2018 Honda Accord Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2018 Honda Accord Touring Edition Hybrid and have run into multiple design limitations that are all very disappointing. These have all been verified directly with Honda Corporate Tech Support across multiple calls. Curious if others have observed these limitations.

1) HandsFreeLink has a hard limit of 2000 contacts – and you cannot select which of your contacts it chooses to sync. Many sales or business development people (those who also tend to drive and make calls the most) have more contacts than this. This is a “showstopper” limitation as it means handsfree dialing and texting is not possible using HFL. The only other option to enable handsfree dialing and texting is to bypass Honda’s technology entirely requires and use an “old school” USB cable in combination with Android Auto or Apple’s similar product. Very disappointing limitation on behalf of Honda…and creates showstopper issue for handsfree use which is a significant consumer safety issue created by lack of solid Honda engineering design.
2) Navigation audio volume cannot be turned entirely off. The volume cannot be set to zero from within the navigation settings or volume control – you can only turn it down to “1”. The only way to set to zero “0” is to locate “System Sounds” in the main “Settings” menu. However, even when the navigation audio is set to zero using this method, the navigation audio still mutes the stereo or music volume when the navigation “thinks” it’s talking. And then if you go to adjust your music volume, it can easily turn the navigation audio/volume back on inadvertently – absolutely maddening. So you once again have to get out of navigation and into the master “settings” menu and drill down three times to set the navigation audio back to zero. Absolutely absurd design – not sure how this one passed any form of consumer testing…
3) I also cannot use a Bluetooth earbud like I could in my 2014 Accord without disabling HandsFreeLink (HFL) and all the remote capabilities possible with HFL. You now have to use the car’s speakerphone which is not desirable for business calls or when taking calls with others in the car for privacy or to gain the higher quality using a BT earbud. And Android Auto also overrides use of a Bluetooth earbud and defaults to the car speakerphone making it extremely difficult to use a BT earbud in this car. Very disappointing as this is fundamental to people who make many business calls from the car.

·
Registered
835 Posts
(( Texting should be allowed in Head Up - Display )) via Voice Commands , then there should be a Way to Code ( Groups of Text ) LIKE

I'll be 1 Hour Late Work Meeting - Code #1
I'll Be 1/2 Hour Late Fuel Stop & Traffic - Code #2
I'll be 15 Min. Late due to Traffic - Code #3

I'm 3 min. Out _ Coming In Hot ! Code #4

So all Your Saying is Code 3 , or Code 1 - Code 4 _ Via Voice - Hey They have an App for that . .

·
Registered
53 Posts
EngTech1 - You, too, probably aren't a fan of Android Auto like randeron but Android Auto does let you text via voice.
Me: "Hey Google"
Car: "BING!"
Me: "Send Connie at work a text message"
Car: "What is the message for Connie?"
Me: "I am 3 blocks away but stuck at a train crossing. I should be at work in about 10 minutes"
Car: "Your message is [blah blah blah]. Do you wish me to send or change the message?" <--something like that
Me: "Send"
Car: "Message sent"
::fews minutes goes by::
==Message from Connie== Press read banner
Car: "Connie says 'No worries, apparently everyone is running late'..Do you wish to reply?"
Me: "No"

Me personally I don't use the Honda navigation or even AM/FM/XM radio. I got A.A. with Pandora, I Heart Radio, a 64 gig USB with days worth of music on it and utilize WAZE navigation to get me from point A to point B fast and inform me of cops, construction, reroutes me if accident or slow traffic detected, etc...Also if someone does facebook messenger talk, it is treated like a phone call.
The Honda stuff is just on standby. I really don't use it as hardcore as your guys probably do.

·
Super Moderator
1,847 Posts
EngTech1 - You, too, probably aren't a fan of Android Auto like randeron but Android Auto does let you text via voice.
Me: "Hey Google"
Car: "BING!"
Me: "Send Connie at work a text message"
Car: "What is the message for Connie?"
Me: "I am 3 blocks away but stuck at a train crossing. I should be at work in about 10 minutes"
Car: "Your message is [blah blah blah]. Do you wish me to send or change the message?" <--something like that
Me: "Send"
Car: "Message sent"
::fews minutes goes by::
==Message from Connie== Press read banner
Car: "Connie says 'No worries, apparently everyone is running late'..Do you wish to reply?"
Me: "No"

Me personally I don't use the Honda navigation or even AM/FM/XM radio. I got A.A. with Pandora, I Heart Radio, a 64 gig USB with days worth of music on it and utilize WAZE navigation to get me from point A to point B fast and inform me of cops, construction, reroutes me if accident or slow traffic detected, etc...Also if someone does facebook messenger talk, it is treated like a phone call.
The Honda stuff is just on standby. I really don't use it as hardcore as your guys probably do.
Android Auto definitely makes things easier IMO too... I still use my XM but for all the other features you mention (texting, Waze, phone calls, etc.) I think it's much smarter/easier than using the OEM stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Item
I recently purchased a 2018 Honda Accord Touring Edition Hybrid and have run into multiple design limitations that are all very disappointing. These have all been verified directly with Honda Corporate Tech Support across multiple calls. Curious if others have observed these limitations.

1) HandsFreeLink has a hard limit of 2000 contacts – and you cannot select which of your contacts it chooses to sync. Many sales or business development people (those who also tend to drive and make calls the most) have more contacts than this. This is a “showstopper” limitation as it means handsfree dialing and texting is not possible using HFL. The only other option to enable handsfree dialing and texting is to bypass Honda’s technology entirely requires and use an “old school” USB cable in combination with Android Auto or Apple’s similar product. Very disappointing limitation on behalf of Honda…and creates showstopper issue for handsfree use which is a significant consumer safety issue created by lack of solid Honda engineering design.
2) Navigation audio volume cannot be turned entirely off. The volume cannot be set to zero from within the navigation settings or volume control – you can only turn it down to “1”. The only way to set to zero “0” is to locate “System Sounds” in the main “Settings” menu. However, even when the navigation audio is set to zero using this method, the navigation audio still mutes the stereo or music volume when the navigation “thinks” it’s talking. And then if you go to adjust your music volume, it can easily turn the navigation audio/volume back on inadvertently – absolutely maddening. So you once again have to get out of navigation and into the master “settings” menu and drill down three times to set the navigation audio back to zero. Absolutely absurd design – not sure how this one passed any form of consumer testing…
3) I also cannot use a Bluetooth earbud like I could in my 2014 Accord without disabling HandsFreeLink (HFL) and all the remote capabilities possible with HFL. You now have to use the car’s speakerphone which is not desirable for business calls or when taking calls with others in the car for privacy or to gain the higher quality using a BT earbud. And Android Auto also overrides use of a Bluetooth earbud and defaults to the car speakerphone making it extremely difficult to use a BT earbud in this car. Very disappointing as this is fundamental to people who make many business calls from the car.

I find Item #2 especially annoying. Like you said if you do figure out how to mute the Navi voice, it still reduces the volume on whatever you are listening to when it tries to say something. I use Android Auto and Waze maps now even though I like the Accord graphics better.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If needing more than 2,000 contacts is a "showstopper", then just sell the car and buy something different. Good luck with finding that perfect car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts