1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
318 Posts
Would have never imaged there would be so much comparison between the new Accord and the Type R. Pretty amazing what Honda has packaged into their "family sedan".
There is potential to install the bigger turbocharger from the CTR onto the Accord.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lets hope that aftermarket starts to pick up for the new Accord, but its definitely got sleeper written all over it. Really hoping that we see some heavily modded models in the upcoming months.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There's a lot of similarities between the two models like the cylinder head integrated exhaust manifold, air-to-air intercooler, sodium-filled exhaust valves, 9.8:1 compression ratio, etc. But the smaller-diameter turbocharger may prevent you from using the Type R aftermarket mods/tunes on the new Accord.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a guy doing a Type R turbo swap right now. Its in for tuning as we speak. If you are looking for Accord related mods, PRL is doing presale for their downpipe and RV6 is too. The PRL DP for the 2.0T is bigger than the RV6

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anywhere we can go to have a look at that turbo swap once its completed? Has there been any estimations on what improvements to performance we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
821 Posts
There is a guy doing a Type R turbo swap right now. Its in for tuning as we speak. If you are looking for Accord related mods, PRL is doing presale for their downpipe and RV6 is too. The PRL DP for the 2.0T is bigger than the RV6
Any updates on the turbo swap/tuning?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is an old article and I am sure some of you already seen it. But this is some really good info if your thinking of going all out performance on the new Accord 2.0T.
https://jalopnik.com/heres-exactly-what-makes-the-2018-honda-accord-and-civi-1820164645
Hopefully this clarifies lots of things between the two and minimizes questions and concerns.

The ECUs are also different - the CTR version must be physically modified in order to tune it; currently you must remove and send it off for alteration, or purchase a separate ECU (so you can have warranty work done if needed?). Then you need a tuner.
Not sure if the "tuner" (ie Ktuner or Hondata) kits are the same for the CTR and Accord 2.0 - would doubt it, though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
List all the Difference - the List will be Quite Long : Intake, Air Box , Lines for Fuel , Turbo Gasket , Injectors , Coolant & Oil lines - Feeding Turbo same with Line going back ..
PVC Routing , other Items mentioned above , Plus several others .. Think I lost Count - past 28 Items ..

All Honda Differences aren't Easily over come either , as they have Complicated Packaging . Once You start to do something on 1 Item You have 3-4-5 Other things have to be Moved , Mod'd
Or Replaced ..
I Wish Honda had paid better attention to Brake Booster Cly. & Placement of Brake Fluid Reservoir - this would Allowed the Battery to Be Placed 2-3 Inches Closer to the Firewall. .
Or they should had Moved all those Items Father towards the Drivers Fender well and the Battery Could have been (( Placed sideways Up against the Firewall & Lower within a Heat Control Battery Box ))
Not just wrapped with Foam . There is Massive Room behind the Motor where this would have been a lower center of Gravity and moved weight backwards - Behind the Front Axle Pivot Point !
Would have made the Engine Bay arrangement Much Cleaner . .

·
Registered
534 Posts
Another Coment on R Type Differances . . to .. Accord

The Placement of the Clutch Assembly & Brake Master Cly set up - More Consideration was given due to Limited Space .. So The
Battery is able to be push backwards 2 inches , they also Used a Shorter Battery - this - Allows for much Cleaner & Larger Air Box to Funnel Cool Air . .

Accord needs Help in that Area as Efficiency is being lost in Afternoon Temps , Cooler Location for the Oil Filter would help some .. but More Fresh Air
From outside the - Engine Bay would be A Big Plus !

·
Registered
534 Posts
I Know You Missed It - Just Incase You Didn't

https://jalopnik.com/heres-exactly-what-makes-the-2018-honda-accord-and-civi-1820164645
Going Back over the Differences on Two 2.0T Motors again , but this Time _ I _ was looking at Heat Related - Transfer and Other

Heat Related Design Changes . Besides the Better Oil Control with Crank Windage Tray and Heavier Oil Pan to Adsorb Heat ..on the R

I stated Looking @ Lines as something caught My Eye the Type R brings Coolant into Turbo Coolant Feed from Top - Pushed Downward

Out the Bottom of the Coolant Ports in Turbo's Water Jack ..

The 2.0T with Smaller Turbo Coolant Feed comes in from Bottom is Slightly Smaller , but Upward Flow of Heat in Coolant Mix
Naturally Goes Up - on Smaller Turbo is taken away Via a Larger Line @ Top then on Type R - Very Interesting - Honda Reversed the Flow ..

Now a Larger Line on the Top of Turbo's Coolant Jacket Pocket - might allow for small Heat Exchange during Shut Down . . .( Hot & Cooler Currents ) in Exit Pipe heading Up & Over ..
Certainly Line - Cools way Faster then Chunk of PH4 with 55 Times the Mass ..

Smaller Line In-feed most Likely is to Warm the Turbo Up Quicker or Better Yet - Run Turbo in Hotter Heat Range to Keep it Eff% Up ..( Like Blanket but Without ) . .

This Begs Question , did Honda Testing Guys Note some Cooling issues with ( Shut Down ) on Type R - Hence the Reversing Coolant Flow ~
Did Honda Testing Determine that Bottom Flow of Coolant into Turbo Coolant Jacket was Better for the Oil as that is Oils Exit Point - Where

Oil would be It's Hottest ..

ALSO :

Now I'm wondering If - Guys Swapped Type R Turbo Noticed this At All -As it all Seemed to Go Quite & Been Quite . ( Maybe they Never Spotted It )

They just Shoved the 2.0T Coolant Line - Unto the Type R's Turbo Coolant Port ~:nerd:~ Most Likely Running Better Inter~Cooler so didn't Notice anything
Writing Book ~ On How to Shorten Life of Turbo by 50%

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just Adding Pic of the Coolant Lines

Coolant Lines on Accord 2.0T ~ Note smaller coolant in feed line .

R Type is same Dia. on both Exit and In Feed of Coolant Lines ( Size as Larger Exit Line on Smaller Turbo )

If I was doing Stage 2 or Stage 3 - I'd have an Oil Cooler is Must .. R Type has Water to Oil Cooler - which would only help Maintain Oil Temps ..
Cooler Sits at the Bottom of Water Pump and Isn't Adaptable to Our Motor .. Our Motor has NO Oil Cooler at all .. Hello ~ Oil Cooler Must !

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts