2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

Anyone have experience with both the MHI Stage 2 and OEM CTR Turbo on the Accord 2.0?

I really like the idea of both, and they seem like a really fantastic additions to our already amazing K20C4's, but I am wondering if the MHI is worth the extra money

I ultimately plan on only running 93 octane, and I know the turbo is a no brainer upgrade for flex fuel and premium, but with the MHI being almost $1,000 more, will I really see much benefit over the OEM CTR Turbo?

·
Registered
Lunar Silver 2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
341 Posts
Both are Mitsubishi Turbos. The P600 isn’t though. That’s by PRL. The MHI Stage 2 will give you more headroom for more boost. Both on the other end kick in later. There is lag compared to stock. Stock turbo kicks in very early to give you a surge of torque.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You will also need a PRL or RV6 Downpipe. You will need to relocate the 02 sensor.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Font Parallel Rectangle Number Screenshot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All depends on what your power goals are. The mitsu is going to spool faster and have less lag too
Good to know. Honestly I'm just looking to run a full PRL setup (FMIC, downpipe, frontpipe), Thermal exhaust, big turbo, and 93 octane

Was basically going to let D Rob go to town with it

The goal is to get a good amount of power gains without absolutely destroying reliability. Thinking I can reasonably aim for 350-375 HP and get that

If the MHI is more efficient in general I may just go with that

·
Registered
953 Posts
Good to know. Honestly I'm just looking to run a full PRL setup (FMIC, downpipe, frontpipe), Thermal exhaust, big turbo, and 93 octane

The goal is to get a good amount of power gains without absolutely destroying reliability. Thinking I can reasonably aim for 350-375 HP and get that

Personally I would go with the bigger turbo. Yes you will get a little more lag, but overall you have more room to work with, and if your not pushing it as hard it will run cooler. Didn't realize both were Mitsubishi turbo I don't keep up with this stuff like I used to. I heard PRL and upgraded turbo didn't realize they made an upgrade slightly above the ctr turbo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both are Mitsubishi Turbos. The P600 isn’t though. That’s by PRL. The MHI Stage 2 will give you more headroom for more boost. Both on the other end kick in later. There is lag compared to stock. Stock turbo kicks in very early to give you a surge of torque.
Honestly I don;t think I'd mind the bit of turbo lag. Sometimes when driving normally I feel like its a little too easy to get into boost hah

So in terms of reliability, the MHI stage 2 will likely be it since its designed for more power, I wonder how they each compare in terms of lag... hmm

Thanks!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thanks for this, so it seems like the MHI stage 2 is larger in general then but with less blades

I wonder how each compare in terms of efficiency of power delivery... as in which will be able to do more with less if that makes sense
Number of blades is not really important look at the size difference of the wheels. Lag should be a difference of a few hundred rpm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All depends on what your power goals are. The mitsu is going to spool faster and have less lag too

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the CTR turbo on my Accord, including DP, FP, intercooler, intake, exhaust, etc… basically FBO, tuned by Derek Robinson.
I asked him the same thing: is the MHI turbo worth the extra ~$1000? He said unless you plan on running different fuel/different fueling system, there’s really no point as fueling from the stock fuel system/93 alone can only give you so much. The power difference between the CTR turbo and MHI turbo on 93 are very similar and really just not worth the $1000 difference if you’re not changing your fueling.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have the CTR turbo on my Accord, including DP, FP, intercooler, intake, exhaust, etc… basically FBO, tuned by Derek Robinson.
I asked him the same thing: is the MHI turbo worth the extra ~$1000? He said unless you plan on running different fuel/different fueling system, there’s really no point as fueling from the stock fuel system/93 alone can only give you so much. The power difference between the CTR turbo and MHI turbo on 93 are very similar and really just not worth the $1000 difference if you’re not changing your fueling.
You’re going to need to run meth and E30 to get big gains.

That seems to be everyone’s issue is fuel pressure on 93. Stock pump can’t keep up.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've heard that you can increase the inside diameter on the fuel line's flow restriction to help with this somewhat
Band-Aids at best. Someone needs a high pressure fuel pump upgrade to further advance this platform is my guess. Upgrading the regular fuel pump will only do so much in a di engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If anyone would know it's him, good to know. Honestly, I may still consider it so that I can get better headroom for future power of I decide to go beyond 93 octane and in the meantime hopefully maintain a nice level of reliability since the turbo won't be getting pushed to it's limits

Tha ks for the insight... hopefully there's compatibility with HPFP's in the future, but I won't hold my breath

Anyone who's interested in getting something like this made should go voice your support on Hondatas forums

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.