2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone experienced the headlights blinking when the bass hits after installing a 5ch amp? If so, did changing larger wires (big 3) fix it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Has anyone experienced the headlights blinking when the bass hits after installing a 5ch amp? If so, did changing larger wires (big 3) fix it?
I’m running the keyword xr 901.5. I have not experienced any light dimming at night. What amp are you running?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Two things. 1 Axxess now offers AX-DSP-X And also the axdspxL. The ”L” is a lite version with only 6 channels of output and only a 15 band eq Vs a 31 band eq. Will probably be a bit less expensive too.
2. Make sure you turn off the stock eq in the secret menus. It will make it easier to eq and greatly increase the midbass. I’m going to re-eq now that I’ve found that feature but it already sounds a bit better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cool my problem is I hate to spend the money for the axessdsp if I plan on using a audiocontrol dsp. So how does your system sound and are you using a axess dsp. I'm thinking of going full active tweeter and mid front ,coaxial in rear and 1 sub. I want to do time alignment and all but can't figure what to do with center channel. Also I am planning morel tempo ultras and maybe a skar sub. I want it to sound good but able to hit hard.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I do notice not having the center channel, compared to our lexus, but I don't miss it at all . I think the trouble/cost of finding another amp to add a single 3 inch speaker is not worth it to me. I think the center fix can be solved with time alignment honestly. plus the morels do such a great job of filling the cabin, I don't think you are missing much.

Although I have the touring - I've never used the factory NAV so I'm not 100% sure if it still comes through but all of the other chimes, carplay, siri still works so i'm sure its fine. There is NO functionality loss at all.

I am running into a problem where I get amplifier turn on POP, I need to call metra to get that figured out.

Let me describe the stages of my build and that will help describe how i feel about the morels:

First I did the speakers and sound deadening and drove around for two days with the stock power. My thoughts are there is a huge difference in a high-quality tweeter. Even on stock power, there was so much more "life" to the high - so much more articulation to the music. the mid bass just wasn't there even with sound deadening.

Then I added in the metra piece and the kenwood amp. Then I thought the same thing honestly, great highs and lack of midbass. I did notice a better "fill" of the cabin though.

Then I adjusted the crossovers and the equalizer. This is really where you get the juice out of the moreIs. If you just replace the speakers the stock tune coming out of the headunit still limits the amount of low frequency going to the mid-bass. you MUST change the crossovers and eq to get the money out of the morels. and yes they are AMAZING. You can honestly run these without a sub and it will still have a good amount of bass.

The only draw back is the music types. I listen to alot of rap so the tweeter isnt as bright on high hats and other "brighter" instruments (obviously). When I listen to R&B/Soul/Country anything else, these really come alive.

so yes, they are amazing, but depending on the music you listen to, make sure a soft dome tweeter is what you want.

I'm running them passive. The crossovers for the fronts are under the passenger seat with the amp (the kenwood amp is super small) and the crossovers for the rears are in the dash on an ABS plastic mounting board connected to the ANC module bolt.

Feel free to reach out with questions!
I installed some Morel Maximo 6 in the front doors this week and have to agree with the above statement. They are great for some types of music, clean great midbass compare to stock, overall much much better. I have a psu300 as well so they are getting enough power. The highs are just missing something for me. I bought them with the knowledge that they might not be right for my liking, and that I may throw them in the rear deck (especially for the price). I know they are not the ultras but from what I read the Maximo are the older versions of them basically. I much prefer a silk dome tweeter like I had on some really good Focals years ago. I have been waiting a month for silicone baffles. When they finally arrive think I'm going to try a set of Kicker's in the front(base hybrid only has four 6.5 speakers, no independent tweets in the upper door) simply because I never tried their products and they get great reviews.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you. I Have the 2019 accord touring so does axess piece go before amp or after. And I dont use the navigation on head unit i use android audio with my phone for that so if center channel is not being used were does the navigation sound come from in your car. Did you have to set it to do that or does it do it automatically.?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also turn on pop could be amp gain set to high.Does your amp have a turn on delay.If i remember right I belive there is somthing you can do the axess dsp to fix that. I belive 5 star said somthing about it in one of there videos on YouTube. Try looking for there video for axess dsp or honda.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
For the Axxess dsp I completely removed the stock amp. The Axxess dsp sits in place of the amp and takes all of the amp connections. i think it sounds 10x better than stock, even with running both the fronts and rear passive. I’m running the tweeter crossover @+2 db and it makes a huge difference vs when I was running them flat. I time aligned to the mid bass and for me I feel like it’s doing a great job. I would say that the temp ultras are much more than newer maximos though. They’re nearly 2x the weight and have a much deeper sound. You can tell the maximos in the rear are more efficient and have a hollowed sound if that makes sense. They sound better than stock for sure, just different than the tempos. Turn on pop comes and goes so I’m not really sure what it is to be honest. I may run my remote to an actual accessory rather than the axxess to see if that fixes it.
you may get “fuller” sound from the audio control dsp, but i when looking at the rta on the factory system I feel it may be too messed up to easily get it where you want. also, the 5 star guys have said that due to all pass filters and other factory issues; going after the stock amp is a bit harder unless you are going to amplify and dsp each of the factory channels individually. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
also, the Axxess dsp automagically routes the center channel sound to the front doors. the thing just works man and does what it’s supposed to do. I’m handy but not a tech so having a plug and play option was well worth the money for me. You can still use the dsp as a pre amp into the audio control. Sucks to spend that much money to get rca outputs but honestly I couldn’t image taking my car apart, doing all the work and it still just not sounding right. Also not having to cut wires was a big plus for me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
also, the Axxess dsp automagically routes the center channel sound to the front doors. the thing just works man and does what it’s supposed to do. I’m handy but not a tech so having a plug and play option was well worth the money for me. You can still use the dsp as a pre amp into the audio control. Sucks to spend that much money to get rca outputs but honestly I couldn’t image taking my car apart, doing all the work and it still just not sounding right. Also not having to cut wires was a big plus for me.
That's where I'm at. It's not worth the money for me to tear apart everything and mess with a dsp (even though I would probably enjoy the improved sound), especially with the hybrid. So also don't see a point in spending a ton on speakers like I have in the past, if I can't actually get the best sound out of them without doing a dsp. Plus as I'm older now my priorities are also a little different. Good to know about the Maximo I'll probably wind up putting sound proofing on the rear decknwhen i do it. I did the driver door and still have a rattle but I didn't go overboard. I like how you have strips on the back of the door panel. Any reason why just little bits in those spots? Im guessing that those are the contact points that can cause noises. When all is said and done, I'll have spent about $650 for everything including my added sirius XM radio for significantly improved sound. My last set of Focals cost close to that (got open box deal on the psu300).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks keep us updated on the turn on pop.Im in the process of trying to find were to order the axxessdsp part now metra online only sell to dealers.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thanks keep us updated on the turn on pop.Im in the process of trying to find were to order the axxessdsp part now metra online only sell to dealers.
Also according to couple stereo installers I talked to last week, metra is having supply issues. Apparently a few factories in China burnt down. Waiting almost a month now for silicone baffles, installer told me he's been waiting 3 months for a harness.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Also according to couple stereo installers I talked to last week, metra is having supply issues. Apparently a few factories in China burnt down. Waiting almost a month now for silicone baffles, installer told me he's been waiting 3 months for a harness.
It looks like its in stock on Sonic Electronix AXDSPX-HN3 | Honda DSP Interface With Amp Bypass | Axxess

I called the shop owner for 5 star in clearwater fl and got it from there.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I saw that change this week actually. I'm considering ordering them from Sonic or ebay and just cancelling the Best buy order.

Edit: he was talking about a harness in general he had been waiting not necessarily that particular one for our vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had nothing but issues with that metra DSP for my 2018 accord touring. Already had it warrantied and replaced and now recently it somehow managed to kill my brand new DD audio 4 channel amp. If i turn my boss knob up/down, the mids randomly come back on, but sound horrible. Before the warrant replacement I was getting all sorts of random feedback issues. There has got to be a different way to grab a audio signal for my bass/4channel amps. Can't you just tap into the speaker wiring post amp?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've had nothing but issues with that metra DSP for my 2018 accord touring. Already had it warrantied and replaced and now recently it somehow managed to kill my brand new DD audio 4 channel amp. If i turn my boss knob up/down, the mids randomly come back on, but sound horrible. Before the warrant replacement I was getting all sorts of random feedback issues. There has got to be a different way to grab a audio signal for my bass/4channel amps. Can't you just tap into the speaker wiring post amp?
Can't you get the harness separately from metra and wire a different dsp? Pretty sure they sell it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts