring install. I called three performance shops in my area and the cost ranges from $420 up to $700 plus.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
111 Posts
that actually isn't bad, especially if alignment is included. straight book time for pulling front struts to replace springs and swapping rear springs is 6.5 hours. hourly rate were I'm at is fairly low and it still comes in at 780. don't know how a performance shop charges over your standard mechanic who will use a labor guide like us. i'd take the 400 and run considering the amount of work that goes into doing the front.

·
Registered
Lunar Silver 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
80 Posts
That is crazy high. You're better off doing it yourself. Really not hard, especially the rear. Then go get it aligned.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That is crazy high. You're better off doing it yourself. Really not hard, especially the rear. Then go get it aligned.
I do agree with the do it yourself part. The rears are crazy easy. You're going to pay a bunch at a shop because most places will run by a labor guide time. Get your hands dirty, its addicting haha you'll be doing all your own mods in no time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I do agree with the do it yourself part. The rears are crazy easy. You're going to pay a bunch at a shop because most places will run by a labor guide time. Get your hands dirty, its addicting haha you'll be doing all your own mods in no time.
Best part about doing it yourself. If issues come down the road, you'll know how to troubleshoot them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Best part about doing it yourself. If issues come down the road, you'll know how to troubleshoot them.
ain't that the truth. I hate going behind someone else's work. to each their own though. just make sure you trust the shop doing the work and that they'll stand behind it, especialyl with a performance mod.

·
Registered
50 Posts
OP your prices are aligning whats being charged here in MT. Ive only called 3 spots so far but these are the prices ive gotten so far (including alignment)

1. $821 (they buy springs)
2. $575
3. $700

Doing it yourself might be for some might not for others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post here. What I plan to do for my install is go to a shock/strut supplier we have here in Jamaica. They charge ~$15 per shock to remove shocks and test them to see if they need replacing and in doing so they remove the springs. So i was planning to go in for testing all four shocks then just ask the tech to install the lowering springs when they're putting things back together. 🤣

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you just putting in springs, or are you swapping the shocks and struts as well? Are they fully assembled and ready to go, or are you wanting the shop to assemble them as well?

You don’t necessarily need a performance shop to install lowering springs.... any competent mechanic would be able to do it. ****, you could do it in your driveway if you have the tools, time, and patience. You don’t need a lot of specialty tools to do springs. I finally sprung (pun intended) for a set of spring compressors and did the struts on my other car last year. Sure, a spring compressor stand would’ve been a lot easier, but the hand crank clamp on things worked just fine.

If you want to check another local shop for a quote try Dawson’s auto on Rt. 7 near Bailey’s Crossroads. They’re attached to a Liberty gas station. They’re not going to be doing custom performance work and fabrication, but they’re fine for general wrenching jobs. They’re also fine with people bringing their own parts in vs. requiring you to purchase from them. Been using them for years on multiple cars, and they generally go out of their way to not overcharge me, and not go on a crazy part replacing spree. Multiple times they’ve tried to do minimal work to address a problem, or have pointed out things which may need replacement later, but are perfectly fine for right now. Manager’s name is George.

Side note on them, they’ve also never hassled me about tint when going for inspections.

EDIT: They don’t do alignments, so you’d still need to go somewhere else to get that done. Every suspension replacements they’ve done on my cars they’ve tried hard to get things in alignment when installing, and they’re generally really close. If you’re like me and drive in and out of DC, and on crappy NoVA streets a lot you may want to spring for a Firestone lifetime alignment. Pays for itself after two alignments, and you can do one every six months, or whenever a component/part requirement an alignment is done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts