2018 Honda Accord Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting ready to put on my snow tires and was looking for the key adapter for the wheel locks and could not find it. I looked at my wheels closely and discovered that the locks were not there anymore! I distinctly remember my sales guy pointing them out to me when I took delivery and I even saw the key in the trunk tray. I only brought it in for service just the one time for the rear camera recall. That's the only time I have had it in for service of any kind. I emailed my sales guy. This is annoying petty theft in my books. I thought pretty highly of their service before, but this just lowered them by 3 stars unless they make things right!

·
Administrator
2,544 Posts
That sucks if somebody in service took the locks.

FYI the dealership should have a master set of the "keys" so they don't even need to use yours to remove wheels (that's what I was told by my dealer) if for any reason you don't have yours when wheel needs to be removed at dealership.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the OEM is only $65 and McGard is even cheaper. It's trivial but really annoying to discover something like this. OTOH I like driving around in my snow tires in DRY NJ ;-). I have 215X55R17 and they feel nice and light and the ride is less harsh than the OEM 40 series...

·
Registered
213 Posts
This happened to me once also.

I brought the car in for service and the dealer replaced my wheel locks with standard lugs without telling. I didn't notice until six months later after I went to replace a flat tire, and low and behold ... no wheel locks! I was pissed because I had been riding around thinking that my wheels were secure (somewhat) from theft. I check my air pressure regularly, but never noticed the wheel locks were replaced.

I confronted the dealership and they gave me new wheel locks. That's also when I learned that my service department never uses your "unique" wheel lock key, but a master key. They gave me some flimsy excuse about the locks wearing out after removing them so many times which is why they replaced the locks with standard lugs ... BS! I lost confidence with the service department and avoid them like the plague.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know, and this time they have no excuse because I had the car in for the Rear Camera recall! They did not even have to rotate the tires!

·
Administrator
2,544 Posts
This happened to me once also.

I brought the car in for service and the dealer replaced my wheel locks with standard lugs without telling. I didn't notice until six months later after I went to replace a flat tire, and low and behold ... no wheel locks! I was pissed because I had been riding around thinking that my wheels were secure (somewhat) from theft. I check my air pressure regularly, but never noticed the wheel locks were replaced.

I confronted the dealership and they gave me new wheel locks. That's also when I learned that my service department never uses your "unique" wheel lock key, but a master key. They gave me some flimsy excuse about the locks wearing out after removing them so many times which is why they replaced the locks with standard lugs ... BS! I lost confidence with the service department and avoid them like the plague.
Unfrickenbelieveable!!!! Why would the dealership sell/install them in the first place if this was the case... Some of the BS some dealer employee's tell customer's blows my mind... Times like this when they utter total BS would be a good time to record them saying it... that or either ask them if they mind putting that in writing on the service ticket for your records... see how quick they retract that statement. Ooops!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sales guy said he would take care of me, just bring it around next time. I have email trail where he said this so I'm not worried. At least they didn't make up any stories to aggravate me...

·
Registered
133 Posts
The sales guy said he would take care of me, just bring it around next time. I have email trail where he said this so I'm not worried. At least they didn't make up any stories to aggravate me...
So let me get this straight you have 20 standard lugs, not 16 and 4 locks right?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So let me get this straight you have 20 standard lugs, not 16 and 4 locks right?
Yes, I now have 20 standard lugs. I used to have 16 +4 locks but someone swapped the 4 locks out with standard lugs and took the key that was in the trunk tray! They probably thought I would never notice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you don't mind sharing the name of the dealership as a fellow Jerseyite I too will avoid that place
at all cost.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you don't mind sharing the name of the dealership as a fellow Jerseyite I too will avoid that place
at all cost.
I'll PM you with the info. You know that NJ is the absolute worst in terms of Honda dealerships, specially those located along the highways. This one is not bad all things considered and I may continue to go there for warranty work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ok so im pretty sure this has happened to me and gone unnoticed 😡. Ive had my car 2 years now and the lugs really arent something im paying all that much attention to.

The only reason i notice now is because i took my stock wheels/tires to discounttire to have them put back on (taking off winter set). When I got there I completely forgot to bring my oem lugs, so DT sold me some for like $5. Anyways this past weekend i go to swap those off because theyre silver and i want the oem black ones back on.

Friday Im looking for the key in the gorilla box from my winter set that has the oem lugs in it and cant find it. I look in the dash theres a key so i grab it. Well a cpl days later im doing the swap and notice the key says gorilla on it, i look at all my lugs and theyre regular lugs.

Who's the culprit, i have no idea. Ive had 3 rotations at the dealership, and the 1 initial swap with DT when i got the winter setup. My guess is the dealership after reading your stories. Damn this is shady as ****, and why!?

·
Administrator
2,544 Posts
The revival of this thread had me paranoid and I had to go check my wheels.... locks still there. I've had couple services done on my car (oil change/tire rotation), back up camera recall, and warranty work done since owning mine. I had been having the same tech work on my car, established a relationship with him, and he knew (and respected) how anal I am about my car.... so much to that fact that I had to have some warranty work done and stopped by dealership to see if he could get it done one day and he told the service advisor he was to greasy to get in my car to do it that day. Unfortunately due to the pandemic and reduction of hours/pay because of lack of work he has left to pursue another career.... I now have to establish a new relationship w/another tech.😟

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
383 Posts
I now have to establish a new relationship w/another tech.😟
I feel you Sir! Same thing happened to me recently - the last service writer I trusted at my local dealership left for an independent shop far away... There were two others prior to him that also left - hate going through the process of vetting another one!

Re: missing wheel locks - man, that is EFFED UP! Gives a new meaning to "Stealerships"! >:|

·
Administrator
2,544 Posts
...hate going through the process of vetting another one!
Tell me about it... talked to my salesperson (he had recommended previous tech) who gave me another name. Hopefully I will be as happy w/him as I was w/the previous... however... just recently had some warranty work done by the new guy (front ACC plug replaced), picked the car up (due to my anal nature I always check everything before leaving) and found the wireless charger wasn't working. To replace the ACC plug the console had to be taken apart so I wanted to make sure everything was operable. Went back in told SA what was wrong and they took the car right back in and a couple minutes later it was corrected... stated the plug wasn't all the way seated/clipped. Hoping this will put the new guy on notice that I'm an anal (proudly said) customer and he will need to make sure everything is done correctly... will save us both time. 🤞

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll PM you with the info. You know that NJ is the absolute worst in terms of Honda dealerships, specially those located along the highways. This one is not bad all things considered and I may continue to go there for warranty work.
Like the one's on RT 22;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have no idea how long or when they went missing so even if it was the very 1st service ive made it 2 years now no issues.

BUT since i do have 1 lone silver lug because of my mishap im debating on buying a gorilla set or just going out and finding 1 lug to replace the silver. Probably just grab the one as I may end up buying new wheels next summer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts